197: Start up/exhaust noise bit of a let down?

Rishi

Platinum Member
Was just reading one of the 1st reviews of the 197 and this quote was in it

"Start up the 2.0-litre engine, and you are greeted with a sporty exhaust note which sets the tone for a thrilling drive"

Am i the only one who is greeted by an engine starting & no sporty exhaust note whatsoever?

My car only has 4000 miles on it & has been sat unused for months & months, is this why my exhaust just doesn't sound sporty when starting & mostly during driving?
Or does it just need to be revved above 5k?
Maybe i just cant hear it as i'm in the car...

I ask as its the only let down really, everything else is perfect

Last edited:
Mines the same, need to remove my silencer.

My 182 sounded awesome with a straight through milltek and modified cat.. Could hear it idling in my bedroom lol

It doesn't sound aftermarket sporty but it does sound sporty compared to other cars.

I quite like the sound of my car even without a zorst.

I think the 197/200 standard exhaust sound pap from outside the car. Good from the inside but mince outside.

Im sure it does sound a bit sporty judging by the looks i get, but i can't hear it much in the cabin :worried:

Removing centre box is a good idea, think ill just save up for a new exhaust... ill make a new thread in the relevant section when i can afford one, but feel free to make suggestions :smile:

Theres a 197 directly opposite my place of work & his exhaust sticks out the rear end nicely... haven't heard it yet tho... will ask him to start it up/which exhaust he has if i bump into him

Last edited:
take a trip to renault, book a test drive in a 1.2 clio, start it up, do some miles, then get back to the 197, start it up, if you cant hear the difference then I guess you have the quietest 197 ever :smile: I think it sounds awesome, inside and outside, of course any sport exhaust will have a better note but will also increase the loudness to a level that a 100 mile trip will become a nightmare... I think it is a loud car even as standard, cant imagine how much I would hate it with a louder exhaust, the standard one gives me a headache on long runs itself, maybe if it was my 2nd car rarely used I could go for an aftermarket exhaust, but it being my everyday car I just couldnt live with it if it was any louder...

If you stand outside by the exhaust it sounds 'sporty' on start up. Then when you actually drive it, especially how Renault intended it to be driven, the noise is amazing. A mate of mine commented on my exhaust a couple of weeks ago, saying it was a perfect level of noise and loundness.

Yeah if you drive it properly the exhaust sings, its just hard to get out of the habit of changing gear early

Remove the silencer, £40, my 200 sounds how it should have done out the factory now! Rasp pop bang fart! Lovely!!

I think the standard exhaust has the right balance of rasp/subtlety to satisfy the mass market.

If they'd have made it how it should've been from standard (a la centre box removed) then no doubt a lot of people would've moaned about it being too loud/chavvy/attention grabbing etc. I think it's a hard balance for a manufacturer to get right. Take it to a tunnel and give it some beans in 2nd and 3rd from low revs right up until the shift light comes on and I'll gaurantee it'll sound sporty.

I'm one of the ''No Centre Box'' brigade though, it sounds f#cking immense with that gone but it's not OTT at idle or cruising. :smiley:

The more miles mines gets on it the better it sounds! :smile: For her being standard its sounds pretty good. Hopefully yours will get better with some more miles on it! :wink:

The more miles mines gets on it the better it sounds! :smile: For her being standard its sounds pretty good. Hopefully yours will get better with some more miles on it! :wink:

+1

More miles on it will free it up loads.

I've just hit 25k and mine sounds better than ever. Pops and bangs a touch on down shifts :thumbup:

If you're after a quick fix take the parcel shelf out and/or put the back seats down, should hear the soundtrack then.

Indeed, mine was at 35,000 when I took the centre box out so the exhaust was nicely bedded in by then.

On the vids in the thread about the boxes, it does sound quite different to Deakos 200 with lower mileage.

+1

I've just hit 25k and mine sounds better than ever. Pops and bangs a touch on down shifts :thumbup:

Its true, when i got to keep it above 4k on a twisty road even for only 10-15 seconds, afterwards the entire car felt loosened up & excited, so it's definitely going to get better with time

If you're after a quick fix take the parcel shelf out and/or put the back seats down, should hear the soundtrack then

Good idea! Im even gonna take the boot mat out :smile:

QUOTE=GlassJaw;150651]+1

If you're after a quick fix take the parcel shelf out and/or put the back seats down, should hear the soundtrack then.[/QUOTE]

:blush:hmy: - mines just hit 24k! :biggrin:[

Following my mates r26 with full miltek on a "spirited drive" yesterday made the clio sound a bit soft, but i still like it. I ask a fabricator friend to remove my centre silencer but he refused what with it being so new...which made me think id better not go playing with things.

Used to love it when me and the same lad had 106 gti's, stainless manifolds and grp n exhausts system....sounded immmmmmmense!!