I want some bass

What can I do?

I don't want a big sub in the boot, nor do I want to spend a massive amount?

Any ideas. Links would be great :smile:

Im pretty sure you can get subs now which sit underneath the passenger seat. A google ssarch should bring them up but i have no idea on costs etc, I should imagine it would come down to how good a system you want/which make you go for.

You would have to mount an amp somewhere though unless someone has any other ideas?

James

i picked up an active (with amp built in) JBL sub for £89, its fairly small & does the job

good luck running the power cable to battery!

I can second the JBL that Maharishi is recommending got 1 my self and gives excellent bass for it's size and fits in boot nicely also used 2 sets of bungees attached to the luggage strap hooks to hold in place to the side
IMG_0064.gif

Last edited:
Been looking at some good door speakers. Anyone recommend?

I fitted Infinity components in front doors/dash with crossover under each side of dash bit of customising to get to fit with their 13cm & 13cm 3 ways in rear panels which were straight in & fit. Pioneer did some oem connector ones for fronts but don't now if still available as few months back everyone out and getting told on back order

I fitted Infinity components in front doors/dash with crossover under each side of dash bit of customising to get to fit with their 13cm & 13cm 3 ways in rear panels which were straight in & fit. Pioneer did some oem connector ones for fronts but don't now if still available as few months back everyone out and getting told on back order

Which infinity comps did you go for? Kappa?

I installed the tweets on the trim that goes on the back of the door mirrors, excellent place for them sound wise, then managed to blow one of them even using the xover & now have the cheaper jbl tweets until the kappas come back in stock.

I put some infinity coax's in the rear & had an electrical problem there, one side sparked (metal to metal) as i installed it, then the tweeter actually overheated & melted off the speaker, i got a replacement that worked ok for a week then same thing happened, no problem at all with the standard plastic renault speakers in the rear though, really annoyed me with those rear speakers, £60 down the pi**hole

i like the bungee straps :wink:

Last edited:
Which infinity comps did you go for? Kappa?

I installed the tweets on the trim that goes on the back of the door mirrors, excellent place for them sound wise, then managed to blow one of them even using the xover & now have the cheaper jbl tweets until the kappas come back in stock.

I put some infinity coax's in the rear & had an electrical problem there, one side sparked (metal to metal) as i installed it, then the tweeter actually overheated & melted off the speaker, i got a replacement that worked ok for a week then same thing happened, no problem at all with the standard plastic renault speakers in the rear though, really annoyed me with those rear speakers, £60 down the pi**hole

i like the bungee straps :wink:

The 3 ways are comps which I previously had in my scooby so 5 years old and fronts were the newer kappa ones which came out this year I'll try to find the model numbers.

Never had a problem with faults having used Infinity for a long time now but like anything electrical you can be lucky or unlucky. Although your problem sounds like defect from manufacturing if it sparked when fitting, only problem I had was the big magnets would pull the speaker to the metal work while trying to line it up.

Did you buy them from known supplier as I know for passed few years and especially on fleabay lots of chinese copies which are not fit for purpose.

JBL good choice as that was on my list just at the time got better deal with the Infinity components.

yeah i got this years kappa comps on the front aswell, really amazing speakers, although i will have had to have new tweeters twice in total, maybe my fault as i didnt use the xover at first & just used the cars factory tweeter wire, it started crackling so then got it swapped over, then the other one went about a month later when i was really over blasting the speakers, i had no sub/rear speakers to fill in the sound so turned em up way too loud, that time was def my fault :001_rolleyes:

the coax's i got for the rear were from one of the biggest distributers for car audio in the uk so no chinese copies :wink: it could be a faulty batch of speakers i guess, but the shop i got em from only swap once

the sound is amazing right now anyway, the infinity comps at the front, the sub in the back & the renault factory speakers in the rear which fill in mids nicely :thumbup: all i need to do is get the infinity kappa tweeters back in there as they def sound nicer than the cheaper jbl ones i got, although the jbl's look more inconspicuous in the car as they're small/black

Id love to see a pic of your tweets if you got one to hand..

Last edited:
Without a decent size sub your not going to get bass your happy with. Like you I didn't want to see a big ugly box in the boot.

So i used to my advantage that the 197/200's don't have spare tyres and made a slim boot floor enclosure for a 10 inch sub and amp. The bass from this sealed box is amazing and I had to turn the gains on the amp down as the bass was a bit to much.

Note the sub enclosure is actually sealed and the ports in the pictures are just for access to screw the enclosure down.

bareo.jpg

paintedc.jpg

fittedq.jpg

openia.jpg

finalky.jpg

Ive got a little pioneer under seat sub that work spot on. Just the right amount of bass not to powering and enough to keep me happy :smile:

ive got the pioner underseat sub and works great for me with being to boom boom boom, and the brackets on the sub more or less line up with the brackets/fixing on the seat rails, looks like it suppose to be there.

yeah i got this years kappa comps on the front aswell, really amazing speakers, although i will have had to have new tweeters twice in total, maybe my fault as i didnt use the xover at first & just used the cars factory tweeter wire, it started crackling so then got it swapped over, then the other one went about a month later when i was really over blasting the speakers, i had no sub/rear speakers to fill in the sound so turned em up way too loud, that time was def my fault :001_rolleyes:

the coax's i got for the rear were from one of the biggest distributers for car audio in the uk so no chinese copies :wink: it could be a faulty batch of speakers i guess, but the shop i got em from only swap once

the sound is amazing right now anyway, the infinity comps at the front, the sub in the back & the renault factory speakers in the rear which fill in mids nicely :thumbup: all i need to do is get the infinity kappa tweeters back in there as they def sound nicer than the cheaper jbl ones i got, although the jbl's look more inconspicuous in the car as they're small/black

Id love to see a pic of your tweets if you got one to hand..

the tweeters are totally stealth in Oe position as I basically cut the original tweeter out of it's mount (that clips into OE dash cover and then removed the casing from new ones and used epoxy resin to bond into OE tweeter casing and that now clips into OE dash cover, :smile: amazing what uses you can put a dremel too

went to my local audio about this said i didnt want a huge sub or amp due to space in the boot i needed ect so got priced 1300 notes for the following

alpine type R speakers front and rear with tweaters
8 in kicker sub
and amp i cant remember what its called but was 1000 watts tiny little thing which can be stacked ontop of eachother and boosts the power out put and took up hardly any space in the car at all didnt get it in the end due to the car being written off but ill be going in after new year i think to have it done

Without a decent size sub your not going to get bass your happy with. Like you I didn't want to see a big ugly box in the boot.

So i used to my advantage that the 197/200's don't have spare tyres and made a slim boot floor enclosure for a 10 inch sub and amp. The bass from this sealed box is amazing and I had to turn the gains on the amp down as the bass was a bit to much.

Note the sub enclosure is actually sealed and the ports in the pictures are just for access to screw the enclosure down.

bareo.jpg

paintedc.jpg

fittedq.jpg

openia.jpg

finalky.jpg

I'm definitely doing this after christmas! :thumbup: