Recaros and cabasse

Big Ben

Loves to rag the VAG!
Paid Member
Thinking of swapping standard leather interior on my 197 to some recaros.

I’ve got the upgraded cabasse audio with the amp thingy under the drivers seat.

Question is does a Recaro still fit over the top or will I have to lose the cabasse?

TIA

I can help you with that I've done that very thing and it is able to be done. My answer is to put the amp under the passenger seat as it's the height adjustment that when you tip and slide the seat forward the cross bar can hit the back of the amp enclosure still enough room to get in and out but not generous. The other option is to fit the amp lower on the seat brackets I mean on the underside with a bit of plate so the amp backend can tip lower under the bar. I retro fitted the Cabasse unit and the cable have enough to go under the passenger seat I must get round to it.

Reactions: Pav and Big Ben
I can help you with that I've done that very thing and it is able to be done. My answer is to put the amp under the passenger seat as it's the height adjustment that when you tip and slide the seat forward the cross bar can hit the back of the amp enclosure still enough room to get in and out but not generous. The other option is to fit the amp lower on the seat brackets I mean on the underside with a bit of plate so the amp backend can tip lower under the bar. I retro fitted the Cabasse unit and the cable have enough to go under the passenger seat I must get round to it.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Appreciate it

The Recaro's are great, as the passenger side has a lot of space underneath that would be perfect. I really think the subframes could do with a good bit of weight saving and height decrease though!

Reactions: Big Ben
Ben the amp casing just needs the rivet drilled off and then put onto the recaros, it's not hard at all.

I was going to do it on my recaros but the recaros already had it done, I had no problem with sliding forward on mine neither.

Ben the amp casing just needs the rivet drilled off and then put onto the recaros, it's not hard at all.

I was going to do it on my recaros but the recaros already had it done, I had no problem with sliding forward on mine neither.
That’s what I was hoping Suj.

But I’ve bought Megane recaros and with them lowered to where I want them height wise there is no physical way the amp unit fits. Must be a different design to the Clio ones? They sit very low which is a plus mainly

Reactions: suj
That’s what I was hoping Suj.

But I’ve bought Megane recaros and with them lowered to where I want them height wise there is no physical way the amp unit fits. Must be a different design to the Clio ones? They sit very low which is a plus mainly
Oh if they are megane ones then yeah you may struggle, I got an aftermarket stereo without the amp, as the plugs are hidden at the top, I got it for Bluetooth for my music and handsfree calling, it might be easier just doing that maybe?

Oh if they are megane ones then yeah you may struggle, I got an aftermarket stereo without the amp, as the plugs are hidden at the top, I got it for Bluetooth for my music and handsfree calling, it might be easier just doing that maybe?
That is an option mate. I do have a single CD head unit from a Renault though that I’m keen to fit. Will see how it pans out