How many miles you got on your 197/200/200T/182/172/Fiesta ST now ???

Cars are made to be driven, when buying a used car I wouldn't place any emphasis on looking for a "low mileage" example as its probably better that a car is used daily and not sat doing nothing for weeks or months on end or just used at the weekend for short trips.

couldn't disagree more, I do believe that some older cars do benefit from a little use here or there. I have a few older cars and sometimes after long periods of storage a small problem will raise its head but in general youl get far less problems than a higher mileage car, which im not knocking by the way, I've had a few.
Problem is im an ultra fuss pot and things have to be right, and cars have to look and feel a certain way, and you only get this with low mileage cars, if stored corectly and looked after of course.

Last edited:
Sure, I think 20k on a 20 year old car could be classed as extremely low miles.. 1k a year, that's like 20 miles a week on average. I think only my old neighbours D reg Montego has covered less.. Lol. You should have it in a showroom.

edit. Be nice to see some pics btw

spends 80% of its time in a cairoport, I have some pics, I've not a clue how to upload, I am to computers what Brilcream was to kojak.....

Last edited:
Cars are made to be driven, when buying a used car I wouldn't place any emphasis on looking for a "low mileage" example as its probably better that a car is used daily and not sat doing nothing for weeks or months on end or just used at the weekend for short trips.

Don't agree with it, surely a car wouldn't be economical to run anymore before of its mileage, not its age.

Don't agree with it, surely a car wouldn't be economical to run anymore before of its mileage, not its age.

I'm not saying I would look at age first and look for high millage cars. If I went to view a 3 year old car that was less than 10K on the clock say. I'd be asking questions to how it was used, how long it had been sat doing nothing.

cars that sit doing nothing suffer with lots of problems.
There's been plenty of posts on here of cars with numerous and repeated mechanical problems that are Sunday drivers.

I stand by what I say cars are made to be driven

I'm not saying I would look at age first and look for high millage cars. If I went to view a 3 year old car that was less than 10K on the clock say. I'd be asking questions to how it was used, how long it had been sat doing nothing.

cars that sit doing nothing suffer with lots of problems.
There's been plenty of posts on here of cars with numerous and repeated mechanical problems that are Sunday drivers.

I stand by what I say cars are made to be driven

some cars are just problematic, right from the off and your just unlucky if you get one, wouldn't matter if they had 5 miles on them or 50k, especially a car like the clio wich has its niggles. My last one which I just sold didn't give me one little glitch and was perfect in its 3.5 yr and 2.5k miles, and I can say the same for all the other cars ive owned too, and im talking from experience.

Dunno Kev, depends if you fall into that category :wink: .. The one that gets in the car on a weekend morning, does 30 miles then leaves it for a week or two.

Millage is not a definitive indicator of how well looked after a car is.

its only long periods of storage that may cause issues, im talking years here, a few miles weekly makes no difference.
I do agree that mileage is not sometimes a good indicator of condition. The type of owner, how the car has been stored and cared for is everthing. I've seen some very very tatty low mileage cars in my time because they've been in the wrong hands.