Fuel Consumption - How many miles do you get from a FULL TANK?

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
Me and a mate have been having a debate whether or not we could manage a trip to and from Newcastle on one full tank of fuel. He told me it was 400 miles.

So, based on the fact the Clio has a 55 litre or a 12.1 gallon fuel tank, anything over 33.3mpg would mean that 400 miles would just be acheivable in the Clio.

Yesterday on the way to the National Meet, I managed an overall of 31.8 mpg. That includes having a little blast, eccelerating hard on to the motorway at several points and some town driving.

I would imagine, judging by past trips, that 33.3 mpg is easily achieved. I think, if you were being sensible and trying your best to save fuel, you could manage 36mpg, probably more in the Clio with out a problem, meaning that you could do 436 miles(36 mpg). Even in his standard Civic Type R this should be easy to get.

Has anyone else done more than 400 miles on a tank?

well from dunkque in france to my hotel door at the ring in germany i use 3/4 of a tank got at 70 all the way, before my remap i was getting 37.7, after the remap 35.6

Last edited:
No, never had more than 350 and that was a rare occasion, more like 300.

This is the main reason I sold the Clio!!

High 20's on a 300 mile tank.

31.3 ish is the highest I have had and on a 350 tank on a long motorway journey.

well from dunkque in france to my hotel door at the ring in germany i use 3/4 of a tank got at 70 all the way

That's only 277 miles?

What mpg was that on? That sounds 5h!t!

Last edited:
I don't think iv ever had 300 miles, my trip computer said 340 miles i got but it soon plummeted.

I get an average of 31.9mpg or 32.2 occasionally.

33.3 mpg = 33.3 x 3 = 99.9 miles (quarter of a tank).

99.9 x 4 (4 x 3 = 12 gallons of fuel in a tank) = 399.6 miles.

Ive had the car since feb this year and my mpg..town driving and the odd blat..is 25.9 mpg. Post remap.
My r26 stage 2 megane average was 24.9 mpg!
Go figure...
200 cup now.

On trackdays that goes down to 11MPG. lol

I would say 400miles is definately acheivable if you showed some restraint.

My average is showing 28.2 mpg, thats since i got the car 8500miles ago, never reset the trip. Did work out once though that on a trip from essex to dorset i got an average of 36.8mpg, was well chuffed :smile:
on the flip side i worked out my mpg after a two hour blast on a Sunday morning and it wasn't pretty.........14mpg :'(

400-440?!? If I got that I would never have sold.. I monitored my milage per tank from new and never ever had anywhere near 400.

I have had over 400 miles a couple of times, the car isn't great on the motorway though, with the cruise set at 72mph I would be surprised if you bettered 33mph on a proper journey (rather than just over a flat mile, with an early car at least.

Also don't forget that you would have to be v. brave to use all 55 litres.

Couple of examples;

408 miles, 53.45 litres, 34.7mpg, computer suggested 33.5MPG
409 miles, 50.96 litres, 36.49mpg, computer suggested 33MPG

On my longer journeys I routinely get around 32-35MPG, my average in my sig being brought down by a couple of track days and a few weeks being shunted around the garage.

On a gentle run back from Swansea to Leeds I did get 254 miles out of 28.07 litres, giving 41.14MPG, ave speed of 60.7mph, computer only said 35.4MPG though so either I really juiced it in Swansea or possibly didn't get it really full when I refilled it near home.

All with the shorter 6th gear.

In summary, yes over 400 miles is easily possible on the right journey at least, but you have to drive the car smoothly and economically. Set the cruise at below 70 and you will certainly get more, at the cost of some boredom!

TBH I never really get about 28.5mpg on mine, on a blast I'll get 17-20, and on track I'll get 12-14. I did a return trip to Donington at the weekend with almost all 70mph motorway, with four of us in the car I got 32mpg on the way there and 30mpg on the way back (inc. getting stuck in traffic getting out).

Ye, you would have to have big balls to go to the last mile! But I just wanted to know it was achievable!

On trackdays that goes down to 11MPG. lol

I would say 400miles is definately acheivable if you showed some restraint.

400-440?!? If I got that I would never have sold.. I monitored my milage per tank from new and never ever had anywhere near 400.

I've averaged 34+ from day one. Regularly get 400 miles out of a tank, and come fill up time I've never seen more than 50litres go in. Stop being a lead-foot Maz:wink:.