How does the clio 200 compare?

Yo Guy's,

New to forum coz im thinking of buyin a clio 200 with cup pack added.

Just wondering how they compare to some other hot hatches;

my mate has a 123d and my dad had a focus st (ive seen the vid of 200 vs the RS but don't honestly believe it would stay with it on actual real roads).

I know the clio would be more agile than the above in the bends but would it get killed in straight line coz less torque? or is it well matched?

cheers

In respect to what? A straight line with a Focus RS? You cant compare the 2 together. The Focus RS comparative is the RS Megane 250, A fiesta RS....now that would be in the Clio 200's dust!
The BMW 123 wouldnt keep up with it either, The rev range on a 197/200 is very high, it can do 100mph in 4th gear no problem

For small hot hatches, the 197/200 is right up there with the best, if not the best imo.

Last edited:
I would never turn aorund an buy different than a renaultsport hatch! They are absolutely fantastic for the money!

you will find that video of the rs and clio 200 is very well true, even thous the focus has alot more power, it still has to break earlier than the clio, the clio can accelerate alot better in the bends and twists, the focus cant. clio 197/200 well worth the money, love every min of it.

I struggle to find many cars that can keep up when the road gets windy! The Clio gives you a lot of confidence and is pretty easy to drive fast! I have the 197 cup and the feel through corners is incredible, second to none! Chassis possibly the best I have every experienced?

hmmmmm, thats sounding quite good to me lol,

o and my question was how would it stand up against a focus st in straight line speed not the RS, in straight line the RS would leave it i know that.

I'm booking a test drive for next week in a clio 200 to see what its like. My current fave hot hatch ive test driven was focus st and leon cupra.

authough tbh the leon lacks a little steering feedback, it has good grip when you push on, but its hard to tell when that grips gunna end.

standard 200 vs standard st/ cupra would be very lil difference due to power to weight ratio, ie st/cupra weighing heavier than the 200, the 200 may even piss over it. my opinion neway.

Ive just sold my Mountune 260 st3 for a Clio 200

Enough said.

Dont look at it stright line look at it as: Lets get go down the a-b road and ill kick yours arse focus lol

When you have your test drive, dont expect the power to come on down in the low revs, your gonna have to get it to 4and a half to 5 thousand revs before you get some real power.

"shivers" talking about it is making me look forward to my drive home from work! Its somthing you cant get bored of! imo

awsome, cheers guys just booked my test drive for next week, can't wait.

1 other question, the dreaded mpg. Not summing im really fussed about coz its not what you buy the car for and I only live 6 miles from work, but ever other weekend its an 80 A road and motorway trip to my GF's house, want kind of mpg can i expect just following the traffic? unfotunatly nowhere to go for a burnup on this route as its average speed checks and get camera's all the way.

Now you aksed the wrong question *lol* Mpg is NOT good. But to cheer you up, if youre driving normally and giving it the Beans the difference in consumption will be small. Trackday use etc not calculated. As im not familiar with MPG but with litres per 100km i will not comment on that :wink:

24 mpg round town, 30ish on motorways depending on how you drive, i got 28 mpg in my 197 going from west mids to portsmouth and back, i was driving from the speed limit upto 100mph + on and off, which suprised me to be honest.

Yup you'll never see the bright side of 30mpg....:-(

But then if your worried about mpg turn away now and do not buy one .

Personally have driven both i'd buy a good late 197 .... Over the 200 just don think the extra money is worth it

Awaits 200 owners storming over to mall me to death

awsome, cheers guys just booked my test drive for next week, can't wait.

1 other question, the dreaded mpg. Not summing im really fussed about coz its not what you buy the car for and I only live 6 miles from work, but ever other weekend its an 80 A road and motorway trip to my GF's house, want kind of mpg can i expect just following the traffic? unfotunatly nowhere to go for a burnup on this route as its average speed checks and get camera's all the way.

A run like that in a 200 would give you upto 35mpg if you treat it nicely and don't go too mad.

Mines currently doing approx 25-27mpg running on V-Power and driving pretty hard on shorter trips.

In terms of performance against a Focus ST. I think acceleration you'll be ahead off the line as the dual strut suspension on the 200 is so tight when pulling away (like no wheel spin or torque steer unlike most other hatches). You would probably find the ST gains some ground as you hit 80+ tho...

Trust me mate I had an R27 and now a 200. Every magazine has given them the best reviews, they are absolutely awesome in so many respects! Looks, performance, build quality.

One thing to bear in mind that a low milage demo car might not give you the full picture so don't expect amazing performance. Generally the engine on these cars don't loosen up until well above 15k and they need good fuel (V-Power) to run really well which most dealers seem to skip on :smile:

to hell with mpg, you wouldnt buy a Audi TT and moan about rear leg room, if your buying the Clio or any hothatch to be fair it comes with the territory.

Nothing better than finishing work, walking out to the carpark, and amongst all the boring cars and rep mobiles sits your 197/200 waiting to get ragged on the way home. Radio off, window down just an inch to let the noise in. Gauranteed smile. :jase:

i love my 200 to bits, its aggressive, its responsive, its exciting and it puts a MASSIVE grin on my face, i recently test drove a golf edition 30 gti and it was so boring compared to my clio, look in the motors section i did a review, for example i drove a twisty road in the golf gti ed30 and i didnt even crack a laugh or a smile then went down it in my clio and was laughing my head off.

clio 200 FTW

and on a trip from manchester to london i got 37 mpg averager and at one point i was doing over 120 leptons on the m6 toll :smile:

yo guys,

cheers from info lol, yer just wondered MPG not botherd by it at all as my current car already only does 30mpg max. 1.6 sportka, bit girly i know but was fastest thing i could insure when I was 17 :smile: