How did Renault get away with the front bumper on the 200???

I know the dury is out from some on the styling of the 200 but how did they get away with just changing the bumper!!!! Looks like its just 'attached' and doesn't flow into the headlamp. Looks to me that they retained the same wings and bonnet because of cost but wanted current models to have the same corporate facelift. There must be a new model of the Clio out soon. Don't stop it from being a brill car though....

Last edited:
This picture shows what I mean. Obviously retained front wings from 197 but strange bumper design (only my opinion)

Last edited:
It is pretty bad, if the wing was inline it would look much more finished!!! This is the only front end of a renault i have ever disliked, i always think in any previous RS they all look aggressive and have presence.

I wonder if it's cheaper or more expensive to re-design/make plastic body panels compared to metal?

Oh and it doesn't really both me to be honest.

197 looks mincy.

The 200 is not the best looking car but at least you notice it.

I wouldn't of bought a 197 but I did buy a 200 that says something imo

But looks aside the only reason I purchased a Clio is because there cheap, abuse it, hand it back.

the headlight designer didnt speak to the wing designer who forgot to speak to the bumper designer....hence the hash job that is the 200 front end ;/

I believe the bumper and headlights were made unique to the 200 to prevent 197 owners from giving their cars a 'facelift'.
And likewise you can't fit 197 projectors to a 200...more money for Renault in parts etc.

Either way, I'm not bothered - you can't see it from the drivers seat :wink:

Its easy to facelift a 197 to a 200. Only need a bumper and headlights. Most cars that gain a mid life facelift have redesigned front wings and bonnets...... for example phase 1 172 to phase 2. :wink:

Anyway, that 'join' should have been blended like the Scenic imo, only needed a tweek of the wing

attachment.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think either looks "better" but I prefer the smother look of the 200 over the angular angry look of the 197