Help with analysing front brakes issue

Marsch

Paid Member
Before our "Tour de France" I got completely new brakes all around. Fronts were Brembo Prime Line discs (09.8904.11) with Brembo Sport pads (07.B314.21). Backs are standard with some aftermarket discs (Delphi) and the standard Brembo pads. I also got braided lines all around.

I did about 3.000 km total on this tour with maybe around 500 km of faster driving on curvey/mountain roads. During the end of the last tour organised by the hosts of the meeting we were attending I noticed some slightly weird brake behaviour in the front which basically related to a little more needed pedal pressure. I booked this under heat related and tried to use the brakes a little less in the downward hairpins.
When we were back in Germany I stayed with a buddy for one day. When we arrived we brought his Clio back to his garage which is a couple kilometers away from his home. The drive to and from his garage was a short slightly more spirited "Black Forest" tour. On the way back we both noticed a weird noise like you'll get if you're running shot pads (metal on metal) in the front left. This only happend once and couldn't be replicated. I thought it maybe was a little rock picked up.
On my way home from him on the Autobahn I noticed that the front left brake was chirping when I wasn't on throttle and slightly turned the wheel. There was no judder or any weird behaviour when braking.

This is how the brakes looked when I was back home.

SNV15850.jpg

SNV15852.jpg

Especially the right disc looks like it got some heat stress.

I've already switched them out (same discs) but got me some DS1.11 now which are absolute anchors. I also ordered some normal Brembo pads because the Ferodos are maybe a bit overkill for road use and while looking at pics of them and also Brembo Sport pads again I noticed something strange. All pads seem to have a slot in the center like on the following photo of Brembo Sport pads.

07B31421_internet_2.jpg

The ones that came of my car don't have this.

07B31421_01.jpg

But the part number is the same (07.B314.21).

07B31421_02.jpg

This puzzles me. Have they switched the design between batches or are the ones I got fake? The missing slot could explain the heat damage as it's presumably there for heat dissipation and if it's missing heat will build up faster and stay longer. I've already contacted Brembo to see if they've any input on this.

Would be nice if you could also give me some input on that matter because I'm a little confused about the whole situation.

/edit: I've checked the authenticity of the pads via the card that came with them on their website and they came back as originals.

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-brakes-guide-to-recognizing-fakes (see close to the end)

Still puzzled about the missing slot.

Last edited:
The lack of slot would tie up with what you’ve experienced. They’re there primarily to stop certain harmonics/frequencies, whilst also allowing gas to escape.

Reactions: Marsch