Help! Paint/Laquer Peeling?

Hi chaps, hope someone can help me with this one.

Decided to give the car a quick wash today with the brother-in-law. Jet washed, shampoo'd and polished his and then moved onto the Clio. Gave the clio a quick wash down with the jet wash and then set about applying the shampoo and left the bro-in-law to wash the shampoo off.

This is when this happened:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

He said that he was jet washing it and it looked like a bit of bird ****e so he hit it some more and then it peeled up. I had a look and it looks as though a plastic like film has come away. Could this be laquer? Whatever it is do I need to be worried about it or can it easily be fixed?

Attachments

• WP_20130202_001.jpg
    WP_20130202_001.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 203
  • WP_20130202_002.jpg
    WP_20130202_002.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 199
  • WP_20130202_003.jpg
    WP_20130202_003.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 199
He has definitely hit it hard. This is what sometimes happens when the jet wash is held far too close to the paint (within 10 inches)

Has the bonnet had a respray before? Seems to me like the lacquer has been ripped off. Factory paints usually don't do this as often as a body shop job.

Damn, his car came out fine.

No resprays as far as I am aware, not since I've had it and there is no paperwork to suggest that it has been done prior.

Will I need to get the bonnet resprayed? This doesn't sound like it's going to be a cheap option.

Clios have 10 year anti corrosion warranty, take it to Renault, don't mention jet wash though?

Yes that's the lacquer peeling.

Looks like its been damaged by bird poo and water has got under the lacquer and started to lift it, blasting it with the pressure washer has then removed the lacquer that's already loose.

Not sure if you would be able to sand the edges and do a localised repair or if it would be a respray, you would have to talk to a bodyshop and see what they say.

Balls! Cheers guys, is this something that has to be done sooner rather than later? I imagine that the paint in that area has lost it's protection and is more prone to issues?

Clios have 10 year anti corrosion warranty, take it to Renault, don't mention jet wash though?

I'll take it to Renault Holdcroft and see what they say. Hopfully they will be able to help. And no, I won't mention the jet wash :wink:

paint is 3yrs for "paint"!

corrosion is for rust and its usually "from within" ie rusty sill rusting from the inside where the protection hasnt been put..

I did think that but I guess it's worth the ask as it's only a 5 minute drive for the local Renault garage (wishful thinking more than anything)

Other than that I guess it's off to the local bodywork place tomorrow/Monday to spend all of my hard earned money :worried:.

If the laquer was lifting I guess this was bound to happen eventually.

Ok so i took to Renault today (the bodywork place in Hanley) and they have taken pictures and are sending to Renault to see if this is covered under warranty. The guy said that as the lacquer lifting is a result of a stone chip then its likely that it wont be covered :worried:.

And in that event it is looking like its gonna cost me £275 buff to get the remainder of the stone chips repaired and the whole bumper resprayed. Not what i need when I'm forking out 560 for a cambelt! Oh well its gotta be done, and at least it will all be nice and shiny for FCS :smile:

Had this on the skirts on my last car, was caused by stone chips too. I used a fine sand paper to 'blend' the edges and then some polish (Menzerna ultra fina I think it was) to get a bit of shine on the paint. A quick wipe with some IPA to remove the polishing waxes and then numerious coats of G/techniq C1. Brought it up a treat, you could only see it in certain lights.

I was considering giving it a bit of a DIY local repair but I actually like this car and I tried my hand at painting/blending etc on one of my previous cars and made a massive hash of it.

Is 250 buff (ex VAT) sound around the right price? I have had it quoted by 3 places, and another that wanted 490! This is just to have the bonnet stripped back, resprayed, lacquered and then blended.

I had no idea this much trouble could come from a simple stone chip!

I was considering giving it a bit of a DIY local repair but I actually like this car and I tried my hand at painting/blending etc on one of my previous cars and made a massive hash of it.

Is 250 buff (ex VAT) sound around the right price? I have had it quoted by 3 places, and another that wanted 490! This is just to have the bonnet stripped back, resprayed, lacquered and then blended.

I had no idea this much trouble could come from a simple stone chip!

how about buying a carbon bonnet? :smiley:

Most places charge around £250-300 per panel. I'd be wanting the whole car machine polished properly (this will cost several hundered on its own from a detailing company) too as the new paint will stick out a mile.

how about buying a carbon bonnet? :smiley:

Haha I did think that, dunno how much that will cost but might have a bit of a gander.

I won't be able to afford several hundred for a machine polish though :001_unsure:. Will it really stick out that much? Surely it would depend on how well it is blended with the rest of the car?

I'll tell you what though, I'll be keeping a touch up pen handy for any further stone chips! Can't afford another panel peeling at right now.

Did you buy the car from new?

No I didn't, bought it around April last year. 1 Lady owner previously. Still glad I did, although my wallet is becoming considerably lighter.

Will the Warranty etc. not apply to me as I am the second owner?