Heel & toe gear changing

I will rev-match on the road just as I think it is slightly more mechanically-sympathetic. But never got to grips with H&T or left foot breaking. Looking at the video I seem to have my foot to low down the pedals to H&T like that. Will give it a go next time I am out :wink:

Does look that way. I only H&T on the road occasionally with just rev matching most of the time.

I found that the throttle sometimes need a bigger dab just to get the revs up as though it falls asleep if I'm coasting.

Left foot brake is also second nature in this car. Trying to perfect both feet overlapping whilst approaching a corner. Nearly there but need more tracktime.

I've been working on that, overlapping brake and throttle. It's remarkable how much it smooths the transition from acceleration to deceleration preserving balance.

Also, been focussing more on the throttle response...it does seem sharper (although still significantly delayed) at higher revs.

If i'm just pooling about and rev matching at low revs as I do most of the time...it's very very lethargic.

I tried this today but was finding that my foot was just too skinny to bridge the gap between brake and accelerator.

Are you doing it like the first part of the vid or using your heel? I find it much more difficult using the side of my foot even though that was how I started off.

Overlapping throttle does bring a significant benefit but can also ruin the whole corner if it doesn't come together perfectly.

What's the technique with overlapping the throttle and brake? Is this just left foot braking or is there more to it?

What's the technique with overlapping the throttle and brake? Is this just left foot braking or is there more to it?

I think it's just a way of controlling the balance of the car, tapping the brakes mid corner pushes the weight forward theoretically turning the car in better.

Imagine coming up to a sharp corner where you have to downshift from high speeds. You will H&T as normal, then after all your gearchanges are done your right foot would normally lift off the brakes and onto the throttle and left foot trasnfer onto the brakes. When overlapping both your feet would be on the brake pedal at the same time and thus you are never off the brakes.

Tried this again tonight though I must say with a fudged gearbox lol.

The biggest problem I'm finding is either I'm not blipping the throttle hard enough or inconsistent braking when trying to move my foot to blip.

Sometimes find also letting the clutch out too soon and the car "jumping" when I do it. Least the gearbox is getting replaced next week so if I ruin this one I'll be ok lol.

It takes practice, you might need to change how you position your foot so you can modulate the throttle and maintain a constant braking force.
I find I use it more and more just because it makes the hole downshift process smoother.

I think you should separate the two to start with. Get your rev matching perfect first then combine with braking.

Imagine coming up to a sharp corner where you have to downshift from high speeds. You will H&T as normal, then after all your gearchanges are done your right foot would normally lift off the brakes and onto the throttle and left foot trasnfer onto the brakes. When overlapping both your feet would be on the brake pedal at the same time and thus you are never off the brakes.

Ok, thanks. TBH, I've never left foot braked in that manner - only ever used it in corners where no downshifting was required. Will have a think about where that technique might be useful though.

Cheers

I've never done that either...nor have I ever seen that done.

I only overlap on corners where no downshift is required...at Goodwood there's three so planning on developing this further aspect this year.

Noddie - what you're experiencing is pretty standard tbh...brake modulation and timing and level of the throttle blip...as ado says try just to focus on rev matching without braking to get a feel for how the car responds.

Once you've got that move on to doing it while on the brakes, and try to force yourself to do it with gentle pressure on the brake to start with.

The throttle response on the 197/200 makes it more difficult as you can't just jab ai it quickly. A 182 is far better to heel toe

I've never done that either...nor have I ever seen that done.

Not many do it but I know somone who instruct in an elise do it. They also have a vid of it a Llandow.

The advantages of it in a FWD car is likely to be very small as the weight of the engine is already there but anything thats light (caterham) or RR/MR would benefit from the extra weight transfer.

Tried this again tonight though I must say with a fudged gearbox lol.

The biggest problem I'm finding is either I'm not blipping the throttle hard enough or inconsistent braking when trying to move my foot to blip.

Sometimes find also letting the clutch out too soon and the car "jumping" when I do it. Least the gearbox is getting replaced next week so if I ruin this one I'll be ok lol.

Sounds like your foot is too far over the brake pedal.

If you position your foot so it's pretty much just the ball and your big toe on the rigt-most third of the brake pedal then you should be able to roll your ankle and get a decent amount of pressure onto the peddle with your three smallest toes and the bit of foot underneath them.

Sounds like your foot is too far over the brake pedal.

If you position your foot so it's pretty much just the ball and your big toe on the rigt-most third of the brake pedal then you should be able to roll your ankle and get a decent amount of pressure onto the peddle with your three smallest toes and the bit of foot underneath them.

+1

you dont have to be going fast or braking hard you can practic at any speed dont move your foor over to the loud pedle just roll the whole foot to the right so the right side of your right foot hits the pedal and off nice and slow to start with

so i gues its not heal and toe more one side and the other of one foot lol you can heal and toe but i find it easier to do it the rolling the foot way.

Me too...that's how I started and do it most of the time.

In the latter part of my video where I was twisting my ankle, I find that works far better on track, as you can still do it even if the middle pedal's gone long.

Ive been trying to teach myself heel and toe, but dont feel comfortable when driving quickly yet as when travelling at a fair speed I feel more comfortable using the method i have for years (stanard change, no blip).
Personally, i think on a road car the main advantage is smoothness with any mechanical benefits being a plus side. I know having driven on track a few times (not in the 200) that the smoother your down changes are, the less weight transfer you'll experience and therefore you and the car will be presented with a much more stable platform to start the next stage of the corner....turning. The last thing you want as you turn in is for the cars weight to be tranfering back and fourth. Having said that, on public roads im 99% sure i could drive just as fast with standard method..........i think :smile: