Heel & toe gear changing

As requested I pulled this together today.

Not my best performance...I'm still learning the 200, the pedals feel so different to my 172 Cup, and the throttle response is really soft (I know, excuses excuses LOL).

Enjoyed making this, was blasting up and down the Goodwood hill all afternoon :thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]lw2IR7JMMFU[/YOUTUBE]

Nicely made video Mark!!! Same technique as me, just a little roll rather than the whole sideways foot approach. :smile:

Never bothered learning this technique, only gain is a slightly smoother gearchange and and some nice exhaust pops. I'd rather concentrate on the road than fancy foot work :tongueout:

I feel really sad asking this but what shoes are those?

The throttle responds really well to a sharp jab with the side of the foot like you do there, same as I've found works. I think it must be different depending on the seating position of a car and possibly how big your feet are :tongueout:

Ben, agreed there's not much advantage to it with modern synchro' boxes. I just learnt it out of interest but it soon becomes second nature!!! :smiley:

Grumpy, they're Piloti. Worth a look if you're after comfortable and reasonably priced driving shoes.

May have to invest in a set. I have some bright red oakley driving trainers atm, the misses fashion sense does not approve lol!

Hahaha!!! Yeah I know that feeling, I had some Puma/Sparco ones a few years back that were bright red.

I now have some OMP black/silver ''orthopedic slippers''. Slightly cooler. :smiley:

Never bothered learning this technique, only gain is a slightly smoother gearchange and and some nice exhaust pops. I'd rather concentrate on the road than fancy foot work :tongueout:

Ben, agreed there's not much advantage to it with modern synchro' boxes. I just learnt it out of interest but it soon becomes second nature!!! :smiley:

Grumpy, they're Piloti. Worth a look if you're after comfortable and reasonably priced driving shoes.

You're so missing the point of what this is about.

It is nothing to do with synchro boxes or making the life of the gearbox easier, that's double-declutch changing (with a blip, clutch up, in neutral in between gears).

This is simply all about rev-matching.

Why rev match?

Less wear on the clutch.
Less wear on the drivetrain.
Eliminates uncontrolled and unintended weight transfer which alters the balance of the car.

Next time you're out doing 50mph and want 2nd gear, in a hurry, try it without rev matching.

Then try it with.

That's an extreme example, but which is better for you and the car?

Linky poos for the shoes please, they good handy for track days!?

As above, they're Piloti Ingels...technically a go-karting race boot but very comfortable day to day, a bit more substantial than full on race boots, but with a good heel and good feel.

Got a card from some chap exhibiting at the TG Live show in 2010 then did it all over the phone. Can't remember his name but google Piloti UK and you'll find him.

Last edited:
On a road car that is driven in anger for perhaps 5% of its life i doubt heel and toeing will be of significant advantage to service life of components.

Although i know alot of you hooligans only drive the 197 in such a way :tongueout:

It does become second nature, looks odd to passengers who aren't used to seeing it. :smiley:

I'd have to admit the only reasons I do it, only on track really as I down change a lot slower on the road but still blip the throttle, is because it makes the whole process inherently smoother. Which seems to lead to being faster, it certainly feels less abusive to the car.

good video . i have to admit i roll it as per the first bit of the video works well on track .

Never really seen the point in any such techniques unless your racing competitively to give you the edge over others oh and it looks cool 2, although I did try left footed braking with awful results lol

i do it religiously now just as im used to it, its now just became the way i drive.

i find the 200 a bit more like the ph1 172 you really need to give it a sharp jab to blip it, where the 172/182 in ph2 form was much easier, it done most of the work for you!

my GT DCi had the same pedal setup as the 200 and it was a doddle to do, the 200 is taking a bit of practice!