Headunit advice

Cool, thanks.

The equaliser is normally set to high bass, but even if I turn if I level the treble and bass to 0 it still starts to get really fuzzy at around vol 20.

If "loud" is turned off I can get it to around 23/4 before the same fuzzyness come back

I know exactly what you mean, as we had the same problem when turning it any volume past 18, as im the one who likes to hear my songs, especially any that has high bass (Dubstep)

We got the Alpine HU, much more solid than our Pioneer Stereo.

Upgrading the HU alone will give a massive difference, but if you want the whole speaker system replaced as well you are talking mega money, even though I went for that in the end. Would be something to save up for if your keeping your current car for a long time

you won't need an aerial adaptor then. Just the fascia adaptor and steering control adaptor.

That depends on which stereo you put in though, I need an aerial adapter with my pioneer in my 197. I seem to remember my alpine was different though and wouldn't have needed an adpater with the 197.

Turning loudness down on the HU has the same effect as turning the bass and treble down which will cause less distortion.

Ben - I was talking about the fakra adaptor. I think you mean that some headunits need the female to male kind of adaptor?

Yeah im into Dubstep/DnB and rock etc so like to hear my bass.

My passat had a fakra arial, so i know what your onabout.
Seems to be a "normal" arial in the standard h/u irrc (ive had a few sleeps since I looked lol) I have got 2x12"JBL subs that Im tempted to put in, but they weigh a tonne and will fill the boot... I made a cover in the passat so you wouldnt know they was there, but it was a wagon.

5543988149_996c0e1c51_b.jpg
(cover down lol)

What size speakers are standard?

I went for a Kenwood BT60u over any of the Alpine/Sony etc. ones as it combined everything I wanted and it's all self contained within the HU (no seperate boxes for BT/Phone).

I suggest you make a definitive list of feature you must have and look at each head unit (ignoring brand) for which one is best for you.

And yes you can still use the steering wheel controls but most likely lose the middle display on the centre console (no big loss).

Mines up in the for sale section with all the connectors if you fancy one of these brightside.

Similar Thread Suggestions