Headunit advice

Looking into replacing my headunit for an MP3 type one, but discovered you can buy a lead that plugs into the back so you can plug one in?

But ive noticed that if you turn it up to around 20ish, it really distorts the sound quality, so im wondering is the actually headunit itself or is it the speakers?

If i did change the h/u i still want to be able to use the steering wheel controls is the only other issue. Im also only looking to spend less than £250

Any advice out there guys?

Thanks
Rob :smile:

Because of the crap quality of the standard headunit youll find that turning the volume up to 20 and hearing the speakers distort will be a combination of yes A) rubbish door speakers but also B) Rubbish signal from the headunit.

In that price range the alpine headunits probably are your best bet, that said, pioneer also make some good units. Youll need a steering wheel control adaptor and patch lead in order to make it all work for you.

Ive used JVC the past couple of years, I have a double DIN one that has bluetooth, DAB, MP3 etc etc, but its useless to me now. I know it sounds silly, but I liked the way I had an exact match on the colour of the lights, and would like it again.

My friend has a fiesta with a JBL sub and a "ripspeed" dvd/mp3 player headunit, and the sound quality is cracking considering.

I'm not a SQ freak or anything like that, I'm just really into my music, and need to be able to play it at a decent volume lol

Any model recomendations or inks for the Alpine ones?

Cheers guys :smile:

I went for a Kenwood BT60u over any of the Alpine/Sony etc. ones as it combined everything I wanted and it's all self contained within the HU (no seperate boxes for BT/Phone).

I suggest you make a definitive list of feature you must have and look at each head unit (ignoring brand) for which one is best for you.

And yes you can still use the steering wheel controls but most likely lose the middle display on the centre console (no big loss).

I have a Alpine CDE-125BT which has bluetooth/parrot connectivity and i got a ipod lead thrown in all for 200 quid, hope this helps?!

don't forget you have to factor in the cost for the cable to connect the steering wheel controls etc. which will be about £50 for a connects 2 box.

You might need an aerial adapter too which should be £2 maybe but can be tricky to get the right one.

Do you have to have cd or just iPod? Alpine & pioneer are the ones to go for IMO. Even keeping the normal speakers, by changing the head unit you will notice a massive difference. A £250 budget should just see you right considering you'll need the steering adaptor too.

Do you have a 197 or 200?

Antony

Upgrading the headunit makes a massive difference, well worth doing. However doing this won't really give you any extra volume as that's ultimately limited by how much the speaker cone moves.

Steering wheel adapter is ~£50 and you may not get the song name/radio station on the display anymore.

I'd also suggest alpine or pioneer, won't go wrong with either

certainly worth the upgrade, the aerial adapter can be a pain, i had to send back the "Renault" fit one as it was totally different. In the end set about the second one i recieved with a grinder to make it fit. Dont forget to get the facia adapter plate to for a nice snug fit. Ebay should se you well.

ordered my alpine from caraudidirect.com, they were pretty good pricewise.

also keep your eye out on here. I got a nice alpine HU and all the adapters off here for 100 posted. Bit of a bargain considering the price for the adaptors alone.

Looking into replacing my headunit for an MP3 type one, but discovered you can buy a lead that plugs into the back so you can plug one in?

But ive noticed that if you turn it up to around 20ish, it really distorts the sound quality, so im wondering is the actually headunit itself or is it the speakers?

Just out of interest have you got an eq set on your mp3 player / iPod? If you have turn it off and try without an eq on

Its a 197 :smile:
Cheers, I'll have to have a scout about

Just out of interest have you got an eq set on your mp3 player / iPod? If you have turn it off and try without an eq on

I dont have an mp3 player plugged in, its just on a CD or radio it distorts. I dont have the lead to plug one in lol

Ah I see. What total number will it go up to volume wise on the head unit and what is your bass / treble levels set at?

Similar Thread Suggestions