Head stud kit/head gasket?

the basic arcitecture of the fr4 is the same so cant see the studs being different or the gasket

I suppose the only way to check for sure is to see if Renaults part numbers for the items are the same across the model range?

I suppose the only way to check for sure is to see if Renaults part numbers for the items are the same across the model range?

had a look at k-tec site to see if they have bolt/stud kits for the "fr4" engine in 172/182/197 ?

They do the stud kit, quoted to fit Renault F4R engine, but only do the std head gasket kit.

unless your going for forced induction surely the standard gasket will be up to it as i dont think they have a reputation for failure

the head bolts are the same , but am 99% sure head gasket is different can check tomorrow. do you have a big mantelpiece ? and do they have to be new ones as if not i have a few i could i could donate to your collection.:thumbup1:

Its just this evening failed a block test im afraid, and its very slowly drinking coolant :worried:

Besides whilst its off i wouldnt mind getting it down to APD for a little headwork :wink:

As said over on CS, standard gasket is bomb proof, I'd just go for studs.

I'm actually a bit worried that there's a crack somewhere that's not opening up until the engine is fully warm, so i'd be hotbath pressure testing the head

Call me about headwork if you want

Its just this evening failed a block test im afraid, and its very slowly drinking coolant :worried:

Besides whilst its off i wouldnt mind getting it down to APD for a little headwork :wink:

you had the system pressure tested then?

No compression test passed on all cylinders and block test passed without the use of nitrous but after a nitrous activation there are combustion gases present in the coolant. Apparently the head can be forced apart from the block under heavy nos usage causing a leak which wouldn't usually happen.

I'll get the head pressure tested wherever it goes. Danny is this a service you can provide along with some stage one porting? I've heard it's a difficult head to get gains out of but APD know their stuff?

No compression test passed on all cylinders and block test passed without the use of nitrous but after a nitrous activation there are combustion gases present in the coolant. Apparently the head can be forced apart from the block under heavy nos usage causing a leak which wouldn't usually happen.

ah i see - i was going to say have you done that - sounds like a slippery slope downwards as it will only deteriorate and leak more or even blow under repeated use :thumbdown:

I agree. To make matters worse apparently exhaust gases turn coolant acidic and cause the entire block from inside out :worried:

The cars off the road as of diagnosis last weekend and it's next and only trip will be to the garage that repairs it!

I agree. To make matters worse apparently exhaust gases turn coolant acidic and cause the entire block from inside out :worried:

The cars off the road as of diagnosis last weekend and it's next and only trip will be to the garage that repairs it!

it will probably be a weak point thats started in the garket

taking it off the road will have saved you a few £££ - you just dont want them to fail when driving :bat:

I'll get the head pressure tested wherever it goes. Danny is this a service you can provide along with some stage one porting? I've heard it's a difficult head to get gains out of but APD know their stuff?

yes indeed. You're right it's a very good head to start with, but there's gains to be had, especially on the exhaust ports.

I've currently got 2 APD builds in being re done. Make of that what you will

yes indeed. You're right it's a very good head to start with, but there's gains to be had, especially on the exhaust ports.

I've currently got 2 APD builds in being re done. Make of that what you will

In my experience - biggest gains are on the intake ports, the exhaust ones can't get much bigger - but the intake ports can:

2m68qat.jpg

2yl1k7l.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg