Hazard Lights / Alarm issue

Hi all,

I'm having issues with the hazard lights on my 197 flashing randomly. The only way to turn them off is by opening the car and hiting the hazard switch.

At first I suspected it was actually the alarm going off but with a broken siren, but when I camped recently overnight and the proximity card was too cold to open the car, I used the key, and the siren went off so that still works.

Now, if I deactivate the ultrasonics with the 5xstart button trick, the issue never occurs, so I think it IS alarm related somehow.

I've read about water getting into the alarm, and some have suggested disconnecting it. I checked the drain holes under the scuttle plate and it's all dry under there, but where exactly is the alarm located in the 197? I couldn't see it under the bonnet or under the scuttle plate. Is it in one of the arches?

I've also seen something about the live feed interfering with ultrasonics. Any truth to this one?

Cheers

James

The siren part of the alarm is in the boot, behind the carpet - crazy place if you ask me!

Not sure what the actual issue could be though. Sorry!

Thanks. I'll take a look over the weekend. I've heard all sorts of things about the ultrasonics being too sensitive and being able to swap wires over to improve things etc. I've also picked up a hazard light switch just in case it's that - the current one doesn't feel very positive.

Check your passenger foot well for dampness.The loom runs under the carpet but if water has already been there it may already be corroded.

The alarm is in the rear of the car above the left arch. IF you electrics are buggered, you can disconnect the alarm but your hazards will still flash.

Cheers. No current signs of any damp in the passenger footwell all, but I can't say that it hasn't been wet at some point in the past.

Found the alarm. The current issue only seems to affect the hazards, the siren doesn't sound. Need to leave it at the airport tomorrow for a couple of days. Hoping I don't come back to a flat battery...

The 5xstart button dance is random as well. Sometimes I get 3 beeps when locking, sometimes 4, occasionally none.... rather odd.

Seems to be getting worse, the 5xstart button trick now only works intermittently, and it now has a habit of turning the hazards on when I open the door.... and they then won't turn off until I start the engine and press the hazard button a number of times.

The switch for the main beam is also knackered :smile:

I'm going to see about having it looked at under the warranty as it's more than just a nigggle now.

Anyone used Ren-O-Tec in chelmsford? I've heard great things about Mark Fish up in Harlow (and I'll probably take it there for any servicing/mechanical work) but I doubt this will be his sort gf thing?

Cheers

Just had this issue on my 200t. Wife opened the boot, hazards started going off and it wouldn't lock. Had to press hazard button then switch ignition on and off. Still wouldn't lock with keyless. Had to press the button on the key. Not a biggy I know, but I was wondering what is going on.