Greg's Albi Blue Clio 200

Where are you based? Dan could take the gearbox out on Monday, give it to you while he does the other stuff and then refit it? I wouldn't know how you'd work that out with him :tongueout:
I'm up in Lichfield mate, so that wouldn't be possible unfortunately. It would have to be couriered about

Well, Dan has got the car now. Gearbox, manifold, cambelt and knocking noise. Should pick it up Wednesday/Thursday.

Going to feel completely different after that lot for site !

As will your wallet. Ouch that's going to hurt a little....

About 1.5k. Then in a few months, a remap. Should be as sweet as a nut.

We've all been there. Doesn't make it easier or more fun though. But at least car will be spot-on and driving like a champ as you say ;-)

And better on a pleasure than a similar amount I did on cooker, washing machine and dishwasher last month.

Roll on the weekend. Bet you can't wait....

Reactions: Greg0986
I am certainly looking forward to it. As I'm spending so much, I'll have to wait for the remap but that should improve it no end.

Dan's just told me that the lower dampener pulley was shot. Good job it went in!!!

I wonder if I'll notice any difference, as I'm not sure it was timed properly before.

Reactions: Big Ben
I am certainly looking forward to it. As I'm spending so much, I'll have to wait for the remap but that should improve it no end.

Dan's just told me that the lower dampener pulley was shot. Good job it went in!!!

I wonder if I'll notice any difference, as I'm not sure it was timed properly before.
Would be a bonus if it ran sweeter.
Sure will after it's been mapped!!

Double-bonus !

You're 'up' on what you might have expected already :smile:

I'd be amazed after this and a Remap you aren't 100% and completely in love with it again.

Hope it all goes well buddy.

The magic man he is has already done the cambelt! The garage I got it from, like I guessed, had just done the belt. There was a pattern part water pump used, and a pattern part belt kit. The incorrect coolant was used and the original fixings were used, not new.

The timing was also out on the intake, and was even worse on the exhaust.

I've never driven another Clio 197/200 so I didn't know what the power felt like. So I could have been driving on 160hp (maybe even less)?

The magic man he is has already done the cambelt! The garage I got it from, like I guessed, had just done the belt. There was a pattern part water pump used, and a pattern part belt kit. The incorrect coolant was used and the original fixings were used, not new.

The timing was also out on the intake, and was even worse on the exhaust.

I've never driven another Clio 197/200 so I didn't know what the power felt like. So I could have been driving on 160hp (maybe even less)?

WOW !

Things can only get better. Maybe this is all an omen Greg :smile:

I do hope so. I hadn't driven it in 2 days prior, and it felt special as soon as I got in and pulled away.

In it for the long run now...

Reactions: Big Ben
So, Dan the man has sorted the gearbox. 3rd syncro was shagged as expected, and the 4th wasn't much better so he replaced both. I asked him to look at 2nd as when I give it a blast and change in to 2nd, it grinds if I am not careful, however he found nothing wrong. Hopefully the new clutch should fix it.

And, the knocking noise was indeed the passenger side inner tie rod. He'll swap that out and align it all and I should be able to pick it up Friday if all goes back together properly.

Most of the damage and problems I've had were caused by that one sodding pothole last year...

Reactions: tombate911
Well, total comes to just under £1.8k. Looks like there will be no spending on the car for a good few months now apart from the odd maintenance item. You'll all have to deal with scruffy kerbed alloys at CSF :tongueout:

Big issues done and dusted Greg. With belts, manifold and gearbox - thats should be 'it' ref the well-known major issues.

Collected / driven it yet.......if not when do you get it back ?

Toast and beans for 3 months will be oh-so-worth-it every time you get to drive it now. Gonna feel amazing !

Big issues done and dusted Greg. With belts, manifold and gearbox - thats should be 'it' ref the well-known major issues.

Collected / driven it yet.......if not when do you get it back ?

Toast and beans for 3 months will be oh-so-worth-it every time you get to drive it now. Gonna feel amazing !

Not till Friday. He has to put everything back together now. Exactly, I think I have covered everything...

More like bread and water!

Reactions: sevenfourate
Oh boy Dan's done a mighty fine job! Sounds immense now and pulls like a train. No more knocking noise either.

The flatspot seems to have gone? It doesn't seem as bad as it was before but could definitely benefit from a remap.

Fallen in love again :smile:

Oh boy Dan's done a mighty fine job! Sounds immense now and pulls like a train. No more knocking noise either.

The flatspot seems to have gone? It doesn't seem as bad as it was before but could definitely benefit from a remap.

Fallen in love again :smile:
Great to hear that Greg. Onwards and upwards

Reactions: Greg0986