Greg's Albi Blue Clio 200

I've had this noise, or something similar. I'd suggest jacking up the car, and checking for any balljoint (lower control arm) movement on that side. This was my problem, although I still have some noise on that side [emoji53]

Thanks. I checked the ball joint and everything is tight. It's been into the garage and has been diagnosed as a worn inner tie rod, so not too bad really :tongueout:

Great read during my lunch at work! Got quite a few ideas (and tips!) for mine. Need to start doing a few little bits while the days are still long. Bigger jobs will need to wait until next year as the misses wants a new kitchen :worried:

Thanks :smile: I try to note down everything I find that I couldn't find online easily. I want anyone that has one of these cars to be able to fix it easily. Heck, half the stuff I have done on my car I wouldn't have been able to do without the guide section.

In other news, booking the car into Diamond Motors soon for the cambelt service (overdue but was told it was done before I bought it...), manifold fitted and new inner tie rod. Then it'll be time for a remap :smiley:

If I had the tool for the inner tie rod, I'd do it myself. I also need to fit a centre exhaust clamp, which I might try myself this weekend...

Last edited:
Oh god, now I need to decide! Had the car originally planned to go to Mick at Diamond Motors which is a 2 and a half hour drive but after a week of waiting I've heard back from Dan at SJM Automotive (who is arguably the best Renault Tech in the SouthWest) in Glastonbury (20 minute drive!). Who do I go for? Both are roughly the same price, but one is massively further away... Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Haven't used either but if the closest is the 'best' in your area then it seems like a no-brainer.

Well, I found out what the squealing was from the brakes...

The metal on the face of the pistons in the brembo's had corroded slightly, causing small pieces to stick out towards the brake pads, so when I braked and the pads vibrated against the pistons, it squealed like a banshee. I used some pliers and removed any stray pieces, and then coated the inside of the caliper in a light coating of Ceratec. No more squeal :smile:

I also used the Eezibleed kit to bleed the brakes. What an awesome tool. So easy to use and now the brake fluid is a light brown colour compared to black and the pedal is a lot firmer and more responsive.

A very productive day yesterday, despite the fact I didn't get to wash it :shocked:

Ha, never mind. It still squeals. It went so well for half a day. Only option now are new pads...

Good news is it is booked in with Dan on the 7th August for a cambelt kit, fitting of the manifold, a remap and to find the source of the knock.

Starting to fall out of love now with these issues...

Well, the squeaking has been officially fixed! It was the brake pads. They must have been contaminated, even though I sanded them back a few times. A quick trip to ECP and its braking harder and quieter than before :smiley:

Waxstock on Sunday, so I gave it a quick going over with Fusso and then a shower of Fireball Hydrophobic Snow Foam. That **** is the bomb.

Reactions: DS197
Well, the squeaking has been officially fixed! It was the brake pads. They must have been contaminated, even though I sanded them back a few times. A quick trip to ECP and its braking harder and quieter than before :smiley:

Waxstock on Sunday, so I gave it a quick going over with Fusso and then a shower of Fireball Hydrophobic Snow Foam. That **** is the bomb.
Good to hear the squeaking has been fixed :smile: Were they OEM Brembo pads by any chance?

Yep, good guess. The new ones are also OEM Brembo too, so I'll wait and listen.
I've also got Brembo pads and have done everything to stop them squealing but nothing has worked. Hopefully replacing them does the trick once and for all. Let us know how you get on.

So, Waxstock.

Had a budget of £100 and most of it was spent at Saverschoice. Inram is a top bloke, very knowledgeable and couldn't help more. I came back with..

Soft99 Kiwami Light
KKD Tyresol
KKD MistX - This is the best quick detailer I have ever used. Sooo much gloss
Bilt Hamber Autowash
Gyeon Rim
Angelwax H2GO
In2Detailing Blue Microfibre Towels x5
In2Detailing Glass Cloths x2
2 Foam Sprayers

I was actually surprised at the 'quality' of the cars there. Most had swirls/scratches/holograms and on some you could see hazing from where the product they quickly used wasn't buffed off properly!

Reactions: sevenfourate
So, Waxstock.

Had a budget of £100 and most of it was spent at Saverschoice. Inram is a top bloke, very knowledgeable and couldn't help more. I came back with..

Soft99 Kiwami Light
KKD Tyresol
KKD MistX - This is the best quick detailer I have ever used. Sooo much gloss
Bilt Hamber Autowash
Gyeon Rim
Angelwax H2GO
In2Detailing Blue Microfibre Towels x5
In2Detailing Glass Cloths x2
2 Foam Sprayers

I was actually surprised at the 'quality' of the cars there. Most had swirls/scratches/holograms and on some you could see hazing from where the product they quickly used wasn't buffed off properly!

Nice haul !

I wouldnt have been hugely interested in Waxstock as such i dont think....perhaps if it was closer to home.

But Inrams stuff sounds great. I'd have liked to have been able to see / feel / talk to him and seen his stuff........

Reactions: Greg0986
Nice haul !

I wouldnt have been hugely interested in Waxstock as such i dont think....perhaps if it was closer to home.

But Inrams stuff sounds great. I'd have liked to have been able to see / feel / talk to him and seen his stuff........

There were a lot of knowledgeable people there. Live demos of machine polishing, stone chip repair, 10% discount on pretty much every stall. I was stuck with what to buy as I didn't want to waste any money.

So, after the 5 hour round trip to Waxstock, it was overdue a clean (flooded motorways etc...)

Quick snow foam with KKD Blizzard, then I used my new Gtechniq wash mitt and Bilt Hamber Autowash for a 2bm clean. Rinsed and then applied half a bottle of Fireball Hydrophobic Snow Foam. Let that dwell for 2-3 minutes then pressure wash off. The beading and sheeting that this provides is awesome, not as good as a dedicated wax/sealant but for over the winter where I just want to get some protection on it, its fantastic. Finally a wipe down with KKD Mist-X. This is my new favourite quick detailer. The gloss it gives is immense. Tyres shined with KKD Tyresol.

DSC_0009 by Gregory Berry, on Flickr

Reactions: Sean197
I’ve got a busy and expensive week coming up! Going to see Dan at SJM on the 7th for the cambelt to be changed, the manifold fitted, remapped to remove the flat spot and a replacement inner tie rod to sort the knocking noise. Then, on the 9th, I will be getting the quarter windows tinted and possibly the door handles wrapped gloss black.

On the 10th I will be polishing the front wings as I skipped those when I DA’d it a few weeks ago, and any spots where I have picked up scratches and swirls. All wheels will be coming off for a deep arch clean (this time sealing the brake calipers and discs in plastic bags to prevent the dreaded squeal coming back!) and the intake manifold will be getting a deep clean too. The engine bay is normally spotless, but the manifold is a ***** to keep clean.

To keep myself busy I've been refurbing my old cup alloys. I think this one has come up quite well! A bit rough around the edges but better than before. Its just to get me to Exeter and back while the speedlines are being refurbished.

IMG_20170725_203101.jpg

Reactions: Sean197
Ohhhhh fuckkkk. I have a slight, and I mean very slight crunch going into 3rd. It's got the boggo standard Renault Elf NFP oil in it.

Would it be worth sticking some Fuchs Sintofluid in or even Redline MTL?

Is Redline worth the extra £20?