Got a problem :/

Hyde200

Gold Member
so late Friday evening I was driving along, P***ing down with rain, puddles everywhere, as a lorry came the other way and sent a wave over my car getting it completely soaked. CHEERS THEN!

5 or so miles down the road I was cruising in 6th going up a slight hill, when all of a sudden my car lost power and start bogging and the revs wouldn't pick up. I thought right ok, what next. Give her a bit of beans and all was ok..

Next morning I went out, driving up the slip road. 3rd/ 4th I started pulling to get to 70mph and it hit somewhere around 3k - 4k rpm where it started bogging again and then revs stuck and wouldn't budge, I let off and put my foot back down and was fine? at this point I was getting annoyed. Ever since its still doing it.

I've check the throttle body, map sensor, coil pack plugs all seem in good order. I took her to my Mechanic where he went for a drive and checked it over briefly. He said it cant be anything to bad because its very intermittent and only did it once in the time he was out. He suggested that i drive around and hopefully it will dry out over a couple of days. It's now been 3 days and its still there. Also, the engine management light is NOT on???? so code reader did not pick up any faults? He also said that i may have got a bit of water in the tank, but i filled it up with vpower yesterday and is still there. I'm totally confuzled!

(when i feel it start bogging if i put my foot flat it pulls through fine, but obviously putting my foot flat isn't the best of ideas when you drive a car doing 24mpg)!

Any help will be appreciated! (this all happens before i got to Wales for the run!) :worried:

Callum

Try another mechanic? Difference of opinion sometimes helps.

Not heard of that problem before :worried:

I'm sure I read about a similar problem in the past, same problem after heavy rain/big paddles. I'll try to find the thread

I'm sure I read about a similar problem in the past, same problem after heavy rain/big paddles. I'll try to find the thread

I have looked everywhere! searched the alphabet but cant find anything, if you do than that would be great!! Cheers mate

Hi Try the MAF/MAP sensor if it gets wet/damp the measuring resistor doesn't read correctly. The resistor is a usually a hot wire resistor and one cold ref resistor. If the hot resistor gets damp then the ECU can't tell how much mass air flow is going to the engine. So the ecu sends any old signal normally a get you home setting this really messes up the air fuel mixture. I had the same on another car and the garage ended up changing the injectors!! idiots !! I'd check this first. plus check your air filter if it's got wet it'll be useless as the std ones are made of paper elements K&N's are made from oiled cloth so are normally ok. Oh and I get it fixed sooner rather than later if the mixture is incorrect it can screw your cat big time!

Cheers,

Dave