Going to see a 197 tomorrow. Tomorrow could be the day I become an owner

Shame you didn't fancy it after a long journey. Cold cars are notoriously difficult and irritating but once warmed these cars love to be driven. Short commutes might not suit but weekends would be fun!

Last edited:
That car is an absolute beauty and well worth the money in my opinion (although I'd definitely be changing the colour of the wheels!). Just because most 197s are now really cheap it doesn't mean all of them should be. It's practically a new car and the price is 100% fair in my opinion.

When pretty much all others available are hitting 100k this is still going to be really low miles.

If I was buying one, I'd be going for something like that. Unless of course you just want to run it for a bit and then get rid.

However, if your intention is to do lots of short journeys, I'd just go ahead and buy a shitter for a few hundred quid and save the Clio for what it's intended for.

And yes the kangaroo behaviour is absolutely normal and can be mostly mapped out if it bothers you that much, but in reality, it's much better to let the car warm up properly before you ask much of it anyway.

Reactions: suj and Chris
Wouldn't let the kangarooing put you off, but tbh it's pretty common that people will let them warm up for a few minutes before driving them.

Reactions: shells2074
As you say, it is a lot of money to part with if you aren't 100% sure about getting one. Perhaps worth sleeping on it and seeing how you feel. If you do decide you'd like one, then at least you know that is a very good one. I would recommend going to see the 200 as well - that way you have something to compare the 197 with, give it all a bit of perspective.

As above, the cold start shouldn't be a deal-breaker, as they are all like that. However if that's one of the factors that puts you off personally, then you can't ignore it - you have to take everything into account.

I've only had kangarooing like three times in 11 months of ownership, and it's always when I take a left hander going uphill from coming downhill to the 90 degree junction (if that makes any sense at all?)

Reactions: ///M
It wasnt so much the kangarooing. I could have got used to that. Its just the car felt so flat unless it was screaming which I understand these cars are all about but for where I have to drive 99% of the time I am not going to be able to drive the car like that and running that car say under 5k of revs would end up frustrating me

It wasnt so much the kangarooing. I could have got used to that. Its just the car felt so flat unless it was screaming which I understand these cars are all about but for where I have to drive 99% of the time I am not going to be able to drive the car like that and running that car say under 5k of revs would end up frustrating me

Maybe a NA high revving engine isn't for you then mate. Low range grunt is no where near the 197/200's skill set! You need to let them sing!

Reactions: Pav
I'm kind of glad I moved from a 1.1 Pug 206 to my Clio. Although I've had turbo cars and diesels in the past, ignorance clearly is bliss! I'm more than happy with what my right foot gives me.

I've only had kangarooing like three times in 11 months of ownership, and it's always when I take a left hander going uphill from coming downhill to the 90 degree junction (if that makes any sense at all?)

At least it doesnt matter which way the wind is blowing !

Seriously. THAT is just random............

At least it doesnt matter which way the wind is blowing !

Seriously. THAT is just random............

That's from cold by the way and within a minute and a half of leaving my driveway after letting the revs settle down.
It's like the car is saying 'look, I'm cold and the oil is sloshing around in the sump, just drive me on a level surface for a bit'

That's from cold by the way and within a minute and a half of leaving my driveway after letting the revs settle down.
It's like the car is saying 'look, I'm cold and the oil is sloshing around in the sump, just drive me on a level surface for a bit'

I think it should be embraced. Anything that forces you to do things correctly can't be bad really. :smile:

Have you been out in a 197/200 in the passenger seat? I've always found it a good idea in a car I'm looking to buy, owner will be more confident at showing you how to drive it properly etc, I've always been a bit too polite to put my foot down in someone else's car so find the passenger lap does a better job at selling the car.

NA and turbo are two very different worlds for sure, having had both I much prefer NA but only you can decide if you like it.

Sounds like you should be shopping for a megane :smile: but yes, the cold start is a bit of an issue, personnally I do love the way it wakes up and gets up to temperature, tend to wait a minute or two before driving away so it gets a bit warm, still can feel it being cold for the first 2-3 miles though, it did blow my airfilter cover once and got me to panic I have blown the engine in some respect, but happily when I popped the hood I found the cover off. I know these cars can be tiring used as a daily for the commute especially, I was all fed up with my previous 197 and was happy to sell, then missed it enough to get another one 10 months after :smile: