Gearbox / synchro / clutch / slave

Hi guys n gals, hoping someone can help diagnose an issue for me...

Clio 197 cup

It's getting harder to put it in first when starting from cold, and when I'm changing gear under about 4k revs it's really smooth but over that it's hard to get in gear sometimes... Bit of a ball ache if I fly off from the lights but then struggle to select second lol. Which is the most likely culprit? The clutch, slave cylinder, or synchromesh, or just the gearbox or what? If the synchro had gone would it be difficult to shift at any revs?

Thanks for any replies in advance :smile:

A synchro problem will show at higher revs, util it gets really bad and then everywhere. A synchro has to brake against the interita of the gearset so naturally higher revs cause synchros issues. Usually a crunch though as Chris said, might develop that way though for you but it'll unlikley be every gear and instead start on a single gear first.

Difficulty selecting a gear in my experiance (esp first when cold etc) is clutch/slave related, I expect you'll have no issue selecting gears fine with the engine off.

Oil can improve a shift but don't expect it to be the miracle cure. Might find it'll help with gears once on the move and help with the cold selection - but the stubbon first will probably remain until the clutch/slave is done.

Yeah I've got oil ordered, that's the first thing I thought I'd try as it's not expensive. It's not crunching exactly, it's almost like the clutch isn't fully engaged which leads me to believe that's the culprit.