Front calliper painting.

I have everything I need to make a good job of my front callipers but not sure how easy the pins etc will come out. Would I be better buying new pins before starting incase they need drilled out or should i give it a try anyway?

Thanks mate. Also my mechanic tells me the bleed nipples are bad for seizing in the callipers and either shearing off or stripping the threads inside the calliper? Any advice on how to avoid this ?

I have everything I need to make a good job of my front callipers but not sure how easy the pins etc will come out. Would I be better buying new pins before starting incase they need drilled out or should i give it a try anyway?

Hi mate i would 100% have new pins ordered because most of the time these pins are bent/damagef removing them. I lainted my calipers last year bud with halfords paint front/rear and actually came up well.

Hi mate i would 100% have new pins ordered because most of the time these pins are bent/damagef removing them. I lainted my calipers last year bud with halfords paint front/rear and actually came up well.

Ok I will order them up this weekend mate cheers. I got paint from Amazon had good reviews so hopefully be ok. How did you go about it? Remove them completely from car and how did you clean them etc? I want to make as good a job as possible even if it takes a full day then left overnight to dry

u can either take them off completely or leave on them on ur car...depends on how precise u wanna be..i left them on and masked everything around it..that was after i cleaned them with a wire brush and a caliper spray cleaner..it can be done no problem...some say to prime it before painting-well i didnt and can complain so far...
the most important bit for me was to lacquer them after..its a tricky business..the paint must be dry and the ambient temperature must be in 15-28 degrees Celsius range ...
had no trouble with the nipples tbh...
good luck

Last edited:
Thanks mate I'm going to try and tackle it shortly, preferably get them off the car and lacquer them inside as my garage will be lower than the 15 degrees recommended

Well turned out really good, hycote red calliper paint and hycote brake cleaner off amazon for £11 delivered, a load of wire brushing and cleaning and here we are ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420988845.568201.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420988860.764571.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420988873.866227.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420988882.082167.jpg I think I was fairly lucky, bleed nipples, pins, carrier bolts were all good possibly they have been off in the last year or so but anyway I'm surprised at how good a finish I have achieved.

Yeah thanks mate they have came up well, it's true what they say it's all in the preparation and no I didn't lacquer them. 2 coats of primer and 3 or 4 coats of paint.

I'm not sure how chip resistant it is as I only fitted them a couple of hours ago, I hope it is pretty tough as it's made for brake callipers, hopefully anyway.

Soz mate just seen this so to late to reply and give advice! Your calipers turned out great top job. :wink: