Front brake judder?

My 197 has developed a judder in the past few months, which has now been picked up when it had it's belts replaced today.

When braking the judder can be felt both through the steering wheel and brake pedal, both when warm and cold.

The pads have plenty of life in them, as do the front discs (the rear pads were replaced today at a ridiculous cost of £130!).

I'm thinking that as the car's nearly 5 years old that the calipers maybe due a service - what's the best way to go about this? Renault want £100 to strip them down for me.

Cheers

Anthony.

£130 just for fitting some £30 pads ???????????

Unfortunately so. The rears were binding and had to be stripped down. It was in for it's belts / waterpump service and MOT on the same day so I didn't have much choice (i'd not realised how bad they were).

My 197 has developed a judder in the past few months, which has now been picked up when it had it's belts replaced today.

When braking the judder can be felt both through the steering wheel and brake pedal, both when warm and cold.

The pads have plenty of life in them, as do the front discs (the rear pads were replaced today at a ridiculous cost of £130!).

I'm thinking that as the car's nearly 5 years old that the calipers maybe due a service - what's the best way to go about this? Renault want £100 to strip them down for me.

Cheers

Anthony.

dont want to be the grim reaper here mate but this is exactly what my 197 was doing and its turned out the be both ball joints lower suspension arm and the hub carrier all on the offside. 800 nicker its cost me might be an idea to get it checked

After reading up on worn balljoints - which seem to get picked up on MOTs mainly - i'm surprised it wasn't picked up today when having its MOT?

Last edited:
Brake imbalance? Warped disc?

I'm hoping so - although the discs themselves 'look' fine.

I assume my best course of action is to firstly have the calipers stripped?

Wheels were balanced last week when the Conti SC5s were fitted so that's not the issue.

Cheers

Anthony.

I was going to say pad material build up on the discs have you tried using the fronts really hard and then seeing what it is like ? sometimes as the pad material applies itself to the disc it can become irregular causing the "warped" effect

it could be warped of course ( have you used it really really hard ?

using the handbrake will help tell us if its front and rear or not .

I was going to say pad material build up on the discs have you tried using the fronts really hard and then seeing what it is like ? sometimes as the pad material applies itself to the disc it can become irregular causing the "warped" effect

it could be warped of course ( have you used it really really hard ?

using the handbrake will help tell us if its front and rear or not .

I have tried this in the past (braking from say 80 - 90) which causes the car to pull to one side a little which I guess indicates knackered ball joints? But it did seem to go away for a short while, although within a couple of miles (and little to no braking) the issue's back again.

I'll give the handbrake trick a go and see how it goes. FWIW the rears were binding and as of today have been stripped, cleaned and with new pads. The discs though seem to have little 'rust' lines on them (going from inner to outer edge of the disc) and stick after its been raining etc.

Anthony.

A quick blast out and :

- Applying the handbrake I can sense no judder through the steering wheel or brake pedal.

- After some spirited driving I noticed that the harder I work the brakes, and the less time I leave in-between braking, the judder definitely reduces (not to the point it disappears but much reduced). Although it could all be placebo! The brakes smelt a bit afterwards:rofl:

Thoughts?

Anthony

They 'look' fine to me and the (highly trained :thumbdown:smile: Renault mechanic said the same?

I can only hope you're right.

Since owning the car from last August it's been one large bill after another.

Anthony.

upon inspection the discs will look the same as normal no noticeable signs of ware

you can check for play in the ball joints by jacking the car up one side at the front enough to get a "bar" of some sort underneath and then lifting the bar up and down to imitate suspension movement so to speak.

if you can " feel " a thudding then its likley ball joint.