first trackday. brake fluid & a few other questions

I've booked a trackday at Oulton Park on the 4th October :smiley: Anyone else going?

Its my second trackday but my first one in my Clio 200.

Everything is completely standard on the car and I was going to leave it like that.

-However my mate who is also going has some spare race brake fluid (enough to do 4 calipers) and offered to give it too me. Is it worth the hassle? Has anyone had a problem of brake fade on track from the standard setup?

-What tyre pressures do you run at on track or is it the same as normal road driving?

If theres any other tips or advice for preparing my Clio on track please tell! I don't mind spending abit but but rather do the minimum to have fun. thanks!

Not sure on the tyre pressures exactly but bare in mind that the pressure will increase as the temperature of the tyre rises.

I'd always recommend refreshing the fluid... Especially if its not been done since new.

Last edited:
wing the pressures on the day, depends on conditions and how you like the car.

fluid won't do any harm but you should be fine of you don't bother.

As above I'd only do it if its behing in any routine servicing, is it sessions? If so the car should be fine worked hard for 20 mins at a time, and then allowed to cool off
had no issues at all on croft yesterday, my car is standard brake setup

thanks for the advice lads. It's an open pit lane so potentially lots of driving! I'll just do several laps at a time and come in. Its good too know yours was fine standard.

Can't wait to see what the clio can do on track, everyone says how good they are and driving it hard on the roads is always sketchy

I had some brake fade on the ring but obviously that is a completely different kettle of fish compared to Oultan. You should be fine

As Maccy said I would do 20 mins of driving and then the same cooling off. Remember to leave the handbrake off when cooling down or the rear pads might stick!

Some people like the 32 rear / 30 front setup for tyre pressure but again what ever feels best for you!

The best thing you can do spending a little money is to get some time with a track instructor, not only will they make you quicker and smoother in turn you will be making the car behave smoother and put less stress on it

try to give at least a lap to cool the car off

on the chequered flag lap i always try to do a full lap without toucjing the brakes to let the car and brakes cool down

also when you come in after a session dont put the handbrake on and open the bonnet to allow the engine to cool down.