F1 season 2016 comments here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nico Hulkenberg has signed for Renault for next year, long-term contract from what I've read. I can't see them holding onto Palmer or Magnussen if they can get one of the young guns in (like Ocon/Wehrlein). I like Palmer, but he hasn't done a brilliant job really - too many mistakes and a dose of bad luck hasn't helped.

Read on BBC this morning that Ross Brawn has signed a deal to take over from Bernie....

Forgot about the Hulk. Magnussen is either staying at Renault or moving to Haas, don't know if Mercedes would consider letting Ocon or Wehrlein move to a non-Mercedes-engined car though. Palmer is bang average, a lot like his dad actually.

I like Brawn, although his association with Ferrari/Schumacher tinges that with caution for me.

Forgot about the Hulk. Magnussen is either staying at Renault or moving to Haas, don't know if Mercedes would consider letting Ocon or Wehrlein move to a non-Mercedes-engined car though. Palmer is bang average, a lot like his dad actually.

I like Brawn, although his association with Ferrari/Schumacher tinges that with caution for me.
Surely Renault need a big name to see what the car can do. Too many average drivers in f1

No big names available though. Alonso may have gone back for one last final fling if McLaren had continued to be rubbish, but they've improved massively so he'll stay there. I think the Hulk is the best they could have gone for realistically. Maybe Vettel will be available for 2018 though if he keeps falling out with Ferrari...

Good point Sean, Ferrari seem to have enough sway as it is in F1, without another fanboy in the hot seat...

I think there's a lot of talent in F1, but not enough teams with the resources to give them a good car. Put any of the current grid (with maybe a couple of exceptions) in a Mercedes and they'll be fighting for podiums easily. I'm not saying Hamilton or Rosberg aren't talented, however the grid is full of very good drivers, but a lot of average cars.

@Jimmy

Kimi - should have retired last year.
Bottas - seriously underwhelming
Nasr - looking lost atm, can't really see another team taking him on except for money
Eriksson - invisible
Kvyat - lost it after Red Bull demotion, will be lucky to be in a seat next year
Gutierrez - beyond average, sounds like Kermit the Frog

Out of those, I think all of them could consider themselves lucky to still have a seat next year, certainly for 2018.

Reactions: Jimmy
Good post @Sean197

I think Kvyat has been re-signed by TR, however I imagine if he doesn't get his finger out and turn round his form, he could be in trouble. He is talented, but I think the demotion massively affected his state of mind/motivation.

Interesting that Kimi has been out-pacing Vettel this year, but I think that says more about Vettel's drop in form than it does any great improvement in Kimi's...

LOL at Gutierrez - I've read him described as looking like a sporty lesbian. His neck does look in danger of swallowing his head :smiley:

Reactions: Sean197
Gutierrez was only signed to placate Ferrari, in exchange for Hass using their facilities and engines etc. He did nothing at Sauber and definitely didn't get the Haas drive on merit.
Thank god Vandoorne got the McLaren drive, he blitzed the field in GP2 and is easily the best driver to come from the lower formulae since Hamilton in '07 imo.

I think the better driver would have been Jean Eric Vergne - I think he's still with Ferrari, and I really rated him as a driver.
Vandoorne looks a really good move by McLaren - could be a good match for Verstappen in terms of him being an exciting racer.

I think the better driver would have been Jean Eric Vergne - I think he's still with Ferrari, and I really rated him as a driver.
Vandoorne looks a really good move by McLaren - could be a good match for Verstappen in terms of him being an exciting racer.

As long as he doesn't swerve about like Verstappen he'll be fine :wink:

"I know guys, I've got a brilliant idea.... we'll set up this thing called Formula 1 motor racing - only thing is, because of all the rules that we keep introducing, you won't actually be allowed to race. Just kinda follow each other around a bit. And regardless of where you finish, we'll probably change it later on because of those rules I mentioned..."

"I know guys, I've got a brilliant idea.... we'll set up this thing called Formula 1 motor racing - only thing is, because of all the rules that we keep introducing, you won't actually be allowed to race. Just kinda follow each other around a bit. And regardless of where you finish, we'll probably change it later on because of those rules I mentioned..."
Jimmy that's exactly the problem. It all looks so mundane to me. Top 6 drivers all the same every week. I've never been able to fully get into the sport. Always seems to be dominated by someone or some team..
Sorry to all you F1 fans...

I don't disagree with you @Big Ben - as a sport, I think these days it is very hard to get into if you don't already follow it and are a fan. I've loved it since I was a kid and I always will, no matter what path it goes down.

But it does itself no favours at all in respect of trying to get new fans and followers - look at the Mexico GP - there were three different drivers that had third place ffs! As an outsider, you would look at that and think 'what the hell is all this about?!'

You will always get predictable winners, that's just the nature of the sport - it's as much about the technology and technical advancement than it is about driver skill. As a fan though, I just love it to bits, there's nothing like the spectacle of an F1 race! ('race')

Reactions: Big Ben
No big names available though. Alonso may have gone back for one last final fling if McLaren had continued to be rubbish, but they've improved massively so he'll stay there. I think the Hulk is the best they could have gone for realistically. Maybe Vettel will be available for 2018 though if he keeps falling out with Ferrari...

I used to think f1 was the pinnacle of motorsport, but now it's about money like football. I consider a wrc driver to be a bloody brave man whereas now I consider a f1 driver to be less skillfull :track:

Who's going to be watching the Season finale today.......?

You wouldnt want to wish bad luck on anyone would you......

Would be nice to see a British Champion though :smile:

Reactions: Big Ben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions