Excessive travel on brake pedal

Basically I have noticed excessive travel in the brakes on my new car (197) and as I had a months Warranty they have bled the brakes today and it has made no difference so they are putting new discs and pads on the front!!

Anybody had the same problem or an idea of what it could be? I am driving round in a crappy renault modus dci courtesy car and it is seriously damaging my image!!!

I'd have said get the fluid changed as well rather than just bled, see if they'll do that for you too whilst it's in. :smile:

Should have said, if you pump the brakes does the pedal get firmer? If so then there's air in the system and re-bleeding them will help

Cheers guys,

They are doing the brake fluid for me and putting new discs & pads on the front, it had new brake discs and pads on the back a couple days before I bought it...

When I pumped the pedal it made no difference to the firmness of the brake and didn't reduce travel...

I found it strange that when I apply the brake it makes a sound as though air is being released from the pedal??

But the Modus courtesy car does the exact same noise!! And the brakes are very responsive so I assume it is just the renault brake set-up and they all do the same...

Cheers guys,

They are doing the brake fluid for me and putting new discs & pads on the front, it had new brake discs and pads on the back a couple days before I bought it...

When I pumped the pedal it made no difference to the firmness of the brake and didn't reduce travel...

I found it strange that when I apply the brake it makes a sound as though air is being released from the pedal??

But the Modus courtesy car does the exact same noise!! And the brakes are very responsive so I assume it is just the renault brake set-up and they all do the same...

the noise you hear is the brake servo booster - it uses engine vacuum and atmospheric pressure to provide extra effort to the brakes when you press them - brakes on the 197 are not "over servoed" unlike the modus brakes
:foxspeed:

had this same problem, found the inside pad seized in caliper. and the disks wer rusted on the inside, new pads and a strip and clean of the calipers will sort it.

had this same problem, found the inside pad seized in caliper. and the disks wer rusted on the inside, new pads and a strip and clean of the calipers will sort it.

brilliant, hopefully shall sort it then mate!!

saying that when I went hard on the brakes it made a funny grinding noise on occasions almost as though something was seized on the front drivers side....

Had it M.O.T'd the day before I bought it though and they hadn't picked up on it annoyingly

Pretty common for them to seize in, comes with having alloy callipers and steel backed pads!

brilliant, hopefully shall sort it then mate!!

saying that when I went hard on the brakes it made a funny grinding noise on occasions almost as though something was seized on the front drivers side....

Had it M.O.T'd the day before I bought it though and they hadn't picked up on it annoyingly

it dosnot come into the mot anymore, they can only fail on break efficiency, and even with only one side of the caliper working there still quite good.

Make sure you bed them in porperley to get the full effect from them. It's a fantastic setup!!! :smile:

it dosnot come into the mot anymore, they can only fail on break efficiency, and even with only one side of the caliper working there still quite good.

if they are that bad it would show on the imbalance on the brake test rollers