Everyone, I would like you all to meet Stripes UPDATED post 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looking good on the part of the 197!

Fallen for the ST big time, I really cannot see any justification at all for some of the criticism it gets.

HOWEVER, the 197 stays. Too unique round here, too good looking, and I adore the red beast. But I'll be getting it back beginning of December, not October as previously planned :wink:

Not looking good on the part of the 197!

Fallen for the ST big time, I really cannot see any justification at all for some of the criticism it gets.

HOWEVER, the 197 stays. Too unique round here, too good looking, and I adore the red beast. But I'll be getting it back beginning of December, not October as previously planned :wink:

:f1team07:

:lol:

Can't help but think the ST is also more reliable.

Look at the stuff that is now going wrong with 197's;

Gearboxes
Slave cylinders
Exhaust manifolds
Ball joints
Also consider the costs of changing the cambelt

All of the above are expensive operations, and that is before you consider the poor wear of interiors, etc.

I always used to have Fords, sure you would find yourself replacing perfectly good parts with slightly better performance parts, but owning a French car it seems recently that I am just replacing broken or worn out parts. Granted my car is among the higher mileage examples but pretty much all of the things that I have had to do to mine are relatively common.

i dont suppose the chap who you swapped ya car for is from uckfield or is around uckfield alot just cause i have seen him driving around in a red 197 black speedlines and cup spoiler and he had the exact same fiesta!!??

Apples n' Pears. All cars go wrong, all have their strong and weak points. I won't have been seen dead in a clio, now I love it. Might have felt the same if by chance bought a damaged ST. Personally never driven one but think the styling looks too standard. Can't tell the difference without looking hard between the basic and the ST model.
Also might be snobery but 'most' fast fords and vauxhauls have a stigma and smell of gav'ness associated with them. Performance Renaults aren't generally viewed the same. I'd feel like a pratt getting out of a ST as a 40 year old bloke!!!!

i dont suppose the chap who you swapped ya car for is from uckfield or is around uckfield alot just cause i have seen him driving around in a red 197 black speedlines and cup spoiler and he had the exact same fiesta!!??

Aye that's him!! Matt :smile:

Can't help but think the ST is also more reliable.

Look at the stuff that is now going wrong with 197's;

Gearboxes
Slave cylinders
Exhaust manifolds
Ball joints
Also consider the costs of changing the cambelt

All of the above are expensive operations, and that is before you consider the poor wear of interiors, etc.

I always used to have Fords, sure you would find yourself replacing perfectly good parts with slightly better performance parts, but owning a French car it seems recently that I am just replacing broken or worn out parts. Granted my car is among the higher mileage examples but pretty much all of the things that I have had to do to mine are relatively common.

It is exactly that too. He's had no issues at all with the ST, nothing, it's on 62k now. The 197 bunny hops, doesn't like going into first gear when cold, exhaust sounds blowy when cold etc. I've actually been quite put off the Clio in all honesty. The Ford 'feels' better quality.

Yes the ST has an image problem. Already shown by some on here, but I could live with that, I'm not a Clio 'snob' so much now too lol

:smile:

It is exactly that too. He's had no issues at all with the ST, nothing, it's on 62k now. The 197 bunny hops, doesn't like going into first gear when cold, exhaust sounds blowy when cold etc. I've actually been quite put off the Clio in all honesty. The Ford 'feels' better quality.

Yes the ST has an image problem. Already shown by some on here, but I could live with that, I'm not a Clio 'snob' so much now too lol

:smile:

I got none of that when i had an ST500. My clio felt better in everyway, couldnt wait to hand the st back. I dont care about image, i like the st's but i dont think its anything special at all.

I bet if the ST was running more power from an n/a it would be a bit more miserable in the morning too! Lol! I think the Clio can be a bit of a pain to drive at times, it's not easy, especially when you are driving different vehicles all day at work like us Mike. The Citroen Berlingo almost drives itself! Ha ha!

I bet if the ST was running more power from an n/a it would be a bit more miserable in the morning too! Lol! I think the Clio can be a bit of a pain to drive at times, it's not easy, especially when you are driving different vehicles all day at work like us Mike. The Citroen Berlingo almost drives itself! Ha ha!

Dude im a lorry driver! I drive numerous lorry's a day + transits lol! To me it feels like a dream to drive something more stable after work lol!! But im a boy racer at heart, ive never changed since i was 16/17 and im nearly 26, doubt i ever will either lol :tongueout: Mine just feels like a race car with all ive done to it, but all the little imperfections just add to the buzz and feel/sportyness of it to me so i dont mind. Suppose some people expect different things i guess? Not a bad thing tho, we're all different :smile: I dont hate the ST, if they were cheap enough id have one as a run around and think with coilover and rear arb they would be a lot of fun. Interior, gadgets dont score points in what i look for but thats just me. On the edge the fiesta i had was all over the place on bumpy b roads, the clio eats that territory!! Imo of course chaps :wink:

But does it nail a B road like the 197!!!!!!

Dude im a lorry driver! I drive numerous lorry's a day + transits lol! To me it feels like a dream to drive something more stable after work lol!! But im a boy racer at heart, ive never changed since i was 16/17 and im nearly 26, doubt i ever will either lol :tongueout: Mine just feels like a race car with all ive done to it, but all the little imperfections just add to the buzz and feel/sportyness of it to me so i dont mind. Suppose some people expect different things i guess? Not a bad thing tho, we're all different :smile: I dont hate the ST, if they were cheap enough id have one as a run around and think with coilover and rear arb they would be a lot of fun. Interior, gadgets dont score points in what i look for but thats just me. On the edge the fiesta i had was all over the place on bumpy b roads, the clio eats that territory!! Imo of course chaps :wink:

I guess you are right in some ways, I too think that the little imperfections just show how the engine is so tightly wound to get as much performance as it can whilst running on normal fuel etc. I always think about how F1 engines need warming up before being raced. I love my Clio when I am on my own on some Welsh B roads, but when anyone is in it, it feels like it is too bumpy and compromised.

I got none of that when i had an ST500. My clio felt better in everyway, couldnt wait to hand the st back. I dont care about image, i like the st's but i dont think its anything special at all.

I agree, it isn't anything special, but it just feels better. But, when i get the red beast back, then we'll see how much I love her :wink:

Agree, my UPS van is restricted too lol!!!

i hav had lots of fast cars megane f1 clio 182 focus st fiesta st and the 200 now and out of the lot the fiesta st was the best out of the lot very nice to drive no knocks bangs unlike every clio and i no ppl raver on about them saying there are slow but there are only as fast as ford wanted them to be so young lads like me when i was 18 could get insuraned on them great car wil buy another once some day

iv came from a st to a clio, and the clio is far better at everyfink. other than low down power were the st is great. been on trackdays with both and they are similar performance. thats when u spend a little on the st, i had new springs, exhaust system and filter which brought it to life. the interior is better in the st if you dont have the recaros IMO. both cars are good fun but the clio 197 is the one that puts smile on me face.
01.jpg
[/IMG]
12.jpg
[/IMG]
035.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_7086.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_6433.jpg
[/IMG]
019.jpg
[/IMG]