Everyone, I would like you all to meet Stripes UPDATED post 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
i loved my ST 150 ( 172 ) bhp,

i see the new figures on the new ST are pretty good, ( could be tempted ).

one of the top ford boffins made a comment they didnt need 200hp like a clio as the fiesta is over 100kg lighter....

really do like the new st fiesta :cloud9:

ps. All owners are either a 17 year old boy, 35 year old woman or a 50 year old man. Factual FACT. :wink:

And they all still live at home with their mum.

Joking side and apart from the performance whats it like to drive in the real world, you know the comfort of the cabin, the ergononics of the switches and levers, you know the kind of thing.

First two days of ST...

Well, what can I say? I'm blown away by this car on most fronts so far.

NO it isn't as fast as the 197, and doesn't handle quite as well, but then I don't own the 197 for speed reasons or situations where handling would be life or death.

Done quite a few miles so far :oops: 244 so came the first fill up - £10 less than the 197 for same distance - according to my stats thingy (spritmonitor.de), the 197 is on 23p per mile, the ST on 17p per mile for fuel consumption, and I'm driving keenly too :wink:

At the moment, the 197 still looks better from the outside, no doubt about it. The ST looks kind of dated, but it does still look a fantastic little car.

The centre console on the Clio is hideous compared the the ST's, the dashboard on the clio is a vast expanse of plastic - the ST's is small, and well laid out.

The gadgets in the ST are good too. Matt, who owns the car, had all kinds of packs on it. It has the CD Multichanger, MP3 connectivity, heated windscreen, climate control, privacy glass and electric folding mirrors to name but a few things. BUT the car has a key still. Now, i'd forgotten how to use a key, as i'm used to a keyless card :wink::wink:

I believe the 197 is supposed to have an MP3 reader in it too (CD's), but mine doesn't.

That's all for now, more to come in the near future. Yes, i've fallen in love with the Fiesta ST, ignoring some of the abuse that comes from all angles about it, and deciding for myself how good it is :wink::wink:

The 197 is not going anywhere though....

STOC Topic: Clicky

:bounce1:

Last edited:
It begs the question why own a 197 if your not in it for the speed or handling? Perhaps you would have been better off with a Clio GT?

It begs the question why own a 197 if your not in it for the speed or handling? Perhaps you would have been better off with a Clio GT?

Oh believe you me, there are reasons why the 197 is better than the ST, some of which you have already pointed out :smile::smile:

More comfy, looks better, rarer, image to name but a few :smile:

Mike, does your Clio have any extras? I am a real Ford fanboy, buy have never liked the interior of the Mk6/6.5 Fiesta, I think the Clio (with climate at least) is much nicer.

I think if you used them on a track then the benefit would be clear, both are fun on the road but the Clio is streets ahead on the track, helped by its excellent brakes.

What it does perhaps illustrate though is just how good the standard Fiesta chassis is; the Fiesta ST shares most of its suspension with the standard car, the Clio RS shares pretty much none.

As far as I am aware, mine has no extras....old school air con, standard CD player.

I know 100% for definate that the 197 is much better on the track, let us not forget that video that upsets new Focus RS owners - the 200 vs FRS :wink::wink:

I just think that the ST gets such a bashing for no good reason, I've always had a soft spot for them :oops:

They are a great car, no doubt, but a perhaps a touch underpowered and the styling is perhaps undermined by the visually similar Zetec-S. Plus I don't like the interior, as above.

Big part of the problem with image is that they are a fast Ford, and appeal to a certain demographic, same can be said for fast Vauxhalls. Renaults don't seem quite as bad.

Big part of the problem with image is that they are a fast Ford, and appeal to a certain demographic, same can be said for fast Vauxhalls. Renaults don't seem quite as bad.

Totally agree with you. Certainly, the comments I've had from work colleagues, and people on here reflects this too. But as with every make of car, there will be "the wrong driver" for them :wink:

i really like it mate, my gripe would be that i dont like the headlamps on the old model Fiestas nearly as much as the new, but im sure it's a great little car, all fords are :smile:

Whats the ride like in it? Comfort wise.... firm or soft?

I will 110% be getting the new model ST when it comes out

PS - Without wanting to derail.... "let us not forget that video that upsets new Focus RS owners - the 200 vs FRS " - as somebody who has now actually owned both.... that video is retarded :tongueout:

Last edited:
i really like it mate, my gripe would be that i dont like the headlamps on the old model Fiestas nearly as much as the new, but im sure it's a great little car, all fords are :smile:

Whats the ride like in it? Comfort wise.... firm or soft?

I will 110% be getting the new model ST when it comes out

PS - Without wanting to derail.... "let us not forget that video that upsets new Focus RS owners - the 200 vs FRS " - as somebody who has now actually owned both.... that video is retarded :tongueout:

The ride is hard, like the 197, so not a problem for me, but the seats are nearly as comfy as the 197, so it ticks that box.

The new ST's have yet to appeal to me, I don't like it too much at the moment.

As for that video, yes, I agree with you there, and you and only a couple of other people on here are qualified to judge that too!

Knowing the Clio is a better option i'd never buy an ST. That said a set of coils and a decent set of wheels can make the ST look amazing. I would much much much prefer one of these over a VXR corsa!! (assuming the ST isnt a hideously uninvolved drive like the VXR is)

Standard for standard i found the ST's ride hard, which is fine but its not settled, over bumpy roads at was all over the place!! The clio just takes it. The rear end is pretty mobile as well. Steering is good tho, was one of the things i liked most about it. But i found past 70-80 it ran out of puff a bit. This is all mods aside as i no springs + ABR are a must!! Then they are a lot better!!

Standard for standard i found the ST's ride hard, which is fine but its not settled, over bumpy roads at was all over the place!! The clio just takes it. The rear end is pretty mobile as well. Steering is good tho, was one of the things i liked most about it. But i found past 70-80 it ran out of puff a bit. This is all mods aside as i no springs + ABR are a must!! Then they are a lot better!!

That day I saw you at JamSandwichSport, Nathan was getting his ST done - proper quick that is now! Keeps up with the 197.

Loving the ST lots :oops:

Had it for a couple of days when I was deciding on which car to buy (Clio 197, Corsa OPC/VXR, Polo GTI, Fiesta ST) and TBH, not only that I wasn't impressed - I found it to be the last car on the list to go for (even though the Ford dealership owed me money and I would get the Fiesta ST for free).

But, that's just me...

I like the way the car looks - and that's about it...

theres nothing wrong with a an st, my old clio 200 barley got away after 70mph with my mates st. the torque band is tons better than a 197 even a 200. you dont have to rev the nuts off it to get perfomance. im not saying the clios are bad because ive owned one but the st is alot better than you think, not as good as a 197/200 but good enough, specially with mountune suspension.

theres nothing wrong with a an st, my old clio 200 barley got away after 70mph with my mates st. the torque band is tons better than a 197 even a 200. you dont have to rev the nuts off it to get perfomance. im not saying the clios are bad because ive owned one but the st is alot better than you think, not as good as a 197/200 but good enough, specially with mountune suspension.

facebook_like_button_big.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions