Engine sounds through the speakers... On mk3's

Really random but I accidentally flicked my radio onto Medium wave at around 99.99MHz and the sound rises and falls with with the revs. Now it's not lovely and clear but just wondered why it does it?

Aftermarket radio? Or standard? I know there's a suppressor in some radios to eliminate electrical noise caused by engine components (coils, alternator, fan), caused by the same thing that messes up radios when HID's are fitted just AC pick up on DC cables, doesn't happen on FM due to the frequencies involved

Aftermarket radio? Or standard? I know there's a suppressor in some radios to eliminate electrical noise caused by engine components (coils, alternator, fan), caused by the same thing that messes up radios when HID's are fitted just AC pick up on DC cables, doesn't happen on FM due to the frequencies involved

This.

We get this on some older aircraft we fly, where the radios are knackered / aren't properly shielded so we get the noise through the headset - when you increase power the noise increases in pitch and the opposite for decreasing power. Oddly enough, only happens on piston powered aircraft...

Yeah that sounds about right, no HIDs fitted bit aftermarket HU. Was just curious really.

mine does a supercharger noise when i have the radio on aux with nothing plugged into the aux lead, it doesnt make it any faster though :worried: