Engine Overheating

Finally picked my car up, so happy with it was on the way back roughly 230 miles. We were about 3/4 of the way and stopped at Stafford services to swap drivers and the fan made a really weird noise. About 3 miles down the road we got stuck in traffic and then we saw the engine temperature rocket up and came up with warning lights saying engine overheating, so we pulled onto the hard shoulder for the car the cool down.

When off the motorway managed to speak to dealer who sold me the car saying it was the cooling fan fuse which had gone, we managed to find a Arnold Clark dealership which ran some diagnostics on the car which said all the fuses were fine but the engine overheating message kept coming on, so the guy at the dealership said to turn the AC on full fans and temperature, which worked all the way back. Ran it again a little bit later and all was fine again, does any one know any causes of this?

It's not for you to investigate - take it straight back to the dealer that sold it to you. It is their responsibility to fix it.

Is the coolant level ok? Is it actually over heating, or is it a false reading? It could be a sensor gettign a dodgy reading, failing that i'm be looking at thermostat and water pump.

Yep, as chris said, take it back straight away.

How did he come to the conclusion it was the cooling fan fuse, either he had an idea the fault was already present or he was clutching at straws. The suggestion of turning the fans onto full will have worked temporarily, however i wouldnt be driving it anymore that you need to, preferably straight back to the dealer.

i had this issue before only happened once. the fan fuse has a plug that can work itself loose. a cable tie fixed the issue. check if the fuse in the front of the battery is pressed in firmly on both ends. failing that i'd follow the above suggestion.

putting on the AC forces on the fan hence the problem went away

Yeah coolant level was fine and no leaks, I was on the phone to the dealership and he said that it would be fan fuse. I haven't managed to get back to the dealership as that's over 200 miles away, took it to a Renault dealer near me for diagnostics but I am having to fork out for it and claim back from the original dealer as the warranty won't cover it as it happened on the day of purchase

Last edited:
Yeah coolant level was fine and no leaks, I was on the phone to the dealership and he said that it would be fan fuse. I haven't managed to get back to the dealership as that's over 200 miles away, took it to a Renault dealer near me for diagnostics but I am having to fork out for it and claim back from the original dealer as the warranty won't cover it as it happened on the day of purchase

Why won't warranty cover it? Surely warranty starts the moment you pay for the car?

No, that was my argument but it should have been given me in a working manner, which it was for 200 miles and perfectly, so I will fight it have to but the sales guy who I bought it off was so helpful but he is off today so he can't help me get it sorted

Did they explicitly state the warranty doesnt start until the following day? Do they have it in writing anywhere or means to prove it? Because that is not standard practice in my experiance so I think the onus would be on them to prove that, should you take it to small claims.

Well Renault extended warranty admin said that it doesn't start till the next day but I am going to be claiming it back from original dealership, if they don't then I will fight it through small claims

Got it looked at the dealer, was engine wiring loom had come loss from the fuse box and so the fan wasn't coming on. Original dealership has paid for everything so I'm a happy now and can starting learning the proper in's and out's of my car