Drive to France.

Next Saturday im setting off for paris in my 200, anyone on here drove to paris or further in theirs anlready ? need some tips, and also are the headlight stickers realy needed ? as iv heard there a b**ch to get off again !

CHEERS GUYS :thumbup1:

You need a breatherlizer test kit now as well as your spare bulbs and highvise vest and you triangle and yes you need to do your headlights as there's are the other way round

I did London --> Alps last summer with a stop over in Paris, all i can advise is watch your speed when entering Paris got flashed about 3 times in one tunnel as the cameras are quite speed sensitive. On your way back from Paris to Calais, about 80km before Calais there is a big hill that you go down around 1km long it is very tempting to put your foot down just as we did but as you get to the bottom there is usually a police car in the bushes, this is all the advice i can give from trip last year :wink:

I drove all round France last year for 2 weeks of camping in the 197. Spare bulbs, a high vis jacket, triangle and headlight stickers are essential. The police can pull you over and if you dont have them they will fine you. Take the green part of your driving license too.
Speed cameras are hidden and catch you as your approach, not when you go past.
The headlight stickers are a pain (make sure you get the right ones for Clio). When you are back, pull them off and use some white spirit and a cloth to remove the left over glue.
Some of the motorways are 130KM (about 80MPH) which is exciting but be careful putting your foot down!
Otherwise - ENJOY!

I've driven over to the west coast of France a few times in my 200. You'll enjoy it once you're out the cities and on open, empty roads in the sun!

One important thing to note though about all those items listed above - high-vis vest for example - need to be accessible from inside the car. Thats the law, so throwing it all in the boot will still incur a fine. So i stuck the high-vis in the passenger seat rear pocket. And funny enough I have kept it there ever since in the UK.

Another important note - any device that has the locations of speed cameras or can detect them is illegal in France (iirc), that includes Tom Tom's that have the speed camera locations on (like mine). If pulled over they will confiscate it and fine you.

BBC above has noted the 80mph (130kph) speed limit on some of the motorways. Note this is weather permitting. So if it's raining, foggy etc the limit is 70mph (110kph).

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers for your help guys, i head if you take the bulbs but not actually fit them thats fine, i think iv more or less got everything sorted, might have to keep a 20euro bribe up my bum. Isit confusing driving on the right side of the road or generally easy just going with the flow ?

You need a breatherlizer test kit now as well as your spare bulbs and highvise vest and you triangle and yes you need to do your headlights as there's are the other way round

Surely you'd only need that if you are/have been drinking.

If your teetotal or not going to drink you can't be made to buy one of those?

You've covered most things in other posts, if you want a money saving tip use some electrical tape to convert your beams.

If you point your car at a wall with the lights on, you need to tape over were the beam flicks up to the left, try placing a piece of card over your lights to see were you need to put the tape.

Inform your insurance were your going and take all your car documents with you and keep them with you whilst driving.

Insurance, MOT, V5 and your licence.

Is it confusing driving on the right side of the road or generally easy just going with the flow ?

Weird at first, like you're going to cause an head-on collision! :scared:

But after a few minutes it feels normal. Just watch out for 2 things ...

1 - when you're at junctions you'll be so focused on watching the traffic to pull out, that when you do pull out you instinctively head for the wrong side of the road!

2 - when you're back on British soil you often do the above still, but in reverse, and find you're heading for the wrong side of the road!