DIY changing springs

Thinking of changing to eibachs, think I'd be ok DIYing it but does anyone have any tips on removing the front shocks?

From what I've read I guess they're too long to simply lift out of the hub without lowering the hub/subframe? Have had this problem on an old car and ended up taking it to a garage!

i have taken the struts off a megane ph1 - a bit of a fiddle with the lower ball joint but not that bad - took off complete with the perfo-hub as well

if you get chance a quick "how to" would be nice :smile:

Cheers, surely taking it off with the hub means disconnecting brake lines and driveshafts?

driveshaft nut off then knock shaft out but unbolt caliper then hang it up out of the way

the 197 front hub is a bit simpler than the ph1 megane set up

i was doing a different job on the megane (swivel hub fault)

i would think taking the suspension off in "big bits" would be easier than dropping the subframe along with any alignment issues it may cause - just my line of thinking

I see, not too much work as long as the driveshaft nut isn't too much of a bugga to get off!

I don't suppose you know if the drivers side will slide straight out of the hub? I only had a problem with the passenger side on my old car, I think because this was the gearbox side with the shorter driveshaft.

I see, not too much work as long as the driveshaft nut isn't too much of a bugga to get off!

I don't suppose you know if the drivers side will slide straight out of the hub? I only had a problem with the passenger side on my old car, I think because this was the gearbox side with the shorter driveshaft.

no idea sorry - but of all the times i have removed driveshafts from other cars they really have come apart quite easily either that or i have been lucky!

Thinking of changing to eibachs, think I'd be ok DIYing it but does anyone have any tips on removing the front shocks?

From what I've read I guess they're too long to simply lift out of the hub without lowering the hub/subframe? Have had this problem on an old car and ended up taking it to a garage!

you dont lower the subframe, you remove the link bars from the hubs. If you dont remove them they hit the lower arm and dont let the hub go down far enough.

Arseache of a job, did a megane before i had my ramp.......never again on the floor, ramp worth EVERY penny

Its not easy but im sure you would manage, they will need hammering out of the front axles but other than that its not bad oh its a wipers and scuttle panel off job too.

you dont lower the subframe, you remove the link bars from the hubs. If you dont remove them they hit the lower arm and dont let the hub go down far enough.

Arseache of a job, did a megane before i had my ramp.......never again on the floor, ramp worth EVERY penny

Cheers for the reply, could you say which bit you mean by link bars from the hubs in this diagram? I'm guessing the link bar labeled number 4? So once this is removed the hub should drop far enough for the shock to slide straight out with a bit of persuasion?

Picture5.png

This is bloody impossible. I've disconnected ARB drop link, hub link (Number 4 in above diagram), steering link from hub (don't think this made any difference) and all that happens is the hub hits the wishbone and wont let me lower it any further. Still have about 30mm of the strut to pull out of the hub.

I think this is impossible without lowering the subframe or removing the hub as Si said.

think you need to take the strut off with the per-hub assembly

driveshaft nut off - bottom ball joint off - then swing the strut away so you can push the shaft through (make sure the top mount bolts are loose)

Done it, I went for the lower the sub frame route as I didn't really fancy messing about with driveshafts (I would no doubt pull it out of the gearbox and lose all the fluid!).

I took some photos with the intention of doing a how-to, photos are limited though as I was so stressed out with it all! Started at about 10am and have just got back from a test drive - the eibachs are fantastic!

Knew someone would say it lol! Will get some tomorrow, fitting the springs nearly killed me so couldn't be bothered with the pics......:ban:?

oh no i bet that was a ball ache. I did it on a stand mate peice of piss.only think i had to have help with was removing the top mounts

What do you mean on a stand? If there's an easier way that I missed then I won't do a how-to lol. I disconnected everything I could and there was still about 30mm of the strut in the hub so there was no way I could pull it out.