R27.....DIY G/Box replacement?

Hi all :smile:

I've been a Renault person for years - but just picked up an R27 in awesome Liquid Yellow :smiley:

Its really tidy actually - save for a nip/minor crunch when going into 4th. Double clutching doesn't solve it which is odd. Does it hot or cold. I was aware of this issue before I bought it so I'm not stressing out.

I did however just waste £50 on some Redline MTL fluid for the box which made no difference at all....I also bled the clutch (wasn't a single bubble in there!!) which also made no diff. Oh well.

Anyway - Given that I bought this privately on 70k miles, I imagine i'll have no recourse with Renault so I'm wondering about buying a replacement box and swapping it out myself.

Just wondering if anyone has actually done this DIY before and written about their experience? I can see that the subframe is going to have to come off. I've got a few weeks off work so have the time to do it at the moment....

P.S - How about replacing the synchro rather than using a new box....is the g/box rebuild possible for a DIYer?

I've got a decent garage, can do it in there with good lighting and a good workbench. I've never actually removed a g/box before but ive been doing brakes, suspension and servicing etc for years in there.

Really grateful for anyones help or experience :smile: .....a how-to guide would be priceless right now!

Thanks all

Reactions: sevenfourate
Cheers just laid and got in.

Goood guide to the first half of it....doesnt get as far as actually swapping the rings tho.

Can see there is a guide in the list to removing the subframe that will help .

Does anyone other than renault still sell the gboxes or rings?

Cheers :smile:

Give the box time..... I didn't think it made a difference but a week or so later it made it much better! It's stiffer when cold but fine when warm. Saying that I do already have a spare box ready to go in!

Cheers guys :-D

Mine is about the same when hot or cold.

Interestingly when changing very slowly or very quickly ot goes in nicely....the crunches occur on a typical change...

Worse when changing down than changing up.

P.s it has now improved a little after a couple of drives....

NorthLoop - yep im definately interested. Have you a price in mind?

Cheers

Cheers guys :-D

Mine is about the same when hot or cold.

Interestingly when changing very slowly or very quickly ot goes in nicely....the crunches occur on a typical change...

Worse when changing down than changing up.

P.s it has now improved a little after a couple of drives....

NorthLoop - yep im definately interested. Have you a price in mind?

Cheers
I'll drop you a pm mate.