Diffrent exhaust noise... How to change it?

So after a couple of attempts on trying to perfect my exhaust sound I just dont get what can make it different (excluding the removal of cats/silencers) I have a custom stainless steel decat with only the centre silencer left (so still got my main cat then removed the pre-cat, then comes the silencer then the straight two back pipes) But my theory is the diameter of the pipes..

My middle section pipes is 57mm then drops down to 50mm for the back twin pipes I think!?? so if I get some new back pipes made to 57mm will this make a difference?

This gives me a deep rumble (i'll record the sound later today) but I want as near as the R3 rally car sound. Also my tail pipes are 4inch in length and 3.5ich wide, so will this also have affect?

Last point.. I'm removing my centre silencer Saturday and going to see if I'll fall in love or just simply hate if after a few hours. (shall post a vid of this as well)

Cheers Guys!

haha still tryin to sort that exhaust lol m8 it sounds mint for day had a message off Andy should have some news by the end of the week

This gives me a deep rumble (i'll record the sound later today) but I want as near as the R3 rally car sound. Also my tail pipes are 4inch in length and 3.5ich wide, so will this also have affect?

I want the opposite! My car sounds like an R3 and honestly on the road it's just a bit too 'honda with a spoon n1'!! Plus I don't think I'm trackday friendly either :worried:
But if you're wanting R3 sound then without question you'll get it with my setup (R3 manifold, 200cell cat, non-resontated 65mm supersprint centre, supersprint racing rear silencer)

So do you not have a rear silencer at all? I'm thining if yours is deep then it must be the centre box getting rid of the R3 raspyness?

The oreca group a system can't be far off. Thats what I've got just with a toyosports manifold and a sports cat. I've had it tested and the lad's at blyton were happy though Donnington park might be tight, as to fit the cat I had to remove the small silencer so it went from 87db to 96db

Had mine out on a private track today for a bit of a run before its remap, and like TBRich it sounds like a rally car. Like him I have the R3 manifold, but mine is full decat and a modded akra. Lots of pops and bangs.
Looks like you'll need to go similar set up to ours if your wanting the R3 sound.

[MENTION=43599]rosscoe[/MENTION] have you got any pics of the r3 setup fitted on yours? how does it perform since what have you done to get it running right - remap?

Ever since I've fitted it the cars been **** and I'm starting to question if it's holding my power back. straight after it was fitted if you gave it WOT between 2-3k it would just sit and splutter. Haven't tried the same test since the rebuild and remap though because I'm not wanting to labour the engine yet.

I'm thinking about ditching the sports cat perhaps for a decat in case the scavenging just isnt happy with the placement of the cat (on the R3 it's right near the rear axel not after the collector on the manifold).

cheers

@TB Rich I dont have any pictures of it but I can soon get some tomorrow for you.

I have a very similar set up to yours, where yours has the cat in place, I just have a decat.I modified my centre section of my akra to fit the R3 manifiold.
Think I cut about 6-8 inches out of it and welded a flange on the pipe. Its not running 100% yet as its had the manifold and a 64mm throttle body fitted so it sometimes miss fires at low revs.
I also fitted my first lambda sensor just behind the manifold on the exhaust, with the second lambda a couple of inches behind it.

I did run it without the first one yesterday but it was running so rich that my eyes were hurting in the garage.

Its booked in for a live remap on Monday so I'll let you know how it goes then.

cheers

Tam

Cool, would appreciate that mate :smile: Very interested to see the results too after mapping. Any other mods?

I'm going to try a decat, just been looking at Simo's, he has a much longer run of straight pipe before it gets to a centre silencer, probably similar to how yours is? (it's on page 150 of this thread!) The silencer is also likley a zero loss perforated style, much too small to have any kind of chamber setup etc.

I'm questioning now if my cat isnt acting like a flipping 'nana up the pipe! lol

It could well be mate. Other mods to mine are Itg maxogen with an extended air feed down to behind the front fog light, 64mm throttle body, full akrapovic system. And one of raptor's mega light crank pulleys.
That's it just now engine wize till Monday and the remap.

Just had a look at page 150 on simo's thread rich, that centre section looks very very similar to my one now. I'll get pict and take measurements today for you.

It could well be mate. Other mods to mine are Itg maxogen with an extended air feed down to behind the front fog light, 64mm throttle body, full akrapovic system. And one of raptor's mega light crank pulleys.
That's it just now engine wize till Monday and the remap.
[MENTION=43599]rosscoe[/MENTION] hi mate, how did your remap go today if it went ahead?

cheers

Still here just now mate, makin decent power, 206, but the fueling is all over the place at the top end. Once that's sorted I should be good to go. I haven't managed to get pics for you yet mate, sorry.

cool, grab a bhp wheels figure too if you can mate.

Sounds good though about what I was expecting from a standard car, hence buying it. Assume you'll get graphs? I need to collect as much evidence as possible because it seems like your making more power than me without cams and pistons. Take it you still have a stock airbox on now?

it's not finished yet but on the 206 run the wheel figure was 171.
It's goin back in a couple of days to get it sorted

Not yet mate, they called back wi some bull excuse about installing new software drivers, and he'd call back when it was done...as yet, no call.

so its booked into HQ garage to get done on the 24th of the month. How you getting on with yours?