Different Couple

Ordered the 5.00 Gripper final drive ratio from Corby motorsport yesterday, and it arrived at the house today, pretty good service I'd say

Now to get someone to fit it..

The company that did Simo's FD

Hello,
sorry for delay...
the final drive you ask is in work by now, we need 4 week to finish it and the price is 900€ and include shipping to Zagreb.

If you can wait, let me know your interesting please.

Thanks a lot

Angelo Ceravolo
Resp. Tecnico/Commerciale
cell. +39.338.3417134

Any reason why the 12x61 cant be used....pretty similar to the 14x69 ratio.

What teeth did your gripper have? I'm trying to work out if it is it possible to use any number of teeth and it work? I'm going to go with Quaife (simply for the fit and forget element) and will get a shorter final drive too.

Weighing up options now, I'm almost tempted to go for the 12x69 (5.75) Oreca with 120mph top end! But.... if I can use any number of teeth I could maybe get the place Simo got his 14x69 (4.9) to make up a 13/69 (5.3) to split the difference.

@foxspeed - just tagging you chap as you know your onions on these g'boxs. Actually also, do you think shot peening and/or cryogenic threatment on the synchros' will work in making them stronger? I know it works well on the actual gears and shafts.

Cheers

The crownwheel had 70 teeth on it, not sure about the drive pinion tho, remember and order new bearings for the quaife as they don't come with anything.

Last edited:
The crownwheel had 70 teeth on it, not sure about the drive pinion tho, remember and order new bearings for the quaife as they don't come with anything.

cheers, must have been 14 teeth I guess then as it's a 5.0. Seems like any combo will work then?

What teeth did your gripper have? I'm trying to work out if it is it possible to use any number of teeth and it work? I'm going to go with Quaife (simply for the fit and forget element) and will get a shorter final drive too.

Weighing up options now, I'm almost tempted to go for the 12x69 (5.75) Oreca with 120mph top end! But.... if I can use any number of teeth I could maybe get the place Simo got his 14x69 (4.9) to make up a 13/69 (5.3) to split the difference.

@foxspeed - just tagging you chap as you know your onions on these g'boxs. Actually also, do you think shot peening and/or cryogenic threatment on the synchros' will work in making them stronger? I know it works well on the actual gears and shafts.

Cheers

dont think you can do that to the actual baulk rings - but the gears yes

I actually think the oil used in the boxes isn't fully up to the job either!

dont think you can do that to the actual baulk rings

thats what I was thinking, not heard of it being done. Though I've read just now about WPC shot peening syncro's (some super micro fine japanese inveted shot) but can only find places in America, so might consider sending a new set of brass synchros over to be done.

Is there any truth in the original syncros being carbon and new ones brass?

thats what I was thinking, not heard of it being done. Though I've read just now about WPC shot peening syncro's (some super micro fine japanese inveted shot) but can only find places in America, so might consider sending a new set of brass synchros over to be done.

Is there any truth in the original syncros being carbon and new ones brass?

I cannot get an answer on that one

been to a parts dealer who I know quite well and the gearbox internals for 197-200 are the same set up - that doesn't eliminate a change in material or build specification limits that happens over production time like other components..

it would seem from the amount of gearboxes failing that the early closer ratio boxes seem more reliable and that the newer ie longer ratio boxes seem to give most trouble as there are a lot of 200 gearboxes been replaced

thing is with shot peening the items is the finish they need to work on the synchroniser hubs and the running clearances required to work correctly..