Dealer Service - Harratts Wakefield

Paul

Platinum Member
Just picked my car up from the 4 year service and I am less then impressed. :thumb1:

Had a call from them two weeks ago saying that my service was coming up and they had an offer on which included service, aircon, tracking and MOT for £200. Which was a really good price, had a bit of a chat with the girl on the other end about age and mileage etc. and I asked if that price was right for an RS model. She went away and came back with a price of £250 due to the performance oil that they require. TBH this is fair enough, I didn't expect it to be the same as a boggo Clio.

Got a price from Queen Service Renault as a comparison, which came to £212 for everything according to the service schedule, including MOT, £167 excluding.

Booked it in for today with Harratts Wakefield as my door handle lock has packed in again. I asked to drop it off the night before due to work and pick it up the following evening, all was fine. Did the usual and asked not to wash it with the communal brush and to call me if a joyride is required etc etc.

I had the drivers door handle replaced under warranty last year, this broke again about 6 weeks ago while in Germany. I asked if this would have any sort of guarantee of workmanship, I was told if this was the same fault then it would be, but I had to bring it in before the year was up - which was the day I dropped it off. I asked the receptionist about it when I dropped the car and she said it was fine the year guarantee hadn't expired and would be looked at.

Now the service schedule states that at 4 years the coolant and brake fluid should be changed, I expected that the price quoted would be for my car given that I had been asked about it (mileage and age) so it would be accurate. Got a call today at work saying that the coolant and brakes needed doing too. I was a bit confused as I thought I had been quoted for a 'service according to schedule', but instead it was going to be a further £110 on top of the £250. Rather than have to pay this I wanted to go with the previous quote at QSR to save myself a fair chunk of money. I said not to do the work and I would go elsewhere. The response was that the service had already been carried out!?!?!

I asked why I wasn't told before and could make an informed decision, apparently the fluid and coolant is only a Renault recommendation (not according to the manual) and might have been done elsewhere in between services, which wouldn't be on their records (understandable) which is why I wasn't told earlier - surely asking me if this had been carried out previously would be common sense rather than withholding the information until the car was with them.

Got a call saying it was ready but they weren't going to do the door and it would be £100 to fix. No explanation as to why... By this point I have completely given up getting any sense out of the team there, I have too much work on to be arguing with people who apparently don't know the products they are selling.

Due to work again I had to settle the bill over the phone, I have since looked at the receipt and found that I have been charged for spark plugs, which I had last year, shown on last years receipt and surely kept on Renaults system? They don't need to be done every year!!! Also no pollen filter which I understood was an annual item. I know it is a technicality, but the total cost of oil used was £42.50 which doesn't explain the £50 premium I am paying for it being an RS, I very much doubt that the other oil used for non-RS's is free... A £10-£20 premium over the standard oil would have been reasonable.

Now I don't know if I was mis-advised when I booked it in or what, but to be given more misinformation throughout is aggravating. I was told the service would be 'to schedule' - it says so on my receipt - this wasn't completed, I have been charged for items that weren't required, not following through with repairing the handle, not having the option to go elsewhere and get better service at less cost is also frustrating! Overall I am completely annoyed, I can't see how one dealership can be so different after 12 months!

Taken my car there for 3 years - that will be the last time.

Starting to regret enquiring about a 265 at WSR now... :@

Apologies for the rant but does anyone think I am just being unreasonable? :huh:

I'd kick right off, hope you didn't pay them the extra £110!?! :worried:

Sound like a right bunch of amateurs at that dealership.

what a load of old tosh.i think they think we are as stupid as them
hope your going to complain and ask WHY you were charged that much

The thing is 12 months ago I was happily singing their praises! Nope didn't pay the extra and I will be calling the card company tomorrow to dispute it as I am furious that the plugs have been done again!

The car had covered 6000 miles since last service - 1400 of this was to the 'Ring - for the door handle to break again isn't on as it has hardly been used.

Just seems like they don't know what they are doing!

that's poor, you shouldn't have had to pay the extra, you were quoted a price and if it was going to cost more than that they should have called you before they did the work surely?
could you write to them or to renault and see if they can sort it out?

if they have done work without your permission your well within your rights to refuse to pay for it....they should always ask first

same on the plugs....i would be paying them a visit and complaining - its not good :foxspeed:

you know you should have had the minmum done then visited "fox motors" for the other bits doing :thumbsup:

what a load of old tosh.i think they think we are as stupid as them
hope your going to complain and ask WHY you were charged that much

Yup - the same rant is on the RS forum!

I did had the service managers email addy, if I had that still he would have one direct! :argue:

tbh mate the sales staff down there are bob on, but the lasses behind reception and service counter are as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd.

I would be complaining to somebody about that tho.

if they have done work without your permission your well within your rights to refuse to pay for it....they should always ask first

same on the plugs....i would be paying them a visit and complaining - its not good :foxspeed:

you know you should have had the minmum done then visited "fox motors" for the other bits doing :thumbsup:

Yeah mate, I don't like imposing on you though! Thanks all the same! :thumbsup:

I have told you, set your own place up and you will have the RS capital on your doorstep in no time!

tbh mate the sales staff down there are bob on, but the lasses behind reception and service counter are as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd.

I would be complaining to somebody about that tho.

Yup some of the sales team are great, although you do still get some idiots, I was looking at the Silverstone edition on the forecourt and one of them said that I wouldn't get insured on it.... WTF!!!

Smugly said 'that is my R27 over there so why is this so special?' Muppets! :@

They're a bunch of mugs mate! They took the piss with me on too many occasions, even trashed my paint! I would NEVER deal with them again! It's a shame there's no decent RUK dealership around here. Then again are there any at all?

They're a bunch of mugs mate! They took the piss with me on too many occasions, even trashed my paint! I would NEVER deal with them again! It's a shame there's no decent RUK dealership around here. Then again are there any at all?

harrats ponte were the better of all in the leeds/wakefield area - even queens said it :s

Last edited:
Must be best of a bad bunch then Si. If I'm fair the mechanics seemed a nice bunch and one or two of them seemed to know their stuff. My biggest gripe was the general crap attitude and lack of product knowledge throughout the place. They just seemed to get everything wrong, they even took to lying to me on occasions. Which unfortunately sounds similar to pauls experience.

Must be best of a bad bunch then Si. If I'm fair the mechanics seemed a nice bunch and one or two of them seemed to know their stuff. My biggest gripe was the general crap attitude and lack of product knowledge throughout the place. They just seemed to get everything wrong, they even took to lying to me on occasions. Which unfortunately sounds similar to pauls experience.

Yeah that sounds all too familiar! :thumb1:

Bit of a **** take really, I have spent more than enough with them over the past three years, on top of that I have recommended them plenty of times too!

harrats ponte were the better of all in the leeds/wakefield area - even queens said it :s

my bad! i meant to say harrats ponte were the better of the dealers :s

I would speak to them, particularily sales manager Andy i think it is. Really good bloke who has treated me really well in the past. I have had some warranty work done with them recently and they were more than helpful. They also re-lined my drivers Recaro and paid for it themselves after renault UK refused, which i was more than pleased with. Give them a chance before you give up on them, i have a felling they will come good. I have dealt with many dealerships before, all worse than Harratts Wakefield! Let me know how you get on!

Will do fella! I did have that same experience last time, however I have been greatly disappointed this time, lack of knowledge and lack of responsibility have wound me right up!

Your not filling me with confidence Paul! Mine is going into co-op reno in Mansfield next week for its 4th service. I had plugs done last year and intend to notify them of it! Tehy can do the basics minus the brake fluid change - will get that done else where as I have some shiny new pads and braided lines to be fitted at the same time :smile: . Are any belts due to be replaced do you know? Done 12k miles since november !