De-catted Manifold: The results

Its not like that in renaults trust me. Ive asked alot about cutting cats out and u DO need F/I or mega mods to make it work decat less horse a midges more torque im asking a guy with a degree in engineering im not going to disagree with him.

Pulse tuning? Hes just cut the cats out no remap.

Im doing a degree in motorsport engineering atm.

Sounds like you have got lots of plans for your clio then!! Do you not think the chassis will struggle to cope with all that power?

Im not claiming any massive gains, frankly im not really bothered if any of you decide to do it or not. This thread is purely to answer any questions anyone might have about decatting the manifold, and my experience. Simon has already done this modifications with a hp increase of 7bhp (iirc).

I CAN feel an improvement in response, midrange torque and top end power. With my experience, i can feel small changes which are done to the car, chassis or engine wise. The flat spot at low revs is annoying but will be mapped out (hopefully).

This forum is getting more and more like cliosport.

now this isnt aimed at anyone in particular just an observation from what i have witnessed on various renault forums

i think the problem is lots of people talk about modding and talk a good bit of tech with out actually getting out there and having done it hands on

people just swat up on the net and become qualified motorsport technicians overnight lol, and then give it large the other end of the keyboard and hope they sound like they know what they on about lol

Last edited:
now this isnt aimed at anyone in particular just an observation from what i have witnessed on various renault forums

i think the problem is lots of people talk about modding and talk a good bit of tech with out actually getting out there and having done it hands on

people just swat up on the net and become qualified motorsport technicians overnight lol, and then give it large the other end of the keyboard and hope they sound what they on about lol

makes a fair and gd point

Everyone is titled to an opinion but no one should ever assume they are right, and I'm a fan of anyone willing to give new ideas a go,

IMO and I'm no engineer putting cats in the manifold is restrictive and seems to me to a last resort to getting emissions down to meet constantly greener standards I can see no other need for them to be there removing them would most certainly improve the flow.

Woody you want to be looking at water meth mate that engine of yours will be on fire lol!

I dont have much experience when it comes to n/a, with f/i you definitely want the cats out. In theory if the cars mapped to suit the free flowing exhaust i dont see there being an issue, after all, it isnt as though theres always been cats since day one, its only in recent years they've been fitted.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the results, stick it on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road, shootout 44 mode and lets see what she's got :biggrin:

Sound great, Simone had this mod like you said and got good gains.

If cats were needed on this engine the why does the NA 250bhp R3 have no pre-cat a 100cell sports cat and a single exit exhaust with a tiny backbox :001_huh: ?

i dont think it the matter of taking the cats out, its getting it set up after some people on here have just took the one cat out and put it straight back on because of flat spots and the fact that even good mapper cant map them out. the R3 will be running a completely different ecu and other bits and pieces mostly internals so really cant compare that with the road version.

cookie you still running lamba sensors or are they loose.

still running the lambda.

r3 runs a 100 cel becasuse for cars manufactured after a certain date, it is compulsory.
(cant remember the year tho!)

i dont think it the matter of taking the cats out, its getting it set up after some people on here have just took the one cat out and put it straight back on because of flat spots and the fact that even good mapper cant map them out. the R3 will be running a completely different ecu and other bits and pieces mostly internals so really cant compare that with the road version.

cookie you still running lamba sensors or are they loose.

still running the lambda.

r3 runs a 100 cel becasuse for cars manufactured after a certain date, it is compulsory.
(cant remember the year tho!)

I was getting at the fact theres no need for them :wink: and that the R3 is a tuned version of our engine making good power regardless of the ECU, as you all know.

Sound great, Simone had this mod like you said and got good gains.

If cats were needed on this engine the why does the NA 250bhp R3 have no pre-cat a 100cell sports cat and a single exit exhaust with a tiny backbox :001_huh: ?

yes mate, i had this mods, but around 2600/2900 i had a big flat spot:'(

now i'm trying to refit (with a different ecu and more mods):tongue_smilie:

Good work matey. Kind of in line with my own similar plans :smile:

Should have had the manifold ceramic coated while it was off though :smile: