De-catted Manifold: The results

Exhaust System:

Ktr Pro System with decat pipe.

Engine modifications:

Matched inlets, (exhaust, as above), ITG filter, accoustic valve removed, modifications to the cold air feeds.

Manifold Modification:

Standard manifold, with the Cat removed.

• Firstly I bought a second exhaust manifold off a member on the forum (this was to reduce the time my car was off the road).
  • Next i took the second manifold to a friend of mine who is a fabricator. He cut the Cat out of the manifold. He then fabricated the pipes into a "Y" piece. (see bellow in picture)
  • After i had the manifold ready to put on, i set about removing the standard one. Its a very involved job and i needed to drop the whole of the subframe, to do this i removed wheels, the lower arms, track rod ends, and the anti-roll bar link arms (remember to disconnect the battery!). I also detached the steering column in the drivers footwell, lower engine mount etc. After these where all removed i loosened the securing bolts and lowered the subframe.
  • After the subframe was removed i loosened the manifold and disconnected the lambda sensor.
  • After this i installed the modified manifold (ideally you would want to replace the exhaust gasket, but i didnt :smile: )

Results:

Initially, due to the modifications which the car had, it did have a small flat spot between 2-3k revs.

After the manifold modification, the engine seemed to rev much more freely, and there seemed to be a large increase in response and mid range torque. The engine does pull harder, and the only thing i can compare it to is my 190bhp (proven) 182!

The exhaust note has changed rapidly, and i absolutely love the sound it now makes. The k-tec pro exhaust is imo the best around for the 197 (sounding and performance!), removing the manifold cat has improved the sound quite considerably!

With the decat mani fitted the flat spot has narrowed, it is not between 2200 and 2500 rpm. I am going to get the car mapped to suit the manifold modification, which will hopefully cure this.

I however wouldn't recommend this modification to everyone who "lightly" modifies their 197. It isnt an easy modification, i would advise getting a garage to remove/replace the manifold if you do it (unless you actually are "handy" with a spanner and have the facilities). I have a spare engine which will be kept N/A and is going high comp with forged internals. etc, which is why i decided to decat the manifold.

I have a short video of the cars sound, and pictures of the modification to the manifold. Sadly the pictures were taken on my iphone... so they havent come out very well.

I will upload these shortly.

Josh

looks good mate.

so have you removed the pre-cat in the manifold and the cat lower down, so its basically straight through?

nothing againt you mate but honestly cant see the point in chopping into the exhaust like this.

if anything this mod will greatly reduce power unless u had headwork, valves n cams.

as for the lightly modified bit . . . .. ures is lightly modified with the exhaust chopped up

Read the thread, have a spare engine which im doing.

I will let you know when it goes back on the rollers.

It was a spare manifold, and it has increased mid range torque and top end. Was compared multiple times to a 330d beemer, it was EXACTLY the same, now it pulls slowly.

ive read the thread and

Matched inlets, (exhaust, as above), ITG filter, accoustic valve removed, modifications to the cold air feeds.

is all i can really see. oh and the high comp pistons y?

it has increased midrange torque from what proof? how it feels?

Yes mate, from how it feels. From my driving experience, i have a feel for changes to the car.

And i fancy raising the comp ratio a little more. Along with some wilder cams, etc.

how would you raise the compression without changing pistons?

i know you can skim the block to an extent but is there another way?

y would you go forged if you had no intentions of going F/I?

if you go for cams go for catcam or schrict they are best on market.

Forged pistons arnt just dished. You can also buy domed.

Thanks, you looking to modify your exhaust becuase your going F/I

no tbh im going to go forged liners, even larger injectors and crank up the boost. hopefully looking at 350 bhp plus then the piece de resistance will be a massive shot of NOS with a purge kit (for looks) to see 450 BHP figures. . .. . thats a long way off yet though

nothing againt you mate but honestly cant see the point in chopping into the exhaust like this.

if anything this mod will greatly reduce power unless u had headwork, valves n cams.

as for the lightly modified bit . . . .. ures is lightly modified with the exhaust chopped up

it really doesnt work like that matey, de cats = good gains. and restriction bad in an exhaust system.

im guessing you havent looking into pulse tuning yet?

rolling road print out is needed, 3 different rolling roads and a mean power at wheels figure is required before you can make any claims of power gains