Déjà-blue - The tale of R27 #375

Some photographic skills you've got there!

Car looks awesome, this is a proper advert for the 197.

Now in regards to K-tec...well, lots of similar (or worse) stories around..

Thanks [MENTION=2045]Yiannis197[/MENTION], and for the record I love your Clio too! Although it does make me want to spend more money...

I thought it was about time I resurrected this thread, although I haven’t got a great deal to report to be honest, so maybe (just maybe) this will be a fairly concise one!

First off, you may remember my tale of woe regarding the airbag clock spring, which had previously been butchered by a would-be Edward Scissorhands, leaving a permanent warning lamp on the dash and inoperative cruise control. Well, when I was first searching for a new one I had set up a saved search on the good old Bay of E’s with the part number of the bit that I required, and then immediately forgotten about it. A good few weeks later I was reminded when an email dropped into my inbox saying one had just been listed. Moreover it was an absolute steal at approximately half the price of the ones I had seen previously. The big bad “Buy It Now” button was clicked without delay, and two days later it arrived on my desk.

Fitting it was pretty straight forward fortunately, although looking at this mess half way through was just a touch scary!

15903006337_19fef8d541_o.jpg

Once it was all thrown back together, and I nervously re-connected the battery and hit the start button, not only did nothing explode in my face, but I was greeted by a lovely warning free set of dials!

15901483390_67edc057a6_o.jpg

However, a short couple of days later, those same dials did deliver me a somewhat depressing message – my relatively low mileage R27 had now ticked its way into the big five-o’s. Is it just me or does this number somehow seem a far scarier prospect than the mid-to-late 40’s? Still, it has certainly covered a lot less tarmac than every one of my previously owned cars, so I really shouldn’t grumble!

15901320698_fbbee253e8_o.jpg

Anyway, the fitment of the new clock spring assembly finally allowed me to connect up the cruise control switches which I had retained from the OEM wheel, but first I needed to fabricate a bracket. And here it is; from initial prototype, through dodgy aluminium test piece, to finished and painted article on the bottom right. It fits like a glove! I can now smash down the motorway at 70mph whilst getting all Michael Flatley on the dashboard, or at least I probably could after a few years of intensive yoga training.

15901485280_86408f29ce_o.jpg

16062966796_1b682900b7_o.jpg

Now for a slightly more exciting occurrence, another trip to Hullavington Airfield for a Motorsport-Events organised hoon. I was pretty confident leading up to the day, having pretty much nailed the lines and braking points on my last visit. But back in September it was bone dry, unfortunately a quarter of a year later it was not. At all. In fact a jet ski would have been a far more appropriate mode of transport than a car, let alone a car sporting well-scrubbed semi-slick’s on all 4 corners!

It could not have been a more different experience to last time, yet because of that it was just as much fun. The tyres really struggled for grip, especially under braking where my ABS was really earning its keep. Yet sliding through the corners feathering the throttle, on and beyond the limits of adhesion, was simply glorious, and somehow only ended in a (rather spectacular) pirouette once! It is the first properly wet track day I have ever done, but would urge everyone to try and do something similar. It has given me far more knowledge of how a car behaves at its limits than I would get in a lifetime on the road, and consequently a whole heap more confidence in what to do should I ever suddenly find myself at said limits somewhat unexpectedly!

There was a photographer on hand to capture the action, although annoyingly the shots he did get aren’t particularly enthralling.

15901485130_a35b23a2dd_o.jpg

16086844101_fb9f409061_o.jpg

Even so I had to show my appreciation for the fact he donned a cagoule and braved the conditions at all, and handed over some of my hard earned coin for a full res of this one, which I then tweaked to my tastes:

15902667979_077b9aaf5f_o.jpg

Also, true to a previous promise, I nabbed a friend’s GoPro for the day and managed to get two short videos of my antics before the battery decided it no longer wanted to play. Not entirely sure they are very exciting for the casual viewer, as in neither of them do I crash, nor make particularly rapid progress! It will, at the very least, give people some idea what a Scorpion resonated system sounds like in attack mode. Enjoy:

[video=youtube;MdRFHxPFsaM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdRFHxPFsaM[/video]

[video=youtube;jqJRysh7N-s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqJRysh7N-s[/video]

So what have I been up to since then? Well not a great deal really. I chucked my bike in the back for a quick trip to the trails (a recent purchase having been out of the saddle for far too long), and was pleased to discover it fitted snuggly with just one wheel removed. How very practical. Colour coded tarp is a nothing but a pleasant coincidence by the way.

16088771095_618772fbf8_o.jpg

I swapped the now very dead NS2-R’s from the front (yes I have seen off two pairs in a little under 6 months… it is a problem) with something a little more suited to the current weather conditions, Uniroyal Rainsport 3’s.

15466449444_3cc751d30a_o.jpg

I first must apologise for the state of the above. A. this was just after fitting, B. DS2500’s are extremely dusty, and C. alloy refurb’s are on the to-do list! Those are my excuses and I’m sticking to them. First impressions of the tyres are reasonable; they are noticeably softer in the sidewall than the Kangers, which allows a little more body roll and annoyingly a much less responsive turn-in. On the flip side they are a damn site better at clearing standing water! I am already regretting the fact I cheaped out and only got them on the fronts though, having recently found myself navigating a moist corner with quite a substantial amount of opposite lock!

Oh and I also cleaned it (check out the lesser spotted Husky in the garage – I forgot I owned that as well):

15901483380_fac2eb8065_o.jpg

Decorated the Recaro’s for Christmas:

16088053162_ef8fe7a43e_o.jpg

Got it very dirty:

15469082843_9e71488a6d_o.jpg

And then cleaned it… again:

16088770265_863e6921a9_o.jpg

And fancy that, it was pretty concise too! Me and a few friends may be having a festive jaunt over the border to Brecon at some point soon, so I will try and bring you some decent images back, seeing as the ones in this post are almost entirely via my mobile phone. Hopefully they will be of the car looking lovely on a squiggly bit of road against some delightful frosty scenery, and not upside down at the bottom of a valley, but I make no promises.

Merry Christmas and thanks for reading.

Rob

Last edited:
great write up mate..especially about doing a proper wet track day...as u said it gives u more perspective of what ur car is capable of...looks sweet and i can tell that u do take a lot of pride in it...
anyway..happy xmas and please do keep it going..great upgrades

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION], I do try and take care of it you're right, unfortunately at this time of year it takes next to no time for it to dissappear under a thick layer of road filth again :'(

Thanks [MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION], it's nice having something a bit different! Have all your friends got VXR's too? :d

Great write up mate, So well written. Where do I sign up for English lessons, haha!

Car looks lovely plus I hardly ever see RB R27's. Loved your brake set up, so Ive just ordered the same. Will be keeping an eye out for this thread. [emoji4]

Thanks [MENTION=3735]Luke_197[/MENTION] it is an awesome colour, I think I actually prefer it to LY now I've owned it for a while!

You will love the brakes, what pads have you gone for?

Thanks [MENTION=3735]Luke_197[/MENTION] it is an awesome colour, I think I actually prefer it to LY now I've owned it for a while!

You will love the brakes, what pads have you gone for?

I agree mate, Looks great with the r27 decals too.

I hope so. My brakes aren't as sharp as I would like them, so I hope i see big improvements with the upgrade. I already have Goodridge hoses and AP dot 5.1 fluid, although I am tempted to change to the ATE super blue because of all the good things I've heard. Have gone for DS2500 pads.

I used the ATE in my last car and had no issues, and it's so damn cheap from Euro Car Parts that it's really hard for me to be tempted towards anything else! Plus the colour makes it really easy to know when you've done a full flush through of the system.

So our festive frolic over to Wales happened, and I am pleased to report that nobody died.

We met initially at a small services in Swindon, with the temperature gauge atop the Clio’s dashboard indicating a heady 1 degree centigrade. The previous day had also seen a not-insignificant amount of rain, so the conditions were not exactly perfect for an enthusiastic drive on some remote country roads! However, at least I was prepared. I had my flask of tea in the centre console and my arctic expedition clothing on the rear seats. Please note I have never really been on an arctic expedition, but I image they probably wear a 4 year old parker from Debenhams, some touch-screen friendly gloves from Asda, and a stupid hat from somewhere-that-I-can’t-actually-remember-but-may-have-been-Next. Most importantly though, I had packed the camera gear.

This was set into action soon after we reached our second meeting point – Leigh Delamere services on the M4 – where we were joined by a friend in his S5 Cab. This concluded a rather eclectic mix of machinery as you can see, from left to right – the aforementioned S5, a 2014 BMW M3, my R27, a Lotus Exige S 240 (in health and safety pleasing high-vis-jacket yellow no less), a Mini Cooper S, and a Vauxhall Corsa C with a ballistic Red-Top conversion.

15534559894_06553731e0_o.jpg

The sun was now poking its head out, which had succeeded in improving temperatures to a sweltering 3 degrees. In fact the maximum we saw all day was only 4, with it hovering around the 2 degree mark the majority of the time.

After a less than exciting cruise down the motorway, enlightened only by the obligatory toll-booth grand prix, we took a scenic route across the Brecon’s to the A4069, more commonly known as the Black Mountain Pass. The chilly and mildly icy tarmac meant that none of us were exactly pedalling at ten-tenths, which meant it was easy for everyone to stick together, following the little fluorescent 2-seater from Norfolk in a chain of howling exhaust notes and whooshy intakes. The pass itself was just as stunning as I remembered from my previous visit back in July (read the thread if you haven’t already!). The views from the top are simply breath-taking and the squiggly route to get up there, and back down, is non-stop excitement and adrenaline.

I have to say the experience was a lot different to the summer, back then even though the car was still very new to me, it was massively confidence inspiring. But today it was the polar-opposite, the once super-responsive steering felt somewhat soft and vague. Of course the slippery road surface wasn’t helping the matter but that could not be the whole story, what else had changed? Then it dawned on me, it had to be the tyres. This was the first real test for the Uniroyal’s since they were fitted and I must say I am very disappointed. Don’t get me wrong they seemed to have a reasonable amount of grip in such testing conditions, but they simply do not communicate this back to the driving seat in any way shape or form. You need to force yourself to chuck the car in, hoping it will stick, rather than knowing that it will, and this is not the way I like to drive, especially on the road. I feel like I have shoved a scrunched up sock into the mouth of a once uncontrollably talkative chassis, and then secured it with a big length of Gaffa tape. What a mistake, I can’t wait to get my Nankang’s back on now!

Anyway, we all made it to the pass without incident, and stopped a short way up for a breather and a leg stretch. We just about managed to squeeze all the cars into a tiny section of gravel on the verge, perilously close to the bank of a small river. Annoyingly there were no classic You’ve Been Framed moments and nobody had to continue the trip in damp undercrackers, but on the plus side it was a perfect setting for a couple of photos.

15969456398_88f4c2e1f2_o.jpg

16131113686_65672a98d7_o.jpg

We made a couple of runs up and down the pass, dodging in between various hikers, cyclists and kamikaze sheep, before heading east to pick up the A470 then down to Merthyr Tydfil for a refuel and a Big Mac meal. From here a couple of the guys decided to call it a day and proceed back to base, I, however, had different ideas. On our brief stint on the A470 I had spied a familiar road sign containing five characters, individually insignificant, but when put together made my heart have a little flutter. They were A, 4, 0, 5 and 9. As the last few French fries were ingested I declared my intention to retrace some steps and tear up this amazing stretch of asphalt until the very last ray of sunlight had disappeared. Happily the drivers of the Exige, Corsa and Mini were game to join, so off we went.

I’m sure I speak for the collective when I say how glad I am that we did. What a god damn, rooting tooting, out of this world, incredible, adjective-consuming road. It is so open, so fast, and so flowing, a proper white-knuckle ride from start to finish. Twice we made the full trip from A to B, and then for good measure we returned to A-and-a-half for some snaps, looking down into the valley as the sun waved its final farewell below the horizon. By now the cars were absolutely filthy, but looked very purposeful sitting on top of the world, quietly clicking and ticking as abused brakes and exhausts were finally allowed to cool down.

15537157113_1d8d37015e_o.jpg

15970834329_8e1628fd96_o.jpg

What a fantastic way to spend a Sunday. You can keep your football matches, your hangovers, your onesies and your slippers, just give me an exciting car, some super unleaded, and some Welsh A-roads forever more, and I will be a very happy man indeed.

Happy New Year.

Rob

Stunning pictures and some nice cars.

Looks a real good run and you had some awesome weather (picture wise, not driving!)

As always, what a great write up and some awesome photographs. Just makes me want to go out for a blast! Wish my friends had cars like that!