Corner weighting - who's had it? & who would be interested?

A garage near me (Tech1) is trying to gauge the interest for corner weighting. The only 2 other places that do it near the south is Hook then Northampton so not near at all!

So my question is, who's had it done on their clio and how did it feel after? and who would be interested?

I've been keen to tighten up handling for a while now, looking at the UR braces, but haven't yet taken the plunge. If the cost vs improvement is right, and given Bournemouth is right on my doorstep, I'd be interested.

Yeah I'm not sure on braces for the clio, sounds a bit like snake oil to me.
Cheers I'll let him know, and I'll ask when I go there later how much the rough cost would be :smile:.

Raptor I thought when they weighted corners they took account of the driver also? Could be wrong though, I know nothing about it lol.

Yes, but I wanted 2 values - just the car and with me in it.

Wanted to know the real weight of a car without me.

And when it came to fine tuning the V3's - I was sitting in the drivers seat and they took that values.

I don't see the point unless it's a race car, and then at club level motorsport the best most cars get are 4 bathroom scales. Proper corner weighting isn't common until you get to national level professional motorsport like btcc or British rally championship.
My dad won the class c 750 motor club championship last year and his car has never been done.

I wouldn't fit coilovers without corner weighting - the whole point of coilovers is in the setup!!!! - otherwise you might aswell get standard replacement items because coilovers don't functionally do anything different. But then most people only buy **** though because it's fashionable, in which case just deck it on springs if you're not going to set it up correctly :001_rolleyes:

I definitely would get them done if he ends up buying this new gear. I've gone for the full v3's and top mounts Paul has done his best to set them up so far with 2 degrees, bump and rebound (which feels spot on) but the weighting would finish my setup nicely :smile:.

I definitely would get them done if he ends up buying this new gear. I've gone for the full v3's and top mounts Paul has done his best to set them up so far with 2 degrees, bump and rebound (which feels spot on) but the weighting would finish my setup nicely :smile:.

Nice, needs to be done if it were me and I had coils.

Down at Tech1 this coming Sat AM, just getting oil changed and the sandwich plate installed - I really can't be fadged! Even jacking the car up is too much effort for me nowadays!
It should have been done on Friday just gone when he did my brakes but I left the damn oil filter at home!

Nice, needs to be done if it were me and I had coils.

Down at Tech1 this coming Sat AM, just getting oil changed and the sandwich plate installed - I really can't be fadged! Even jacking the car up is too much effort for me nowadays!
It should have been done on Friday just gone when he did my brakes but I left the damn oil filter at home!

For sure!
You need some motivation mate haha, you should of given me a shout I would of popped to reno for you to get a filter never mind lol.
Saw the pics of your new brake set up looks seriously nice.

Yes lacking in motivation for sure! Brakes look sick indeed, but they are making a strange noise, it might just be the j-hook's though - I'll get Paul to look on Sat.

I've got drilled and grooved discs, sounds like a jet engine spooling down when you hit the anchors at 70+ and they grind n squeel sometimes too, totally normal :smile:.

I don't see the point unless it's a race car, and then at club level motorsport the best most cars get are 4 bathroom scales. Proper corner weighting isn't common until you get to national level professional motorsport like btcc or British rally championship.
My dad won the class c 750 motor club championship last year and his car has never been done.

This, this and this again. Have I mentioned this?

Corner weighting is only for race cars where they want to squeeze every single tenth out of them...out of a racing car. There is no way you can tell before and after on a road car, the difference is absolute minute. Think about it, everytime you put luggage in the car for a trip, or fill up the tank or you have a passenger or you have shopping or even when you put your 10kgs jack at the back when going for a roadtrip you upset your corner weighting. And no, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Setting up the coilovers in terms of camber/toe/rebound/compression etc is very crucial and if done properly the difference is massive. However, corner weighting on road cars is not only an overkill but a waste of money. I'm obsessed with handling and I made my research prior to making all the upgrades I've done so far. Mark fish told me from day one not to bother even though he could have easily parted me with my hard earned. I then asked people in the racing and modifying scene (especially in the Lotus arena) and they all came with the same answer. Do not bother, waste of money. I never did...

Last edited:
This, this and this again. Have I mentioned this?

Corner weighting is only for race cars where they want to squeeze every single tenth out of them...out of a racing car. There is no way you can tell before and after on a road car, the difference is absolute minute. Think about it, everytime you put luggage in the car for a trip, or fill up the tank or you have a passenger or you have shopping or even when you put your 10kgs jack at the back when going for a roadtrip you upset your corner weighting. And no, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Setting up the coilovers in terms of camber/toe/rebound/compression etc is very crucial and if done properly the difference is massive. However, corner weighting on road cars is not only an overkill but a waste of money. I'm obsessed with handling and I made my research prior to making all the upgrades I've done so far. Mark fish told me from day one not to bother even though he could have easily parted me with my hard earned. I then asked people in the racing and modifying scene (especially in the Lotus arena) and they all came with the same answer. Do not bother, waste of money. I never did...

I'd turn that around and say well you spent £2000 on AST coilovers and then neglected to just spend a couple of hours labour to get them spot on, seems a bit fool hardy to me. It's also a 1-off cost as once the spring platforms are locked off, it's not like it's an ongoing thing thats needs doing every tracking change etc. That would only need re-doing if you made drastic weight distribution changes to your car.