Coolant temp. Where should the needle be?

Today was -21celsius which is normal here in this time of year. My OBD-reader coolant temp would not raise over 75celsius.
I think it is bit low. Would Clio 182 thermostat help, and what is tempeature of the coolant after that?

Because we have real winter that would be nice if car engine runs hot enough, simply to provide enough warm air to cabin.
Naturally i have engine block pre-heating and interior pre-heaters.

See my previous post on this, 75 is normal, study the OBD and you can see the temp rise instantly from start up, until the stat opens then it falls back to 70. Climate makes the cabin warmer than cars with poverty heating. The OBD reading is possibly a combination of the water and oil temp for the fuel trim.

Last edited:
As Womble says, the thermostat opens around 75°C and brings the temperature back down. The water temperature gauge on the dash is highly non-linear with its readings, and only starts coming up to the second line at around 60°C and reaches the third at around 82°C.

Below is a plot from my car on the drive to work (ambient temperature of 3°C and the car was sat running for 3 mins warming up before I started logging), with water temperature on the top graph, and vehicle speed on the bottom graph. Both are plotted against time. You can see the water temperature rising until the thermostat opens which brings it down very quickly, and then the rest is obvious to see.

197_Coolant_Temp_Graph.jpg

Attachments

• 197_Coolant_Temp_Graph.jpg
    197_Coolant_Temp_Graph.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 29