Coolant temp. Where should the needle be?

Hi there. Just a query as I think the needle on the coolant temp gauge reads a little low. Thermostat problem maybe?

When driving normally the needle is here.

Where on average should the needle be when up to optimum operating temp?

DSC_0039_zpse6740b94.jpg

That's bang on mate, common query as people are used to them being in the middle. Give it some stick an it will go up but what you have there is standard :smile:

Mine sits slightly below where yours is there.

I did wonder because most videos I watch of these cars the needle is on the third line.

Ahh well my other car is a Clio 172 Cup and the needle sits half way up ish. That's the reason I queried it :smile:

So its safe to say its fine where it is? I was going to do a full coolant flush/change and new thermostat anyway but was unsure if I had a problem.

Mine sits in pretty much that exact place. In traffic though it'll go up to the 3rd line.

You can read correct coolant tempeature from OBD with obd reader. My clio coolant temp is approx 75c when driving normally. It is pretty low, normal for example BMW is 90-95c.
Some say it is designed by that way to allow that you drive like you stole it..
I have saw also in my 197 that when i start it after pre-heating with block heater and drive little then it is in the half way meter but after while drops in the 3rd line as in the picture.

Looks about the same as mine. Small bit higher if I ever have to sit in traffic which is rare.

That's where mine sit's as well mate...until of course I give it some beans and then hit traffic then it decides to overheat :S

Mine warms up much quicker with a 182 thermostat in... Worth it for the sake of £20 considering how cold this country is all year round.

How easy is it to access the thermostat? Not really looked for it yet but if its easy I might switch mine to a 182 stat too

My two peneth, I had a Clio 200 cup with aircon and it was a cold car to warm up, changed the stat for a new one made no difference. I now have a FF 200 with climate and it is warmer in the cabin as it uses the blowers etc. I checked both cars with OBD readers and they both warm up exactly the same over the same distance, just the Climate seems to help the cabin temperature.

Our cars have been mapped to work on the factory stat, if you change the stat to a higher temp the ECU will alter and reduce the power by retarding the ignition to cope with high temps and stop detonation. This is how it works so raising coolant temps robs performance. Now I know the onboard temps read 82 ish on OBD my Focus RS read 112, but the actual coolant temp was around 90 taking a proper reading off the thermostat housing. Has anybody actually tried recording actual water temps manually to see what actual water temps are and not what are being fed to the OBD port? It maybe everything is correct just the heater system is poor.