Cold gearbox woes

It has been happening for a while now but it's getting worse. The box struggles for 1/2/3 when just starting, sometimes take over 30secs to find a gear.

The dealer adjusted the linkage but the problem came back 1 week later. Looking to change to box oil to see if it helps. Any other recommendations?

Is it a case of waiting for it to fail then? It has 14k on the clock and 4 trackdays. The gearchange also feels abit notchy when warm which didn't used to happen.

Is it a case of waiting for it to fail then? It has 14k on the clock and 4 trackdays. The gearchange also feels abit notchy when warm which didn't used to happen.

take it to renault and see what they say, but ia m gussing they wont do anything if it hasnt failed yet

Nah, they all do it. Read somewhere about the clutch slave cylinder needs warming up, hense it gets better when used after a few mins. Just a crap design when cold.

Mine does the same. :huh:

I can't put in gear when gearbox is cold. I have to push it realy hard or put first in 5th gear or 6th gear and then into 1st gear. After a while when gearbox is warmer it goes in 1/2/3rd gear without a problem.
But this doesen't do always. I noticied just a few times now when the temperatures are colder.

Do you think that if i change the gearbox oil would be better?

If it's still under warranty drop the oil, drive it til it blows up and then refill. One free gearbox courtesy of them robbing ******* dealers :wink:

They'd probably notice it knowing my luck. However I probably won't need to fill it up and they won't notice. haha

It will get better with Castrol TAF-X 75W90 gear oil, but the problem won't go away.

I have the feeling it's one of the RenFault design flaws. :wink:

Haven't managed to do anything yet or I didn't want to work on the car in cold weather. haha

I have noticed this only happens at around 6C to 11C. At really cold temp it's perfectly fine, dare I say even better than when warm.

It will get better with Castrol TAF-X 75W90 gear oil, but the problem won't go away.

I have the feeling it's one of the RenFault design flaws. :wink:

@Rene. This two brothers in Zagreb, who made a port matching on your car said, that could be main problem in clutch or ( I don't know how to translate), "potisni plošči"... and that the two of them recommend changing the clutch set. It's a common mistake on a clio 197/200. But I think that for starters, I'll change only oil.

@Rene. This two brothers in Zagreb, who made a port matching on your car said, that could be main problem in clutch or ( I don't know how to translate), "potisni plošči"... and that the two of them recommend changing the clutch set. It's a common mistake on a clio 197/200. But I think that for starters, I'll change only oil.

It would be my 3rd clutch in 60kkm then. :smiley:

But I agree, it could be the problem. I'm keen on believing that it's the slave cylinder.

It's not such a problem in my car, when really cold, I just need to put it first in 2nd gear and then it goes into 1st like a charm.

Could also be syncro issue more so when oil is cold, if you can get it into 2nd then it's smooth going into 1st.
Next time you have trouble getting it into 1st try releasing clutch then depressing + when clutch is released rev engine to spin up shafts then engage clutch and shift and see if that works.

Use to have a dog tooth box on one of my previous cars although still used a single syncro on 1st gear and when that was cold had to do the above to get it into gear

For what it costs worth trying gearbox oil change as can make a difference and you can inspect oil for metal particles as that'll be sure sign syncro/gears have worn and a lot cheaper than removing box and stripping that down

Nah, they all do it. Read somewhere about the clutch slave cylinder needs warming up, hense it gets better when used after a few mins. Just a crap design when cold.

This ties in with what ive been reading as well.

Changing the oil is just a placebo really. If your having problem selecting gears then id say its the hydraulic clutch's slave cylinder, crunching on down-shifts etc will the syncromesh.

If the slave cylinder was at fault then surely it would affect all gears but it's goes into 2nd ok when cold, although all issues I've had with clutch cylinders in the past is that it caused either judder or not engaging the clutch at all.

Also crunching usually only occurs when it is badly damaged and missing teeth but it can be worn and still work just not as effectively and I'd need to look up what the 197/200 has but you can have more than 1 syncro per gear, my scooby had 3 on 1,2 and then 2 synchros on 3,4,5, 1 on reverse & 6 gear

I'll have search through manual see what trouble shooting section has on it if anything

Last edited: