Cold gearbox woes

Thanks for raining on that parade Surrey-Paul.

So if its not the syncromesh, and its not the slave cylinder. What other than "its French" is the reason for the **** gearbox issues we have?

I had look through the manual and under troubleshooting it lists the usual for the slave cylinder although they describe the judder as creep because if you took your foot off the break (hand brake off) then when clutch depressed the car still moves or creeps along.

They also list when the slave is faulty the clutch pedal doesn't return to normal resting position, but nothing about trouble engaging a single gear, it affects all gear selection.

As for listing the gearbox configuration they show all the possible gearsets but no mention of synchro's as it would have been good to see how it is setup as what gears are on what selector shafts etc, but just a table with ratios.

So only real way is try things out which is pretty much what the manual 's troubleshooting flow charts tell you do and cheapest being is fluid change both hydraulic and gearbox oil.

Last edited:
im sure i read somewhere there, that the hydraulic part of the clutch takes its oil off the brake resevoir, is that full?

im sure i read somewhere there, that the hydraulic part of the clutch takes its oil off the brake resevoir, is that full?

According to the manual it is,

it also states when clutch pressure plate is changed that the slave cylinder is also replaced and has a section in troubleshooting when customer overfills brake cylinder and the parts that need replacing both on brakes and gearbox.

Again something that may affect clutch operation is if the brake fluid is different spec. e.g. performance fluid with higher boiling point this may affect the clutch slave cylinder in that when it's cooler it doesn't give the same hydraulic pressure as the OEM spec. stuff but I would see that as being a problem of not being able to engage any gear not just 1st, but without seeing what gears share what selector shafts and where they are could be an issue as it may require less force to engage 2nd than it does to engage 1st.

TL4 is also joint with Nissan, and they seem to have as many 6 speed gearbox woes as seen with Renault

If the problem was with the clutch slave cylinder surely renault would be changing these instead of the gearboxes?

I can agree with the above paul, maybe. if the brake fluid has been changed to say dot5.1 and then not so suitable for the clutch system.

The other thing, people saying it will go in second but not first when cold, i bet you'll find it will go in fourth but not third if thats the case, not sure on sixth/fifth as i dont know these gearboxes but that'll be because the second and fourth gears are on the same shaft/rail and it'll be the syncros on first and third (same shaft/rail) that are going.

Just my thoughts :smile:

Were is the reservoir on these cars?

Would look better with two little AP bottles in there, one for brakes one for clutch.

Also just tried something out as needed to go down to shops, instead of my usual with releasing clutch and rev. to get into 1st, I pushed and held the brake pedal down and it seemed to have the same effect as it then went into 1st smoothly.

So perhaps it is a fluid pressure thing, think I might do a fluid a change and bleed system got nothing to lose on that as it looks like it's never been done by previous owner.

Could some one who has this 1st gear problem try this out.

Usually I reverse onto my drive so the last gear I've been in is reverse, well today after getting back from the shops I drove on and about hour later remember I wanted to see when it wouldn't go in 1st after starting up did it have trouble engaging other gears, but It went straight in.

So I just reversed car a few feet then did what i normally do and go to neutral and leave car parked and just went to try it now and it wouldn't go into 1st again but did go into all other gears. So I've just reversed and before leaving in neutral went back into 2nd so effectively having it in a forward gear.

May be coincidence but I can think of a few things that can then be going on to cause the 1st gear engaging problem and would be good if someone could try that out

Got in this morning and again straight into 1st, so from now on I'm going to always put it in forward gear after I reverse and park up. I suspect I may possibly have worn bushes on the gear linkage somewhere or the way gear layout is with reverse it makes shifting into 1st (after it's been in reverse and left neutral) when cold a pita. But if synchro/clutch slave was faulty then I would say even after doing this I'd still have the problem

But if it does return then going to start looking further, although brake/clutch fluid change will still be on the cards, sometime this year so I'll then see if that does change anything with shifting afterwards.

Last edited:
+1 Paul, Tried your theory out last night. Hell of a lot easier to stick her in 1st. Brakes are still sticking though. Changing pads weekend, unlikely to have an affect though.

+1 Paul, Tried your theory out last night. Hell of a lot easier to stick her in 1st. Brakes are still sticking though. Changing pads weekend, unlikely to have an affect though.

Good to hear as been working for me as well now, just been out now and again after reversing into parking spot went forward & it was in, although not as smooth as earlier, but when it doesn't it is like shifting without the clutch

How many miles you got on the clock?

Mines just gone over 39000, but having not owned it from new very difficult to then know how gearbox felt when it was new and prob. has had some bad shifting/abuse by previous owner.

51000 bud, Had it from 46000. My gear box in it's self feels smooth, does crunch when going from 2/4/6 if higher rev's though, Which could be the syncro's I guess. Car was previously owned by an "older" gent who moved to Dubai, should see how much was spent on each service, replacing everything even when not needing it.. My guess is he looked after it, but only he really knows that.

yeah sounds fine, as syncro's only help with the gears meshing at higher rpm's can still be a bit out, straight cut (dog tooth) is the way to go but for everyday driving bloody nightmare same goes for triple plate clutches great if your on the track but no good crawling in traffic.

My problem is back again. Temp of 8/9C and can't select any gears.

A quick vid to show you.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTpfS8SA8l0[/YOUTUBE]

Does it change gear with engine off

What about the linkage, there's 2 gear control cables might worth checking that their moving correctly, but it is odd that it comes and goes as would expect if it's problem with linkage then it will always be a problem.