coilover choice/advice

I’d probably buy KW :grimacing: :tearsofjoy:

At the very least I’d maybe drop 100lb off the front and rear to get a bit more compliance on the road.

It’s always a compromise. You either get something mint for the road or mint for track. There’s no inbetween in my opinion.

Yeah that's fair enough, i'll stick with 600/350 then as if its harsh on the road I won't use it much. Which means ill use my road car more, method in my madness.

Reactions: RSRowe
I had 550f 300r and it drove nicely on the road and was better than standard suspension on track.
I then changed to 625f 350r and it became tolerable on the road so I could still drive to track but very good on track. There’s no happy medium imo. I’d sway towards 625 f 350r

I also run gaz golds and really like them. Hard for the road mind, I drive to the tracks in the car.
I do have a slightly strange setup as I am in a road going sprint series. Makes my car a bit heavier so I am 700 front and I run the heavier yellow speed rear spring as I'm not allowed to change the spring locations :worried: They specced a 450 rear spring to match my front 700 springs, but they are just in my shed atm.

If I could get a heavier rear spring I would, I would like to try a lighter front spring and heavier rear spring as the rear isn't playful enough for me. The cup racers seem to run the springs completely opposite to what guys put on the road cars. Rears are roughly twice the front (cant remember exact figures), but bare in mind their roll center is corrected which means you don't need the heavier front springs to stop roll and they have a heavier roll bar

Thanks for the info guys. I spoke to Larkspeed this morning and requested 600 front, 350 rear. 6-8 weeks is the build time so I will get a couple of track days in with the stock cup suspension first. Starting with cadwell this sunday. :thumb:

Isn’t that because they don’t run a true coilover set up?
Do you think a true rear coilover would make the rear of my car more lively?

i’m not really sure what the difference is other than the “lever” on the spring is a bit different. Although I think the heavier yellowspeed rear spring works out somewhere between 400-450lbs, which a bit heavier than most run with gaz so should maybe make up for having more “lever” on the spring (i think, i am definitely no expert on this)

Do you think a true rear coilover would make the rear of my car more lively?

i’m not really sure what the difference is other than the “lever” on the spring is a bit different. Although I think the heavier yellowspeed rear spring works out somewhere between 400-450lbs, which a bit heavier than most run with gaz so should maybe make up for having more “lever” on the spring (i think, i am definitely no expert on this)

When you run an inboard spring, it needs to be stiffer than the equivalent outboard spring, so for example I am converting my E36 to true rears and I went from 11kg rear springs inboard to 9kg outboard.

So your inboard 7kg spring (400lb) would be like an equivalent of maybe an outbound 5kg (so what's that a 280lb spring-ish)?

Reactions: av4625 and Big Ben
When you run an inboard spring, it needs to be stiffer than the equivalent outboard spring, so for example I am converting my E36 to true rears and I went from 11kg rear springs inboard to 9kg outboard.

So your inboard 7kg spring (400lb) would be like an equivalent of maybe an outbound 5kg (so what's that a 280lb spring-ish)?
Is there any brand of spring I could get that would fit that would be heavier or am I stuck with the likes of yellow speed and kw etc

I am running 400/300 and am very happy with it, very close to equivalent of the KW Clubsport in terms of spring rates.

Reactions: adamgas85
I am running 400/300 and am very happy with it, very close to equivalent of the KW Clubsport in terms of spring rates.

I've got the clubsports, and while we have smooth roads here, it can be quite firm and bouncy for daily use. Thank god its no longer my daily car.

Coilovers have arrived, what damper settings are ppl running with this setup. Just to give me a starting point. Otherwise I’ll just start on the middle and adjust accordingly when next at the track in relation to how the car behaves etc.

If we call setting 1 the softest. How many click’s clockwise……. Front and rear

cheers

I am not sure what mine are set to at the minute. I had it geo set up but the ride seems pretty stiff but quite compliant. I need to get under the car and count the clicks so I know what a good base setting is.

Reactions: adamgas85