Clio RS197 MM (My Muse or Montenegrin Muse as you like)

Hi all!
After my first post at new members section, I'v bought MM one and a half years ago, having 147000km at odometer. The initial plan was first to change or service everything and anything which has to be serviced at given range, and looked suspecious to me. :smile: Then I've planned to add some styling bits to finalize exterior look, repair some damaged seat and add proper sound system. And as the third phase - technical augmentation of car, but (which I personally consider the only proper way of tuning - without losing such lovely balance between power and handling). I would not bother you with details of first phase, just regular servicing, ordering parts, bits and etc. As for the second part - I have switched original headlights and tail lights for custom ones from Dectane, add original CUP spoiler, install new front bumber and some metal bars behind it (originals were damaged due to accident with previous owners, and bumber and bar was jus restored and glued), retrimmed front and rear seats (had nasty "scars" at drivers seat due to overuse of jeans by owner :smile: Also, I've changed audio head unit, and purchased Hertz components for audio system, and some small things and accessories.
The third phase has started by previous owner by installing de-cat miltek system and BNC air filter (the one in carbon box), I have resumed it with proper chip tuning (the one which was done was felt wrong somehow), installing sprint booster (if that could be called "tuning" at all). As for most of you, my plans were installing Schrick camshafts (by the way, I've found completely new set in Montenegro for only 200 EUR with ECU adjustment included), probably change from BNC to V6 airbox, bigger throttle body and etc.
By then, I've spend a lot of time reading through various topics, especially Force Induction modifications and swap to Megane engine threads and projects. The whole year I've been around this thing, as 0,1 bar of boost would bring more result then all the works which could be done with the head. But, as I've mentioned above, I don't want to ruin perfect balance of the car. All phrases like "this is how Clio originally should be", "it feels better then ever", as well as some of boosted car remained still every day car, convinced me, that my worries are pointless. And that where we are starting.
I'm foreigner, I'm citizen of Uzbekistan (former Soviet Union country, located in Central Asia region), living in Montenegro because I'm working here, so not all sources are easily available for me, and to mentioned - there are just a few of scrap yards or companies working with delivering of spare parts. Also, I don't know anyone reliable to make turbo conversion, so I've decided to go the easiest way - swap with Megane engine. As a result, I've tracked down set of engine at Poland, from Megane III RS 250 (VVT is goooood) with only 35000km on the clock with tempting price of 1500 EUR for engine block, turbo, manifold, injectors, fuel rail, clutch and and almost all hoses and fittings. Of course, buying engine virtually is quite a risk, but I've taken, and in result I have which appears to me engine in excellent condition. I will put some pictures below.
The plan is as the following - get all remaining items, install it, keep it in standard 250 bhp for a while, and continue to use it as everyday car. Although, I think 250 is more than enough, based on other threads, I assume it's just a matter of time, when I would want something bigger :smile:
Still, have some questions and uncertainties which part I can keep, which one I should replace, as soon as I will think I know the answer, I'll check with you, guys, to make sure I'm moving into the right way.
So, here we go.....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hi all,
Can I share some of my ideas, would that bother guys who already done conversion, to confirm whether I'm on the right track. That sounds extremely Noob, but please have mercy on my soul :smile:))

So, I will need in addition to almost bare engine I have:
1. ECU
2. Cable set (from ECU to all sensors and etc.)
3. Air intake system (of course custom one to fit properly)
4. Intercooler with in and out piping
5. Some missing sensors
6. Engine mounts (the set)
7. Downpipe and exhaust system, with some custom work on it
8. New clutch set from Clio III RS (as mine already went 170000km)
9. Some custom pipings to change mounting position of plastic tanks in engine bays
And?
It's just a rough list, of course each position contains more details, but to keep things short - is it all minimum I will need to start conversion?
Definitely I would need upgraded suspension (coilovers, duh), upgraded brakes, but that is to be later, currently I'm focused to make conversion with less expenses possible.

Thank's in advance

Hi, all!
I can't close the thread, so I've decised to finish it, as noone but me posted here. :smile:
Turbo converstion was done successfully, all answers were found out, all problems were solved, in result I have the following solution:
1 Engine F4Rt 874 with turbo, downpipe, inlet, injectors and etc.
2 New clutch set (standard for Clio 197)
3 Differencial Quaife for Clio197
4 Set of extra gauges Depo (Boost/AFR, Oil Temp/Oil Pressure, EGT)
5 Set of mountings Vibratecnic
6 Reinforced water pipes Forge
7 SC Auto electric custom intercooler and custom set of pipes (stainless steel) also from SC Auto Electric
8 Custom loom for motor based on standard Clio 197 loom
9 R26 ECU
10 Uppipe and downpipe 2,75" Miltek (to connect with existing de-cat Miltek exhaust)
11 And few small items, like sandwitch module for sensors, heat wrap, power cables for moving accumulator to the rear, and etc.

The gearbox remains standard Clio197 with shorter ratios. Currently, I'm having standard 230hp as per R26 ECU (or a bit more, as intake is bigger and "colder" :tongueout:, exhaust system is de-cat and bigger in sizes, as well as intercooler, compare to standard Megane setup) for testing purposes, car already went 1000km, everything works nice and smoothly in all possible levels. Next step would be remote chip tune to around 260+, hopefully via RS Tuner (Fastchip.nl).

A few pictures to conclude above mentioned.

clio250-1.jpg

clio250-3.jpg

clio250-8.jpg

clio250-4.jpg

clio250-9.jpg

clio250-11.jpg

clio250-13.jpg

clio250-15.jpg

clio250-20.jpg

img0002.jpg

imag0035.jpg

clio250-16.jpg

clio250-18.jpg

809a0e32f6b047af121f173d291da40e.jpg

Без имени-2.jpg

Very very nice car [MENTION=51614]EvoVI[/MENTION], as [MENTION=29138]Chris91[/MENTION] says the dials in the pod are really really nice too.

Thanks all for warm words. Words can't describe how good turbo clio feels. :smile: Yes, quickest indeed, and after chip tuning, probably would quickest renault sport product as well, as there are only stock or mildly tuned megane rs'. As for pod, probably, it's possible to do, if you are really interested. Best local tuners Garaza54 did most of the job (including pod), so I can hook you up.

As I'm currently having 230bhp (due to R26 stock mappings), I've done some rolling starts, just to have benchmarks to compare after chip tuning. Here they are, the road is wet (occasional rains the whole week long), so starts from stationary are as bad as it can be (around 6,0-6.2 sec).

930eab7e897d5a2d32dd19739a68d8d7.jpg

Clio with F4Rt 874 Engine (230bhp) rolling start …:
[video=youtube_share;MsxeRGZW690]http://youtu.be/MsxeRGZW690[/video]

[video=youtube_share;H3oERfTPIeA]http://youtu.be/H3oERfTPIeA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;_sI-NS_xCLA]http://youtu.be/_sI-NS_xCLA[/video]

Clio with F4Rt 874 Engine (230bhp) start from 0 (…:
[video=youtube_share;_jnO009MkpA]http://youtu.be/_jnO009MkpA[/video]

By the way, we have RS Tuner module here supplied by Fastchip.nl for one of local Clio197, the guy is willing to give it to me for free. I've tried to get in touch with Henk, does anyone know his telephone number? I've tried to send e-mail, but no reply till today. Hope someone can share his contacts, or point me where I can find them....

Last edited: