Clio 200 v's the world

Had the Clio for a couple of weeks now and started to get into the groove with it, but coming to this from turbo's cars has taken a little mind shift.
The last "hot hatch" I had before this was a Seat Leon Cupra R with around 270bhp and a bucket load of torque.
Streetline suspension uprated ARB's and full turbo back Milltek
So now having only 200bhp (less in reality) and down on torque by quite a bit it was never going to win in a straight line drag race.
But if you take this by the scruff of its neck and drive it as you would ride a sport bike it's brilliant,
At no point did it feel underpowered or wanting for more power keep it singing above the 4k mark and I can honestly say I haven't had this much fun since my 1989 16v GTI back in the 90's. Ok thats a lie my Smart roadster is a complete hoot to buzz around in.
And on the roads around here I'm glad it doesn't have the cup chassis it would be all over the road with the crests dips and holes thar Devon And Cornwall council call highways.
Drawbacks?? Nothing that is with mentioning the "flatspot" that I read about must only show up on a dyno or round town as driving it out on the open road it's not noticeable.
In all i'm over the moon with it and soon as I'm able it'll be out on track to see if i miss the cup chassis there

Yes it took me some time to get into the 200, had it for 3 months now
Previous was a MR2 1.8. you had to rev it but it had no weight and was a laugh.
Mid engine rear wheel drive was a big change
Previous to that was a Fiat 16v Turbo in 1995 until 2001.
That had the same 200 bhp but turbo and more torue.
But their was a lot of tubo lag, but then it really went. 19mpg showed that.
The clio is a car that need the revs, it does have a nice powerband.
Sometimes i do get a bit of a flatspot must depend on how much i am pressing the accelerator, hard down its ok.

I had a Cupra before my 197.....the Leon was a cracking car, but comparing it to the clio, it looses hands down! I think the clio ran circles around my Cupra! So much more fun and it loves to be driven hard..... As Deaks will agree :wink:

Whist the trophy is soooooo better in many, many ways, every time I get back in the 200 I get way more smiles per mile.

There is a way to solve the flatspot issue. There is a thread about it in the general section.
I'm not having any issues with it not sure it's there tbh
This is so much fun to drive just like the roadster not too much power so you have to work for the rewards.
In the Cupra R and other turbo cars I've had the power was so easy to get to if you fluffed a gear change or were in the wrong gear or were a bit messy exiting a corner you had plenty of power to make up for it.
In this you need to be smooth and flowing think about what you're doing make sure you're in the right gear to keep it spinning it is very much like riding a 600cc sport bike really fast and handles superbly but to keep with the 1000's you have to work it.
I've got a GSXR 1000 and a Tuono R both are 1000cc road rockets I've also got a 1987 GSXR 750 SLABSIDE its a bit wobbly the brakes are terrible and isn't any where near as fast but for fun it's hard to beat because you have to be on it to get anything out of it.
My 200 is exactly the same FUN

Probably right
They are making it difficult now with the test and size/bhp restrictions.
Insurance is ok for me, but i am not covered to carry a passenger, thats mad.

I shall get a 1000 just to spite the *******s.

Thats also why i got the clio 200, because in a few years time all hot hatches will be little 1.4 turbos that do 50mpg

Had the Clio for a couple of weeks now and started to get into the groove with it, but coming to this from turbo's cars has taken a little mind shift.
The last "hot hatch" I had before this was a Seat Leon Cupra R with around 270bhp and a bucket load of torque.
Streetline suspension uprated ARB's and full turbo back Milltek
So now having only 200bhp (less in reality) and down on torque by quite a bit it was never going to win in a straight line drag race.
But if you take this by the scruff of its neck and drive it as you would ride a sport bike it's brilliant,
At no point did it feel underpowered or wanting for more power keep it singing above the 4k mark and I can honestly say I haven't had this much fun since my 1989 16v GTI back in the 90's. Ok thats a lie my Smart roadster is a complete hoot to buzz around in.
And on the roads around here I'm glad it doesn't have the cup chassis it would be all over the road with the crests dips and holes thar Devon And Cornwall council call highways.
Drawbacks?? Nothing that is with mentioning the "flatspot" that I read about must only show up on a dyno or round town as driving it out on the open road it's not noticeable.
In all i'm over the moon with it and soon as I'm able it'll be out on track to see if i miss the cup chassis there

This is a good review mate glad you are enjoying it and sounds like you are using it right:thumbsup:

Had a similar situation, sold mk5 GTI DSG with 245HP and bought 200 on the same day.
I was shocked on the first but got used to less HP and much more EVO factor!
Wouldn't change Clio for a GTI now..no way!