clio 200 or Mitsubishi evo X

Hi guys, first post here!
I've been working and saving for the last couple of years, still living with the parents 25 yrs old... I know, a bit old:redface: but all this info is relevant to my comparison.
I have enough money saved to buy the Clio with a comfortable 6 month loan without being totaly broke afterwards. This short loan is good for me because sometime in late 2010 i'm gonna get an appartment with my girlfriend and things would be much easier without car payments:tongueout:
And then there's the EVO X I'm pretty shure i could get by with the car payments and the apartment if i go with this car despite the high running costs. The only variable I'm hoping one of you guys could help me out with is insurance, how much of a difference should I expect?
I'm Really a fan of the clio But My brother in law is selling me his evo X at a really good price not much more than a brand new Clio 200...
Decisions decisions...

...I suspect the Evo insurance will be very scary for a 25 year old! At least, the cost of insuring a Clio 200 will be very high.....but if you can afford it go for the Evo!!

...I suspect the Evo insurance will be very scary for a 25 year old! At least, the cost of insuring a Clio 200 will be very high.....but if you can afford it go for the Evo!!

Im £800 for the year at 20 :tongueout: Just gotta look in the correct places.

But as for the car.. Evo X if your getting a kick ass deal and you can afford to run it and don't mind spending some cash on earlier services and tyres and running costs while owning a home.

But i would personally have the thrills of the 200 and less power and have that extra cash to rely on when owning a home that would be spent on more tyres etc on the evo X.

tough one really, but at your age and the situation you could be in in the future with you buying an apartment,

then i would go with the safe bet and go for the clio. :thumbup1:

Im £800 for the year at 20 :tongueout: Just gotta look in the correct places.

But as for the car.. Evo X if your getting a kick ass deal and you can afford to run it and don't mind spending some cash on earlier services and tyres and running costs while owning a home.

But i would personally have the thrills of the 200 and less power and have that extra cash to rely on when owning a home that would be spent on more tyres etc on the evo X.

£240 at 39 years!.....Clio 200 is not too bad at all for general running costs....Evo X has more frequent and expensive service requirements....as for tyres...potentially 4 (or more) every 12 months at £150 each makes it a bit pricy...I have always been tempted by an Evo or even a high spec scoob, but the running costs would make me sweat a bit!

If you put your sensible head on get the rs Clio.but if you like supercar performance and can afford the running cost get the evolution mate. Amazing cars.

I would go for the Evo X if you can afford it!:thumbup1:

Same here :thumbup1: a friend drove me in his Evo IX (390bhp iirc) 2 weeks ago on Grobnik :001_tt1::drool: but the costs of running it even if nothing brakes were like a cold shower for me :mellow:

i've a mate with a evo x serviced every 5k and single figure mpg frightning running costs.
but i'm sure your aware of that. which model is it ?
but he's not short of a bob or two he's upgrading to a new skyline GTR.

look at the miles your doing how much a set of pads and discs will cost new exhaust etc and 400 pound road tax on top and weigh it up.
i had a 911 carrera for 3 years superb car but cost a mint to run, given the choice i would do it again but just remember it's not just about buying the car.
best of luck mate

The clio for me especially with you buying a house soon aswell.

Like minimax said it's one thing buying the car and another running it.

When we had our E39 M5 it was £7k a year fuel, £1k for four tyres, minimum £500 for its annual service. I think thats a fair comparison to the EVO with regards to fuel consumption and tyre wear rate.

What bhp is it ? Is it the auto or manual?

Last edited:
go in between.... evo 8 or 9! and the money u save on the evo x can go on the running costs for it. and u get amazing performance, i meen u can get an evo8 fq-320 for £12-13k, low mileage too!! good comprimise if u ask me

Hi mate

two of my cousins have had several evo's, one of them currently has 2! They have just both bought Evo X's, They love em. (some people might have seen one of their old evo's during the evo triangle meet). I have driven a few too thanks to them.

Performance wise obviously the Evo X is supercar like acceleration. I know the service is every 4500-5000 miles but you don't have a proper service unitil 10k. The 4500/5000 mile service is basically just diff oil.
But they are very expensive to run, VERY expensive. Both my cousins run them as a second car and do less than 6000 miles a year. Using them properly everyday is a massive expense. Tyres and brakes and various oil need changing often. If you can afford it go for it there brilliant.

The clio however is a great lil car and almost matches the evo for fun factor on the right roads (this was proven during the evo triangle meet). Remember its often how a car makes you feel rather than outright speed that makes it good/enjoyable. The costs are much more reasonable too.

Im 26 and living at home with parents too so I know how you feel. If I was you i'd buy the clio and have your fun. This will allow you to save the ££££'s that you would spend running an evo, and help you to save up and/or pay your bills in your future new apartment when you move out with your girlfriend.

Alternatively if you fancy buying a rare blue Tommi Makk Evo which is mint, which will be much cheaper to buy than a Evo X, and keep its value being a rare and sought after evo give me a pm and I will put you in contact with my cousin, on lancerregister.co.uk.

If you want toknow more about EVO's go on lancer register its agreat evo site with anal amounts of knowledge and its very active.

Hope this helps

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys!
It's a 300hp GSR
Some of you really hit the nail on the head, I'm really concerned about the frequent services and overal high running costs of the evo not even getting into insurance premiums...
I'm a sensible guy and I'm kinda leaning towards the 200 finances being the deciding factor.
I'm more about the overall driving experience, not just the big hp figures and acceleration, my brother in laws evo seems to have a very notchy gearbox I've driven it, and a couple of times certain gears just refuse to engage :confused1:
that just convinced me that i'm making the right decision!
Plus the Idea of finaly getting a brand new car has a certain charm!
Once again thanks for all the good honest info!
I'll let you know what the final decision is in a couple of weeks time!

Clio 200 for me, if you say you are concerned about the running costs now, just wait until the bills actually start coming in for the Evo (and they will be regular).

You dont say if you have taken a Clio out for a test drive yet but I would definately recommend it! If you can pay it off in 6 months then thats a bonus - means you can save for deposit on a house/apartment.

Insurance - I know I looked into it before getting the clio and it was about twice as much for the evo (but i am young & 'foolish'), its always going to be a noticable amount more than a clio though, so its just if you can afford it and if it will be worth it!

If you are after a middle ground.... Megane 250!

I test drove an EVO X 360.

I know obviously the power is in a complete different level,
But I was actually quite shocked at how much softer the evo's suspension was compared to my clios cup pack