Clio 200 GUTLESS!!

getting sick and tired of this car now! whenever im enjoying it, it decides to mess up!!!
angry.gif

has anyone else had a sudden power loss? and a whistle sort of sound at about 5-6000 revs? the car feels gutless till about 5000 revs then the power kicks in,best way to describe this is like the honda V-tec system!! once the power kicks in i am then greeted with a whistle sort of noise and a really loud induction roar,

car is booked in for tomorrow, and i have already informed Renault UK due to the history already attached with this car!

Any ideas?

The car does have a variable cam timing system which kicks in around 5000-5500 rpm. Vtec is a version of the same system, all manufacturers call it something different. This is accompanied by a louder induction roar and a surge in power.

The car does have a variable cam timing system which kicks in around 5000-5500 rpm. Vtec is a version of the same system, all manufacturers call it something different. This is accompanied by a louder induction roar and a surge in power.
i understand how the Renault system works, its just randomly felt gutless since coming back from FCS on the weekend

Its not that at all. The vvt is on from about 1500 rpm. Vtec is completely different! This is mapping on the clios, nothing more. Its just a gimmick and for emissions reasons. This is why when mapped you loose the kick.

Pretty sure tht vvt )variable valve timing ) ajusts the timimg slightly buy opening the valves more or longer by use of the dephaser pulley

If I'm correct then isn't there a second air intake that opens at around this time? If the normal one is blocked then this could explain why it's gutless low down?

Its not that at all. The vvt is on from about 1500 rpm. Vtec is completely different! This is mapping on the clios, nothing more. Its just a gimmick and for emissions reasons. This is why when mapped you loose the kick.

It's exactley that!
It is the same as Vtec, just activated in a different way.
At 5000 Rpm, the dephaser pulley turns the whole inlet cam a few degrees allowing the valves to remain open longer.
It makes more power above 5K rpm hence the kick.

Is engine light on by the way id be looking towards maf or lamda , i had a 172 tht had broke the internals of the cat away and everytym i put my foot dwn the honeycomb jumped into the pipe and blocked it and made the car flat as anything

I'm so glad this has been bought up... I waited nearly 3 years for the VVT to kick in, got fed up and bought a meg engine

Deffo a kick that' u get in the VVT-Li engine in the 111R. You can feel it bigtime. So you can get a kick but that is in an engine that moves the cam onto a different profile at 6250 instead of just retiming the cam/valves

the 182 have a vvt system set up that does give a more pronounced kick at say 5000-5500rpm bit like on or off...

the 197/200 has the vvt continuously variable - and isn't just used for higher up power its also used to give some "internal egr" for lower emission
standards

the engine fault could be the result of a faulty cam sensor - might be worth having the ecu checked for faults etc

Renault vvt alters valve "overlap" but not lift

Honda vtec does valve overlap and lift

Interesting post Fox,
myself and my passengers have all noticed my car will pull harder from 5k Rpm
Its not a 'kick' as such, not like Vtec or Toyotas VVti, but enough to lift the nose of the car a little more.
I like it anyway :wink:

Interesting post Fox,
myself and my passengers have all noticed my car will pull harder from 5k Rpm
Its not a 'kick' as such, not like Vtec or Toyotas VVti, but enough to lift the nose of the car a little more.
I like it anyway :wink:

yeh they do pull harder and you can see the torque curve rise at that point...182 do it more as they sort of just go over to the increased overlap
whereas the 197/200 has a few other tricks up its ecu :book: