Clio 200 buying options (and hello!)

Good morning everyone,

I have been hanging around for a little while a finally decided to sign up. The reason I have tried to stop myself from signing up is because my final year exams at University start in two weeks and I didn't want to get obsessed!!

When my exams finish on 26th May I move up to Aberdeen to start a job with an oil company on the next Monday. So, from the student world of having no money, I'm going to be earning a reasonable salary.

Last week I stupidly went and test drove one and loved every second of it.

I am 99.9% set on getting a Clio 200 with the cup chassis however I am unsure whether to just go for it and order a new one or cut the cost and get one second hand... that decision will come after a couple of weeks of work if I can resist the temptation of having my very own new car!

I'm going to categorise a few questions and give you the background so that you have more information to help me with my decisions.

Recaro seats
My family live down in Yorkshire (Wakefield/Barnsley to be precise) and I will be visiting them a 2-3 times a year at 370 miles a trip (yes, one way!!!). Are the recaros comfortable for this length of time? Also, are they easy for day to day in and out of the car? For comfort (and a bit more style) would anyone recommend the standard seats, I've never seen them...?

Bluetooth touch radio
I couldn't exactly find any info on this so... what the heck is the touch radio? Is it just steering wheel access to the stereo and a bluetooth connection?

Reanultsport monitor
Does the Clio monitor have the throttle mapping similar to the Megane or just the basic g-meter, acceleration features?

Cup chassis
Do people deal with the cup chassis? It seemed quite 'considerate' when I went for the test drive last weekend.

I think there's a couple more questions but my mind has decided to forget. I'm sure they will come back to me at some point.

Also, hello! It looks like you've got a nice forum here with many helpful people!

Cheers,

Will

:welcome:mate
you will have loads of replys for and against your options
the choice will yours

Welcome to the site. Sorry I can't help you with your questions, I have a 197 with normal seats. Mine does have bluetooth, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the one in the 200.

Welcome.

Ive got a 200 Cup. (Im also a final year Uni student aswell, finish 27th May :wink:)

Mine is pretty bog standard tbh. What I can say is that the Cup suspension isnt that harsh a ride, but then again, im comparing it to one of my old cars, which was slammed on coilovers :wink:
The only option mine has is the Cup Spoiler, which I added myself after delivery of the car (as it cost me £200 less than the original price).
Before deciding on whether to go new or second hand, id decide on exactly what spec you want and then take it from there. Also check out the pcp deals on the car. I dont think they are as competitive now, but could make a good deal for you.

The recaros i find really comfortable..have done a few long trips in them. Get the cup chassis for sure..makes the car more alive 8)
Welcome btw...

I got my 200 6 months ago, so heres my input!

Recaro seats
I drove 200s with both recaro and standard seats. For me, the recaros are way too harsh for everyday driving, and completely change the feel of the car. If you plan on using the car a lot, do not overlook the standard seats. Very comfortable yet supportive.

Bluetooth touch radio
Its excellent, get it. I connect my phone and iphone touch simultaneously via bluetooth with no problems at all.

Reanultsport monitor
Doesn't have throttle mapping like the Megane. Is very geeky but cool. I got it because at £140 extra (with the bluetooth) its a bargain, and its handy for the oil temp.

Cup chassis
I've got the cup chassis (with standard seats). I drive mine every day with no problems. Its only ever harsh over the worst bumps (which I try and avoid), and is surprisingly refined on a run / motorway. When you start throwing the car around, you'll be glad you did. Get it, you need it!

For me, the recaros are way too harsh for everyday driving, and completely change the feel of the car. If you plan on using the car a lot, do not overlook the standard seats. Very comfortable yet supportive.

can't agree there. i've done 2 800 mile trips (to germany and from germany back home) and have no gripes whatsoever.

Recaro seats
My family live down in Yorkshire (Wakefield/Barnsley to be precise) and I will be visiting them a 2-3 times a year at 370 miles a trip (yes, one way!!!). Are the recaros comfortable for this length of time? Also, are they easy for day to day in and out of the car? For comfort (and a bit more style) would anyone recommend the standard seats, I've never seen them...?

Very comfy, I drive mine almost every day and have done 3-400 miles in a day (almost none stop) and got out feeling fine.

Bluetooth touch radio
I couldn't exactly find any info on this so... what the heck is the touch radio? Is it just steering wheel access to the stereo and a bluetooth connection?
Not sure on the bluetooth but not heard anyone complain about it, the touch aspect might refer to the steering wheel controls? not sure....

Cup chassis
Do people deal with the cup chassis? It seemed quite 'considerate' when I went for the test drive last weekend.

It's full of win, certainly stiff but as long as you don't go diving into pot holes then it's fine for everyday (as above I use mine almost every day).

Something not to overlook when considering recaros is how many pies you eat and or plan to eat during your ownership. They are more suited to the slimmer build. I have got standard seats but wish I had recaros

Cup chassis and bluetooth is a must have imo

I had a 200 and done 4k in it in 2 months then sold it again.

Long drives ain't comfy(I didn't even have cup pack). The Recaro's were good when you wanted to rip it down some back roads but the rest of the time they were a pain, high side bolsters make getting in and out a bit of ball ache(quite litteraly if you don't do it right). Also they are rock solid.

IF I was to order again...I probably wouldn't get the Recaro's.

What do you drive atm?

Cheers for all the input so far. I didn't get to drive the recaros so I'm not sure how i'll fit as I am 95kg and 6ft 3".

From what a few people have said, I reckon I would be better with standard seats but that's something I can worry about in five weeks when my exams are over.

I currently drive a battered 02 focus 1.6 zetec so nothing too uncomfortable and nothing really to compare with.

I think i'm sold on the cup chassis as I'm not going to be travelling long distances every day and probably not even driving it most days.

Good morning everyone,

I have been hanging around for a little while a finally decided to sign up. The reason I have tried to stop myself from signing up is because my final year exams at University start in two weeks and I didn't want to get obsessed!!

When my exams finish on 26th May I move up to Aberdeen to start a job with an oil company on the next Monday. So, from the student world of having no money, I'm going to be earning a reasonable salary.

Last week I stupidly went and test drove one and loved every second of it.

I am 99.9% set on getting a Clio 200 with the cup chassis however I am unsure whether to just go for it and order a new one or cut the cost and get one second hand... that decision will come after a couple of weeks of work if I can resist the temptation of having my very own new car!

I'm going to categorise a few questions and give you the background so that you have more information to help me with my decisions.

Recaro seats

Bluetooth touch radio

Reanultsport monitor
Does the Clio monitor have the throttle mapping similar to the Megane or just the basic g-meter, acceleration features?

Cup chassis

I think there's a couple more questions but my mind has decided to forget. I'm sure they will come back to me at some point.

Also, hello! It looks like you've got a nice forum here with many helpful people!

Cheers,

Will

Hi mate.

I have a 200 with cup chassis and this time (i previously had a 197) I do not have the Recaros. This is isn't because I didn't want them perticularly, its because A) The missus didn't like them, because she is a girl and B) at the time we were saving for a wedding. I really miss them, and want them in my next car. In my 197 I did 20k, and they were just fantastic.

Bluetooth? - Get it. Period.

Monitor? - Don't know, never used it but I do know there is no throttle mapping.

Cup Chassis
TBH, is anyone says its harsh, or they can't live with it, or they went on a long trip and it was awful then they must be made of glass. Its fine, absolutely fine.

Must have options are cup chassis, Bluetooth and monitor (monitor as it's so cheap with the Bluetooth), and a wheel option. I went black speedline

Sometimes I wish I had Recaros, other times I'm glad I've got the standard seats. I don't think there's a particularly right or wrong answer on this front.

The only other thing I would spec was a spoiler, I think they look naked without one. I went GT, but again, both options look great

Get the recaros. I've had them on a 197 and now my 200. They look special and are so supportive, complimenting the performance of the car.

They are very very comfortable and I've done tens of thousands of miles in them with no problems. Initially getting in and out is a bit different but it's a sports car and most decent sports cars have bucket seats!

You've now gone and sold me on recaros... although I would still like to check if a big person like me fits well in them. I'll be fine with them, I'll just have to tell the other half that she's dealing with them...

My options would be:
Bluetooth radio and monitor
Black speedline wheels
Recaros
Cup chassis

It means I might have to wait a couple more months to get more money saved or look out for one second hand with all/most options.

Does anyone know if Renault dealers offer the 0% finance deals on second hand cars (not PCP)? I was offered 0% finance with a slightly larger deposit so I'm just wondering.

The only reason I ask on here instead of asking the dealer is that some don't give you the time of day...

Not sure really, I'd be hard pushed to choose between the two blues, black, white, silver or yellow (but only 2nd hand because it's over £1k for the pleasure!).

So basically, the only colours I'm not really fussed on are grey, green and red!