Clio 197 Track Build

Them white alloys aren't speedlines. Speedlines have a line on each spoke on the face and also the cut out isn't as triangular as yours.. I'd be having a word with whoever sold you them.

Oh well, never mind - they look pretty much the same to me and they're only track wheels. I'm not going to get hung up on what the name of my wheels are. Thanks for your interest though :smile:

Oh well, never mind - they look pretty much the same to me and they're only track wheels. I'm not going to get hung up on what the name of my wheels are. Thanks for your interest though :smile:

It wasn't about the name. It was more the fact i was worried you had been sold them as speedlines which cost A LOT more than the ones you have. Glad you like them though and cars looking good :smile:

Car is coming on very nicely. Quality build to. PROPER !!!

******Why does everyone get so wrapped-up on the Speedlines.

I pretty much hate mine - mainly because they are such a bitch to clean, and i cant really fit my hands between the spokes. Kinda wished id have put powder-coating money toward something else; but thats another story.

I mean; there not THAT good looking, they are a pain to clean.....and they arent even stupidly light are they (10kg+) ?

So whats the fascination..................

I agree, I have Speedlines as that's what was on the car, but I actually prefer the graphite wheels that only come with the cup chassis. For me the Speedlines are only good because so many people seem to like them & therefore it'll help when the time comes to sell the car. No plans to sell for many years yet though.

Car is coming on very nicely. Quality build to. PROPER !!!

I pretty much hate mine - mainly because they are such a bitch to clean, and i cant really fit my hands between the spokes. Kinda wished id have put powder-coating money toward something else; but thats another story.

I mean; there not THAT good looking, they are a pain to clean.....and they arent even stupidly light are they (10kg+) ?

So whats the fascination..................

Agreed they dont feel too light (compared to my silverstones). I think the facination is a 'hangover' from the Mk2's and the cups with the speedline turinis, if that makes sense.

Standby for updates...

Been super busy the last month or so, lots of updates to come, will start adding tomorrow.

I've had a NIGHTMARE with AST. It turns out the springs on the 5100s were wrong, they were the road version and so no good for me. I've been on to AST for over 3 weeks in order to try and sort this, and after muchos trouble i've finally wrangled a set of Eibachs out of them which were delivered yesterday (but i missed the delivery :bye2:smile:. Collecting them from the depot tomorrow, and will get them swapped over and fitted.

Since the last update i've done the following:

Brake Overhaul - Goodridge Lines, new calipers to front, DS1.11 pads to front DS2500 to rear, MTEC C-Hook discs all round, ATE fluid and flush, 21mm hubcentric spacers all round, new anti-roll bar links and anti-rotation links (trying to get rid of the dreaded "Steering Click".

Test Drive / Shakedown tomorrow before a full setup at Westbourne Motorsport on Wednesday...

Keeping it quiet from the missus!!

Hopefully all all worth while, will find out on Wednesday when I go for the setup. I'm really hoping the new suspensions links have sorted the clicking on full lock too - if not will have to try the swivel bearings next and failing that a new rack :-(

Right. Another mammoth update.

So we left off with a nightmare from AST. Curtis finally sent through the correct springs after much d*cking about, so i now have 80nm springs on both front and rear. Eibachs on the front and AST springs on the rear. Rear springs are a funny size, so getting them elsewhere is a bit of a problem, hence the wait.

IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

Now that these were fitted i could finally get it setup. Booked a day over a Westbourne Motorsport, who are local to me and are heavily involved with the Clio Cup. Where else is a better place to get the geo setup?!

In the meantime, i fitted a sunstrip, and my shiny white wheels, did the brake overhaul and ended up here.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

New droplinks and anti rotation links... unfortunately still not cured the clunky steering. :-(

Forgot to mentioned the 20mm hubcentric spacers and stud conversion... :smile:

Last edited:
Went for a test drive - 3-4 miles to bed in the brakes and see if anything fell off - all good. Apart from the serious brake dust, this might be an issue!!!

IMG_0113.jpg

Yesteday was my trip to Westboune Motorsport, fantastic place and excellent guys down there - loads of fun. Met James Colburn, lovely bloke.

Some of the cars in the workshop (they run around 20 cars in different championships). The white one and the yellow one are genuine Cup Racers, and the Black one is a road series conversion. All stonking cars.

IMG_0121.jpg

And my little RB sitting underneath Sarah Franklins Road Series Racer!!

IMG_0122.jpg

I should also say that in order to get the car low enough, we have taken the spacers off so that the tyre fits under the arch. So i have a set of 4 20mm hubcentric spacers about to go in the for sale section. less than 2 weeks old and driven maybe 50 miles. lol